• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dude, what is UP with the mint?????

26 posts in this topic

So I am cleaning out my e-mail inbox, and I come across an e-mail from the US Mint, and I suddenly remember, I ordered a Wright Bros dollar and half along with the eagle, and I still have not received the dollar or half! 893whatthe.gif I ordered on 9/13 and it was originally supposed to ship on 9/30, and it's been so long I forgot about it!!! makepoint.gif Now it says they are scheduled to ship on 10/28, over a week ago and I still have nothing!!! What is their major malfunction????? 893frustrated.gifsign-rantpost.gif893censored-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.giftonofbricks.gif

No, I have dealt with the mint every year going back to 1986, but this is by far the worst situation I've ever experienced.

I think when the mint splits up orders the problems start. Whenever I have ordered I got everything atonce, but those I know who get some of their order with the rest to follow always end up with problems? confused-smiley-013.gif

The LAST time I dealt with the mint I ordered a mint set. I think it was the 1999 first year state quarter thing. The coins were absolute CR*AP. I'll never order from them again....

Oh...but I got them on time! laugh.gif

jom

I'm disgusted with the United States Mint.

sign-rantpost.gif

Just a week ago we had the pleasure of hearing Henrietta Holsman Fore on Coin Talk Radio bloviating ad nauseum to poor Jim Hunt about how the Mint's customers are delighted because the Mint is delivering everything on time and with Cartier calibre perfection.

Well, EXCUSE ME Ms. Fore, but you obviously aren't ordering a thing from your own organization.

Here are my recent experiences:

- Ordered two proof sets and two proof Silver Eagles. All four had unacceptable eye visible defects. Returned them FOR EXCHANGE. Weeks later, after hearing nothing whatsoever from the Mint brain trust, I deduced that they'd unilaterally decided I could screw the pooch and take a refund instead.

- Ordered proof Gold Eagle four coin set. Three of the four had unacceptable eye visible defects.

- Simultaneously ordered two uncirculated and two proof Wright Brothers $10 gold coins. Received the uncirculated coins relatively quickly and was impressed by the quality of both (yay). Suffered through an approximately ONE MONTH backorder on the proof coins. When they arrived, both had obvious eye visible flaws, probably from the die itself. Returned both proof coins FOR EXCHANGE. Once again, as above, heard nothing for weeks. Ultimately phoned the Mint and learned I was the proud recipient of A REFUND AS YET TO BE CREDITED instead of an exchange. When I questioned the Mint rep about how this could happen twice and what SHE WAS PREPARED TO DO to ensure this didn't continue to inconvenience other customers, she exhibited the typical fat-arsed government lackey CAN'T-DO attitude.

- On September 26, ordered a bunch of the 50c and $1.00 Wright Brothers coins in both uncirculated and proof versions. I have yet to see a single coin from this order.

While I apologize to this forum for unloading my personal Mint experiences, I must nonetheless state that I'M NOT IMPRESSED by this year's delivery, customer service, or coin quality.

But hey, they have nice inoffensive state quarter designs, so I guess one out of four ain't bad. acclaim.gif

893blahblah.gif

Beijim

I think when the mint splits up orders the problems start. Whenever I have ordered I got everything atonce, but those I know who get some of their order with the rest to follow always end up with problems? confused-smiley-013.gif

THIS is exactly what the problem is. I called the mint last week and this was the jest of the conversation. Instead of filling the orders all at once, they are filling orders one item at a time and are filling them on a first come, first serve basis.

Still, I ordered the Wildlife medals in June but have only received the first. I'm still waiting for the silver commems.

I finally got the one dollar first flight uncirculated two days ago. It was ordered 9-24. I'm still waiting on the proof $1 and both fifty cent pieces. I also am still waiting on the last two wildlife medals.

I received five (5) uncirculated $1 coins yesterday. Of these, two have unacceptable and eye visible flaws, and the other three have various and sundry small breaks in the satin finish. After all the blather about improved quality, it's very discouraging that you can't get even one splendid example among a sample of five.

Beijim

Latest update:

Expected ship date moved to 11/14, then 11/21, and I just checked today and now they are expected to ship on 12/1!!!! I ordered them on 9/13!!!! ALMOST 3 MONTHS!!! 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Ok, I finally got the silver dollar last week, but I am still waiting for the half...now scheduled to ship on 12/22, only 3 1/2 months after I ordered it... 893frustrated.gif

Ditto. I finally have both dollars but not a whisper from the halves. I am still waiting for the last two silver mint medals, too.

And ...

I am still waiting for the British Numismatic Society silver 2003 medal which I ordered at least two months ago.

I am still waiting for the Canadian $20 Northern Lights hologram coin which has been at least a month since I've ordered it.

So, apparently all three country's mints are getting hammered with demand. I guess that 2003 really is a bull's market. However, since I don't own a cow, I certainly don't need their bull. smirk.gif It is just poor customer service.

EUREKA!!!! I finally received the last coin in this order, my unc. WB half yesterday only 96 days after I placed my order! WOO HOOO!!!! At least the coin looked good enough for me not to send it back.

EUREKA!!!! I finally received the last coin in this order, my unc. WB half yesterday only 96 days after I placed my order! WOO HOOO!!!! At least the coin looked good enough for me not to send it back.

Don't you realize they spent all the time trying to find just the right coin for you? Quit complaining! laugh.gif

jom

I received an "invitation" from the mint quite some time ago, to purchase their WB FF $1 Silver Proofs. On the card was the statement about how these were a limited edition of 500,000, so I immediately went online with them, put in a order for 10 as a subsciption addition to my others. Shortly after that, I changed my mind about the quantity and had to call them to make the change from ordering 10 to just 5 as you cannot do this online. She did this and that is how many I received on 10/29. All were in excellent shape.

Maybe the fact that you are a subscriber to their products instead of ordering piecemeal as stuff you want comes out, makes a difference in how they ship. Not sure, and it shouldn't make any difference. However, they may look at it as a "loyal and in good standing member" of their services gets better and faster service from them.

It is quite possible that they have "sold out" the 500,000 and have too many orders already agreed to fulfill. Rather then disappoint their oh so many loyal customers, they will not admit to this, and are instead, tooling up to produce more of them to fill orders. I hope this is NOT the case, as the main reason for my purchase was because of its limited mintage. Don't know what I'll do if I find out the above turns out to be true. Many on the other side of the street are having the same problems as most of you here have discussed.

I received an "invitation" from the mint quite some time ago, to purchase their WB FF $1 Silver Proofs. On the card was the statement about how these were a limited edition of 500,000, so I immediately went online with them, put in a order for 10 as a subsciption addition to my others. Shortly after that, I changed my mind about the quantity and had to call them to make the change from ordering 10 to just 5 as you cannot do this online. She did this and that is how many I received on 10/29. All were in excellent shape.

Maybe the fact that you are a subscriber to their products instead of ordering piecemeal as stuff you want comes out, makes a difference in how they ship. Not sure, and it shouldn't make any difference. However, they may look at it as a "loyal and in good standing member" of their services gets better and faster service from them.

It is quite possible that they have "sold out" the 500,000 and have too many orders already agreed to fulfill. Rather then disappoint their oh so many loyal customers, they will not admit to this, and are instead, tooling up to produce more of them to fill orders. I hope this is NOT the case, as the main reason for my purchase was because of its limited mintage. Don't know what I'll do if I find out the above turns out to be true. Many on the other side of the street are having the same problems as most of you here have discussed.

Well, first off, the mint cannot arbitrarily mint more as the limit was set by Congress (otherwise they'd probably still be minting Buffalo dollars!). As for the preferred customer thing, that may be true, however it makes little sense in my case, since 1) I order the gold coin, which automatically upgraded me to free FEDEX next day shipping, and not just for the gold but for the whole order. 2) The gold came quicky, but the silver proof sets, silver dollar and half were all sent in separate FEDEX packages on different occasions, the last one yesterday, which the fee for the overnight shipping probably exceeded the $9.75 I paid for the half pre-issue. 3) You would think in this case they would want to expedite my shipment at least as much as a preferred customer just because of the cost involved.

Finally, as for the subscription program, I tried it but left it because of the difficulty changing it, and the idea that I just wanted to make one order per year just for the point of reducing shipping costs, which only worked on my side this time as I only paid $3.95 for 4 separate Fedex shipments! foreheadslap.gif

Yep, me too. I actually received both the proof and mint halves on the same day. Now, I just need the last two wildlife medals.

I'm moving on Tuesday, I just hope that my change of address won't delay things further.