• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade this 1926 S Nickel

11 posts in this topic

The following information was given me by Ron Pope in PDF form, compiled form a still ongoing study that started in July, 2001 of 350,000 coins-mostly from the internet and personal experience of 48 years of studying the series.

"Counter to it’s reputation, this date usually comes with a decent strike-a trend that occurs for the next four years with regard to the San Francisco issues. A good number are found struck from worn dies, but not to the extent of previous years. Horn and hair detail on the head of the Bison are usually complete, but not sharp-few coins show an incomplete horn due to the strike. It’s doubtful that a true full strike exists for this date."

Out of 682 seen and recorded 9% had weak strikes, 69% had typical buffalo strikes, 23% had good strikes and 0% had full strikes.

BTW - I like your '26-S. It beats the heck out of mine which is a couple of notches above poor.

On first look I was going to go with F15. The half-horn and nearly separated Liberty stand out. The weak date is a drawback.

Really nice coin for a really tough date/mm.