• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you respond?

30 posts in this topic

I have this auction which I got the following question:

Q: Hi The 1942-P type 2 is different from the 1942 is that because it has the "P" and the "P"is over the building! MS66! is that a little over MS65 and not as good as a PF65! Thanks

The first question you can ask yourself is whether you want to respond at all. If this is an MS-66 graded by NGC or PCGS, you should not have trouble finding another buyer. I would not respond because I'm not interested in explaining such basic concepts and terminology to someone who obviously knows nothing about coins.

It sounds like he doesn't understand the difference bewteen the type 1 & 2. I would at least let him know that the type 1 without P is the nickel, and the type2 with P is the silver. Grading he should be able to figure out on his own.

A little kindness goes a long way. I would of course answer the question about the difference in the type 1 and 2. I don't think that the hint about telling them to do research is needed. Just because they might not know as much about coins all of you is no reason to not respond. Also the "hint" might come off as your just a jerk that does not have time for them or to others they will think your calling them dumb. Either way you loose a customer and while you can probably find other buyers for this coin. A highly satisfied customer that comes back is always great to have.

Never any harm in educating any interested collector, or soon to be collector.

None of us were born with the knowledge, coin knowledge or otherwise, that we have today. In many cases people took time to explain something to us.

In reality, it would only take a few minutes to reply with good information for this guy (gal).

Paul

Amazingly enough, not 3 minutes after writing my reply here, I received this note from an eBayer. He asked me a few questions the other day that would have been easy to blow off.

I took a few minutes to answer him. Obviously to his satisfaction....even if it means we never do business, who cares. Perhaps it makes the world a little better place.....

"Wanted to say how refreshing it was to get a coin dealer who was happy about answering questions*(1909-1940 Xf-AU collection). Because of your good attitude i've decided to put this coin on my want list.

Continuted good luck in your business ventures."

Hey, he made me feel good too !

This is my reply:

Ok, type 2 means that it was made partially out of silver instead of nickel

due to the war. To distinquish these coins they placed the mint mark over

the building instead of beside it. Yes MS 66 is better than MS65. PF65

stands for a coin that is proof which is different method of manufactoring

so they should not be compared to each other.

and here was his response:

YES-I thought thats was it was but wanted to make sure I was somewhat

right.

Thanks for your time.

I think that was a reasonable response dwaine!

Very much so. Especially meaningful when your response gets a reply.

Paul

Ignoring such users is a mistake as they are the ones that usually start and end up WINNING 'bidding wars' because of your kindnesses.

Your losses are my gain :)

I answer all questions to the best of my ability - Good Job "D"

Ignoring such users is a mistake as they are the ones that usually start and end up WINNING 'bidding wars' because of your kindnesses.

Your losses are my gain :)

I answer all questions to the best of my ability - Good Job "D"

(thumbs u

Yeah, good job. You answered it quickly, clearly, and simply. And that's all he needed. If someone didn't take the time to help you understand when you were a beginner, you wouldn't know the difference either. Always take the time to share a bit of your knowledge if possible, because what good is it otherwise? This guy wasn't rude, offensive, argumentative, arrogant, or any of the other qualities which I hate and which I would not waste my time on. He was just rather confused.

I agree and I actually responded before I created this thread. I think it is very important for sellers to respond to such questions.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

the only ones you dont answer are the obvious crooks. like everyday i get a question on how much shipping is on an item number. if the crook would research i am not selling anything so it can be genuine :)

A little kindness goes a long way. I would of course answer the question about the difference in the type 1 and 2. I don't think that the hint about telling them to do research is needed. Just because they might not know as much about coins all of you is no reason to not respond. Also the "hint" might come off as your just a jerk that does not have time for them or to others they will think your calling them dumb. Either way you loose a customer and while you can probably find other buyers for this coin. A highly satisfied customer that comes back is always great to have.

Well said my fellow Okie. (thumbs u

The guy is sincere, why wouldn't you want to educate him on the fundamentals? (shrug)

Well said my fellow Okie. (thumbs u

The guy is sincere, why wouldn't you want to educate him on the fundamentals? (shrug)

Fellow okie,

Where are you from?

In my year and a few months here, I have certainly asked my share of "dumb" questions....or maybe they were just "lack of basic knowledge" questions. (Someone even wrote me humorously and said that everyone had a daily allowance of dumb questions). Without exception, I have gotten great answers and courteous replies. That is my policy too when selling on E-Bay. Sometimes it takes a little time to answer or explain something, but the ole' school teacher in me makes me WANT to educate.

Dwaine, you did well. Now if it were me, being the longwinded :censored: that I am, I might have explained "proof" and why they are different...but I'm the retired one and have the time...and enjoy doing it...even if it is for a "kid".

Arizona, none of my business, because coins ARE your business, but is it possible that you might increase your customer base if you took a few minutes to reply? Or, maybe NO sales would result from your efforts but just helping someone learn is a good feeling. I've been on both sides...a learner (!) and occasionally a teacher and I get a distinct benefit from both sides.

I know...aw SHUT UP, RI AL!! :boo:

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you can sell him fishing equipment.”— unknown

Give them enough information to get them interested in your item, and then direct them to your other listing which offers the sale of one Red Book. :)

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you can sell him fishing equipment.”— unknown

Give them enough information to get them interested in your item, and then direct them to your other listing which offers the sale of one Red Book. :)

Dude , I love this guy ! Spoken like a true Capitalist Entrepreneur !

...plus it feels good to help someone out too , along the way :whistle: ?

Ya' gotta' love it!!! Well said, xJack!

I have this auction which I got the following question:

Q: Hi The 1942-P type 2 is different from the 1942 is that because it has the "P" and the "P"is over the building! MS66! is that a little over MS65 and not as good as a PF65! Thanks

How would you respond?

67396-delete-key.jpg

He provided the most important element to the post--thank you for your time. Very seldom is that offered any longer and I feel that it pays for a little of our time.

Jim

Great, great point. Help the little guy, and you will have a long-time customer.