• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you do with your culls?

24 posts in this topic

I have ordered a few mint sets this year and split them up. Taking the best

coins and submitting them for grading. Now I have a bunch of left over coins,

and broken up mint sets. I keep samples of each coin for my intercept shield

albums (yes I collect raw coins) but the rest of the leftovers I usually roll

up and just deposit into my checking account. What do you guys do with yours? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gif

I have a whole file card box full of partial mint sets dating from the 1960's through 2003 that are missing the dollars, plus halves and/or State Quarters (in sets that had the quarters). I guess when I die, my kids can make change out of them.

Sold all my culls and most of my coins at this point. All I have right now are my gold coins, several nice silver coins, several nice coppers, and a happier bank account. I'm selling most of everything while the market is high and go for quality (and cheap) coins till the market flattens and then buy all the same coins for less than today's prices.

Neil

I give stuff to my son (age 5). He loves to receive an old coin no matter what condition.

I recently got him a LOW grade large cent. I think he may take that one in for show and tell.

I gave my 5 1/2 year old son a cull bust quarter last week. It's a dateless large size bust quarter that is holed and also bent. His attorney called me yesterday to inform me that I am being sued for "transferring of sub-standard numismatic junk to a minor". They want to settle out of court for a nice, certified VF-35 bust quarter.

tonofbricks.gif

sign-funnypost.gif thats too funny Dennis!!! 27_laughing.gif Attorneys, scourge of the earth! I do have a nephew in Illinois that I send some of my lower grade slabs to. He just loves them. Has shown them off at school and to freinds. He's getting to the point where he has his dad getting coins for him now. With any luck dad will be a collector too!!!! thumbsup2.gif

That is what I need to do is sell some stuff!! I have over 400 certified coins and probably a couple hundred raw coins. I am sure that I could live without about half of the certified coins, some of the Registry Sets and most of the raw coins. foreheadslap.gif

We give a lot of coins away to kids at shows. Also, contribute many to "kiddie auctions". Sometimes, the only "sales" we have at a show are the coins we give away..... but seriously, it's a great way to spark a future collector's interest in coins.

James

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I've been spending dateless Standing Liberty quarters the past few weeks, but they're a tough sell. Most people refuse them, believing them to be foreign coins. I tried them in the vending machines here at NGC, but they usually fall straight through to the coin return. I suppose the current generation of machines don't recognize coins that are so thin from wear.

Check the weight. Even with the wear it would not surprise me if the standing quarters are still too heavy for todays machines to accept them. If they weigh over 5.8 grams they will be rejected. (New silver quarter weighs 6.25 +/- .19 grams so it would have to lose somewhere around .4 grams or twice legal tolerance in order to work.) I would be surprised if the electromagnetic signature was right as well. Silver should have a higher conductivity and a lower magnetic flux density than a clad.

Check the weight. Even with the wear it would not surprise me if the standing quarters are still too heavy for todays machines to accept them. If they weigh over 5.8 grams they will be rejected. (New silver quarter weighs 6.25 +/- .19 grams so it would have to lose somewhere around .4 grams or twice legal tolerance in order to work.) I would be surprised if the electromagnetic signature was right as well. Silver should have a higher conductivity and a lower magnetic flux density than a clad.

Conder,

Actually, the conductivity of silver and clad coinage is identical. That is why, in 1965, they did so many trial patterns with differing alloys.

Actually, the conductivity of silver and clad coinage is identical. That is why, in 1965, they did so many trial patterns with differing alloys.

I've heard that explaination before and while I admit I haven't run any tests, I find the assertion hard to swallow. Silver have better conductivity than either copper or nickel (in fact it is better than any other substance). I find it hard to belive that you can mix the two, plus add two boundary zones and get the same conductivy of silver. (Plus coin mechanisiums were cruder back then and I don't believe they used conductivity as a test. Most were strictly mechanical and simply tested for size, weight, and the presence of holes.

I see what you're saying. Magnetic lines of flux will follow the path of least resistance. So, clad coinage will have varying degrees of permeability.

I have a whole file card box full of partial mint sets dating from the 1960's through 2003 that are missing the dollars, plus halves and/or State Quarters (in sets that had the quarters). I guess when I die, my kids can make change out of them.

Hey DAD! OT3

If you don't have any use for all them unsearched mint set nickels from that "whole file card box full of partial mint sets dating from the 1960's through 2003 that are missing the dollars, plus halves and/or State Quarters," I usually buy these in bulk, anywhere from 12 to 30 cents a piece. What do you say? Can we work out a deal? And if you don't want to bother with cutting out the nickels, we can work out something there also.

A very serious offer!

Regards, your friend, Leo flowerred.gif

Leo: Let me look through and make a list of what I have. I believe that almost all the sets still have the nickels. I do not collect nickels (except for type). Give me a few days to complete the list and I will PM it to you when I am finished. I appreciate your interest. OT3 893scratchchin-thumb.gif