• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest PCGS grades

26 posts in this topic

1) same

2) upgrade from 62

3) both were previously ungraded

4) downgrade from a 63

5) downgrade from a 62

6) upgrade from a 63

7) same but I dipped the coin before

8 & 9) formerly NGC PR68* Cam

10)upgrade from 63 *SCORE*

11-16)all bought raw w/ no surprises

Most images can be seen in my type registry set. Click on banner below

70412.jpg.5d168d0aa63dd1f0cc23fa8ff68cd8e0.jpg

Nice scores, with the exceptions of #4 and #5. How do you feel about those two? I could certainly understand and even justify a drop of one point, but 7 and 8 point? Were they that over graded in their old holders?

I cracked the '56 proofs for my Dansco 7070. (I know, not smart) but the PCGS price guide shows the dime is now worth more than both of 'em in NGC holders.

The 1831 HD is gorgeous. I see no rub on it to make it a 58, let alone an AU55. Same goes for the lg ct.

Yes, this submission turned out nicely overall. I knew the one coin would bb but I decided to chance it since it looks decent.

Thanks for the comments, y'all. ;)

I wonder about #4 & 5 too??? What type of holder were these coins in before and did you think these coins would upgrade? Because a lot of money went out the window with these downgrades. :(

They were in NGC holders but both cost less than $200 and the PCGS price guide puts the dime at over $300 so no big loss but I did like the matching PR68* pair. I didn't shoot for an upgrade.

Still, I regret cracking them.

They were in NGC holders but both cost less than $200 and the PCGS price guide puts the dime at over $300 so no big loss but I did like the matching PR68* pair. I didn't shoot for an upgrade.

Still, I regret cracking them.

I should never have sold you those :makepoint:

I bought the 1927 S Peace dollar in a NGC63 slab from Carl Wohlforth in the marketplace a few years ago and it came back 64. That's good considering how extremely tight they were grading just last month based upon another of my submissions with some coins having a history of multiple gradings at the same grade but came back a point lower.

They were more generous with the cameo designation, though.

Ok, so you must have meant to say,

"10)upgrade from 63 *SCORE*"

instead of

"10)upgrade from 64 *SCORE*"

That would have made more sense to me at least. Congrats on the whole submission though, sounds like there were more than a few winners.

Thanks, Brewster! It certainly came back better than the first batch of coins which blew this order away in terms of quality. You imaged most of them which included lots of my early proofs. All PQ. Too many were downgraded 'cause of the reindeer games the grading services play.

How's it been going for you, bud? I think we've both been keeping a low profile on the boards lately. :þ

Well, I got this submission back today. No real complaints but I can see Coinman1794's point now about the grading services jacking with our coins without our consent.

The former 1831 NGC MS61 Half Dime had developed some nice peripheral album toning. It is now blast white. I liked it better before.

The former 1862 MS62 IHC came back better than before. The color is now more natural, some reverse spotting is now gone and it upgraded to MS63.

Although the pictures of the former 1927 S NGC MS63 Peace Dollar now has different surfaces. It wasn't dipped in acid but it was cleaned by something. I liked it better before but, hey, I'm not complaining since it came back as a 64, adding $1000 plus to the value of the coin.

Still, I think NGC and PCGS' practice of altering our coins w/o our permission is inherently wrong, even if we benefit from the "service".

I submitted this batch of coins with the rest on Nov. 12th but it wasn't graded until 2 weeks into December but the bb'd coin did not return in an "original" slab but in a body bag.

My 2c worth of experience for y'all to chew on.

no way, no how that 1831 H10C is an AU-55. Uh-Uh

Hey, Rich, fancy meeting you here! :grin: See, I told you! And the rub is only apparent in the right light, so AU58 it is. Bummer 'cause I gave strong MS money for it. :P

Hey, Mike. I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondered why we haven't seen you much.

Sorry, teach, I got no permission.