• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A difficult parting...

45 posts in this topic

I recall one of our illustrious posters, Sunnywood, once say (something to the effect of) that it may seem difficult to build a collection, but that pales in comparison to parting with one. And so, that has been the case for me. I'll keep the story brief...

As a few of you know, my participation here and in other ways with the numismatic community has declined significantly since this summer. Last May, I fell short of work with my company, and instead of scrambling to find another job, I decided to return to school to do what I had chosen not to years ago: go to medical school. While my background is in biology, I had to return to school to pick up a couple of courses that were essential for my success, study for and take the MCATs and figure out a new way to make a living while doing all of that. In addition, my oldest daughter began college and my youngest and her ma (we've long been separated) moved back to California. Anyhow, the demands were great and it required a quick shift in perspective.

So, I first sold a large hunk of my coins in a private sale. Then I began selling coins on eBay like I never had. I also began doing a lot of buying and selling to keep afloat. I've written more for Coin Values but not nearly as much as in the past. However, the coin business is rough and I had to do a bit more. I was given a boost with coin consignments, but ultimately, I decided to sell my Jefferson nickel and buffalo nickel collections (at least most of each). So, today (January 5th) and tomorrow Superior is auctioning most of my nickels. I placed low reserves on them in order to sell, not sit in limbo.

Seeing one's coins sell is a tough thing to do, especially when, speaking for myself, I've put so much effort into finding them. I really loved those coins (my "Hoot's Bison bison" and "Hoot's Classic Jeffs"). It's doubly tough to take the risk of low reserves, since the coins simply are available for less than what I paid. Bear in mind that I often would pay extra for that extra-nice appeal. Yet, I remind myself that the support of my daughters and my change in career are at stake, and that's a reasonable motivation for me.

Oddly, I do not see my slate as being wiped clean, as if I have new beginnings in numismatics. Over time my tastes have changed, and my ideas about collecting have become more eclectic. Also, I still have a fairly significant core collection that I will part with more slowly and deliberately as time and circumstance demand.

These are good exercises in life, and I know that a few of you have done the same. The beauty of my collections remains with me and will for a very long time. And the lessons of having assembled my collections is something that is not replaceable, but also not lost. I consider myself now more of a practicing numismatist than I have ever been in my life. More than any contribution to that has been diligent study and a lot of writing. Those matters have been supplemented with the joy and pleasure of holding a few great coins in-hand. Yet, I know more about coins than ever before, and more than that, I've identified a lot of what I do not know. The heart of numismatics humbles the lucid mind.

As for medical school, I passed my courses with A's, scored well on the MCATs, completed my primary applications and interviews, and have a few secondary applications completed. I presently have one interview scheduled with a school that has expressed interest, and will have more to come. Not bad for an old guy. I'll teach anatomy at the university this semester (another way of making a buck or two), will take another course for the goodness of it, and will continue to work my rear-end off with eBay stuff.

Coins have been good to me. I pray the same for each of you.

Hoot

Mark, it is sad to see collections as beautiful as yours broken apart, and I know that it was a very hard decision for you. I sincerely hope that your new career path will enable you further explore your numismatic endeavors.

Best wishes, my friend!

Chris

WOW! That sums it up for me. I hope you hit some home runs in your auctions. Anyhow wish you the best in Medical school. Besides Dr. Hooten has a nice ring to it. I am not sure many of the newer people here know you as well as some of us older posters. Anyhow point being is your knowledge of coins is incredible. Especially nickels. Hope to see you posting a bit more and good luck!

On a side note it is very very hard to part with a labor of love. In this case your nickel collections.

Good Luck in the continuation of the Novel "The Life and Times of Mark Hooten" - I have talked with you on a few accaisions and was always inspired by your honesty ad candor.

You did not have to take the time to stop in and recite the developments in your life as of late, but you did, always keeping your collecting friends and others involved in your life.

THE Family and the Support thereof will always take precedence over all.

Keep up the forward progress, always looking back with a smile, thinking you have come so far, but knowing you have far longer journey ahead ...

"A's " huh ... arggghhhh ...

With Regards,

Mike

Sorry to hear of the turn in events for you. I have only been a member for a short time so I do not know you as well as the others on here.

I can tell that it was not an easy decision for you but in life one has to have priorites and these priorites are constantly changing.

Congratualtions on the grades and good luck.

Hoot----- I had known about your adventures. Life seems to throw us a lot of curve balls and 'humble pills' to swallow. Many of those things were NOT brought on by anything that we have done directly. They just seem to fall into our lap and we must deal with them.

I sold my CC 20 dollar gold collection in the late 1970's. I know both what it feels like to hunt and then to obtain nice coins. In my case, the selling was indeed tramatic. But, the reason was my dad. In your case it was your family too--including yourself. What better reason to sell a collection than that? It only proves that they are worth more to you than the coins. And, although the memory will always be there----a little sadness, I can assure you that you will ALWAYS think back on it and be glad that you did it. My selling is actually one of my finer 'coin' moments.

At any rate, whatever you get for the current coins, it will be put to good use. And your further education seems to be off to a fine start. I'd say that you have the thing under control---as best that you can do at the moment. Sounds to me like the doctor in you sat down and has had a plan. One that seems to be on the right track.So, I wish you well and God speed. And, please let us be kept informed here on the boards. You have been a GREAT help to a lot of folks here. You take care. Bob [supertooth]

Well HOOT, you're spirit is so great, that what unfolds before you is a gift in every way. Best of luck in your sale and all the good things that will come from it. What a great guy and good friend, and what a beautiful collection, that most assuredly will serve you well on the auction block.

Whew, for a second there I was afraid you were leaving the board entirely! Don't do that! Best of luck for your sale, your future endeavors, and everything else you attempt.

Cheers,

Michael

Well Hoot, ever since we had dinner during the Portland ANA, I knew you were a bit kooky, but it looks like you are doing the exact right thing for you and your family. Although it's hard, you will at least know what happens to the collection as opposed to if the job had been left with your heirs, so that should help soften the pain somewhat. Certainly I would bid on some of those nickels if it wasn't for the fact that I find the designs so darn ugly! :baiting: In any case I hope for the best results possible with the auction.

I wish you success in your new career, but knowing you, you'll put in all the hard work necessary to have the greatest of success in whatever you pursue. ^^

Mark,

I have enjoyed the opportunity to view your coins and I wish you all the best in your new personal endeavors both professionally and numismatically. I also wish you the best with the sale of your coins.

Rey

I had been wonering why you hadn't been posting much lately, because you were always such a knowledgeable and experienced numismatist, and a friendly poster, and I was missing you. I am sorry to hear that you are forced to sell such an amazing collection, but I know that you have made the right choice. You seem to be doing quite well with your new career move, so I wish you continued success. You will always have the support of the people here on these boards, and we look forward to watching you build your new collection and life.

Mark,

That is certainly great news about Med School and following your dreams while keeping a firm grip on your family and responsibilities. When it is all finished, you will be a double “Doctor” so that means you can charge twice the ordinary fee for medical care of twice the usual effectiveness!

The valued insights you brought to numismatics will, I think, be redoubled in your new career. With that the case, in you Montana will be getting one of the finest physicians and people anywhere to serve your patients.

The very best to you and your family!

Roger Burdette

Hoot, I have not known you long, nor personally at all, but I have enjoyed your various writings and posts herein. You have shared with us all a very passionate and personal eventfold in your life, and I thank your for that. When faced with adversity I remember an old proverb, I wish I knew whom to attribute it to, but unfortunately, I do not. In any event here it is as I know it:

“Long ago an Eastern monarch called his wise men together and asked them to invent a motto, a few magic words that would help him in time of trial or distress. It must be brief enough to be engraved on a ring to be ever present. It must be appropriate to every situation, as useful in prosperity as in adversity. It must be a motto wise and true and endlessly enduring, words by which a man could be guided all his life, in every circumstance, no matter what happened. The wise men finally came to the monarch with their magic words. They were words for every change or chance of fortune ... words to fit every situation, good or bad ... words to ease the heart and mind in every circumstance. The words they gave for the ring were: This, too, shall pass away.”

I wish you the greatest advantages this new year will bring for you and your family, who after all, make up the finest collection in one's life.

Jim

Howdy Hoot -

Been a while my friend. Sad to hear of you parting with your collection, but I can certainly understand as I experienced the same thing a couple of years ago. It is definitely not an easy undertaking. It produces a range of emtions that is unlike anything else that we experience in our lives.

But this comment of yours - " I consider myself now more of a practicing numismatist than I have ever been in my life." - that single sentence precisely embodies how I feel. For I have found that it is the study of the coins that I spent nearly 50 years collecting that I truly love, even more than the coins themselves. Yes I will always have the memories, and in my mind's eye there are those coins that I will never, ever forget for they are indelibly imprinted.

And Hoot, while this is probably one of the toughest things you will ever go through, always remember that sentence of yours above. Nothing can be more true. For we do not have to physically own coins to particpate in the hobby. It has allowed me to look at numismatics in an entirely different light and somehow, somehow I feel more connected with it than ever I did before. It is more intense, more complete, more pure if you will. And not worrying about owning a coin but instead learning about it, undertanding it, appreciating it in its fullest - well all I can say is that I enjoy it more than I ever did. I can only hope that you are able to feel the same way as I do now.

Each of you have some tremendously encouraging and insightful words that I can truly count on for continuing the direction I'm going and also staying alive in numismatics. I thank each and every one of you for your comments and support.

I may place in the registry my incomplete set of proof buffalos at some time, and may fiddle with text for my incomplete set of early proof Jefferson nickels. Neither set will grow, and both stand a fair likelihood of "going away." I also still have my "Transitional coins of 1836-1840" (albeit likely not for long), which I can take some time to add text to, and if PCGS will ever grade my coins, will add a couple of coins to that set which I've had for nearly a year. That set, interestingly, represents a lot of the direction my mind has gone with numismatics. Making connections between historical events and the coinage of the time is, to me, the most fascinating aspect of this hobby. Coins, in and of themselves, are interesting, but only history brings them alive. And as Doug said, one does not have to own a coin to be involved in such appreciation.

So, on I go, and as time allows, I will still post here. My absence does not reflect my interest.

Be well, each of you, and have a grand 2008.

Hoot

Go with grace and good luck, Hoot. I also, due to divorce, illness, plus bearing children's private university educational costs, have sold 80% of my collection in the past two years. My collecting aspirations will never reach the same level again because I am disabled, retired and living on fixed income. However, my children are educated and doing well. Plus, I am remarried and my new wife and I are very happy.

My activity level on this site has also declined as my collecting activity has waned. It just isn't the same anymore. Hopefully, when you become an M.D., as well as a PhD. (if you have time), you be able to rekindle your interests in coin collecting. I have known you through this site since it's inception and although we have never met, I consider you a friend and wish you all the best.

Oldtrader3

I honestly believe that selling off large sections of your collection can be a very freeing experience. I find myself tied to certain areas of my collection and almost feel obligated to continue to add to it or upgrade. I suspect that you will look back on this experience with fond memories.

I honestly believe that selling off large sections of your collection can be a very freeing experience. I find myself tied to certain areas of my collection and almost feel obligated to continue to add to it or upgrade. I suspect that you will look back on this experience with fond memories.

We never really own them anyway.. It's all just rentals.

I learned Long ago that theres a reason you don't see armored trucks in funeral processions.

Hoot it takes a LOT of guts to do what you are doing and I respect guts..

All the best Hoot!!

Congratulations and good luck in following something you have always wanted to do. It takes a lot of courage to change directions and stick with it. Again Good Luck and I am sure the coins will all find fine new curators.

Go with grace and good luck, Hoot. I also, due to divorce, illness, plus bearing Hopefully, when you become an M.D., as well as a PhD. (if you have time), you be able to rekindle your interests in coin collecting. I have known you through this site since it's inception and although we have never met, I consider you a friend and wish you all the best.

Oldtrader3

Thank you kindly, Charlie. I regard you and all others here as friends and I appreciate each of you taking time to make your kind comments. As for the PhD, I've altready got that (biology), so thankfully, I am not at all tempted to take the MD/PhD route. Besides, my intent is to go into primary practice and some form of rural or community-based medicine. I'd love to spend as much time in the service of impoverished people and other underserved populations as I can. I have no expectations of ever making much money in medicine, nor do I wish to retire. I'm 48 now, and will not start med school until I'm 49. So, I'm going to keep working until I croak, if I have my way about it!

Hoot

Good luck Mark. It sounds like you're doing great in your goal in the medical proffession. Heck, once you make that big time Dr. Staus anyway, you'll be making the big bucks to replace all you had to sell. I know that won't replace the sentimental issues of it, but it looks like to have determination to be able to accomplish what ever you want to and I'm sure you will be and have what you want. I have enjoyed your posts and look forwar to being able to read anymore that will have time for. Again, good luck Hoot and congrats on those grades!!

Hoot,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your postings on this board and the PMs and phone conversations we have had. Good luck to you in Med School and I hope to one day meet you at GNP and call you Dr. Hoot.