• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is this genuine?

7 posts in this topic

I can't speak with 100% authority, because I'm admittedly VERY new to Mexican coins, only having acquired my first six very recently.

Further, I haven't FULLY explored how this book is organized, so I can't swear that I didn't miss something.

However, the book I was referring to is the 2007 North American Coins & Prices, a Guide to U.S., Canadian, and Mexican Coins (by Krause Publications). Edited by David C. Harper

Pages 460-461 seem to depict this coin, the elements of the coin APPEAR to be there.

Here's what it mentions for specs: 27.0700g, 0.9030 Silver, .7859 oz. ASW OBV. Facing Eagle. Note: Varieties exist.

The photo shows the Libertad written in the radiating sun rays like your photo, and the * then 8R and a .G with the small "o" above it which I believe is the Mexico City mint mark. Photo has a . under the "o" then the date 1885. photo then shows S.B. but then in the list of years it shows 1885/75Go RR (I have NO idea what it means, but at it appears to refer to the RR on your coin, as opposed to the S.B.) then .10D and a dot with an "S" over it and then 20G and another . with an "S" over it

Can I swear that this coin is authentic? Not a chance.

All I can say is that it looks similar to the photo in the book, but must qualify that I am VERY new to Mexican coins, and would defer to ANY experts out there.

Of course it's real. It's just a cap and rays 8 real......I've had a hundred of them, and that one looks as nice as any.

Why would you think it's bad ? What am I missing here ?

Paul

I don't see anything here that would cause me to doubt this coin.

The Go is the mintmark but it is for the Guarajuato mint not Mexico City. The RR are the initials of either the engraver, the coiner, or both. I don't remember exactly and I'm taking the time to research and find out.

The 1885/75 means that this coin is an overdate. The 1885 either with or without the second 8 punched over a 7. From blowing up th picture it looks like there may be a 7 under that 8.

The 8R means that it is 8 Reales, the 10 Ds 20 Cs I believe refers to a weight standard.

You will notice that the coin has that "stretch" type toning often seen around the edge on original toned Morgan dollars. That tells me this is die struck and not cast and probably with old toning.

i just dont know, so i figured id ask. i saw it and had to have it but if it wasnt genuine i wouldnt want it. i grabbed it and thanks. ill let folks know what happens when i get it in hand.