• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I can't believe another 'S' VDB isn't coming.....poll

2009 Cents  

117 members have voted

1. 1. 2009 Cents

25 posts in this topic

Boy, I would have thought it would have been quite a coup to have minted a 2009 S VDB to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln. If they would have limited the mintage to match the original, the price could have been 'whatever'.... I've been disappointed about it for months now.

Of course collectors are going to glom onto the oddball designs they offer, but I really feel they missed the boat on this one.

Paul

That Is a very good idea. Have they shown what the new design will be?

Yes, they're not very creative. Perhaps someone has a link. An old thread maybe...

Paul

That Is a very good idea. Have they shown what the new design will be?

Yes, they're not very creative. Perhaps someone has a link. An old thread maybe...

Paul

Lincoln Cent designs

Boy, I would have thought it would have been quite a coup to have minted a 2009 S VDB to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln.

This is not about celebrating the 100th year of the Lincoln Cent.

It is about celebrating the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth.

What is this building? Does it relate to Lincoln's time as senator?

According to the all-knowing Wikipedia, the US Capitol Building was dramatically expanded in the 1850s, which would be around the time of Lincoln's stint in national politics.

The Capitol building it is. Thanks for doing the leg work!

I surfed over to Wikipedia myself, and it appears that I was mistaken, that Lincoln was never a senator. He lost the senate election to Stephen Douglas in 1858, this election being the one that propmpted the famed debates between the two men.

Shame on me. My high school history teacher wouldn't be happy. :(

lol

Yes it is the Capital Building. The reason it is pictured is because at the beginning of the Civil War they were just reaching the point where it was time to begin building the dome. Many people thought that the completion of the dome should be delayed so that the government could concentrate on the war effort. It was Lincoln who insisted that the construction of the dome continue to visually demonstrate that the government was still functioning, and that it would continue to.

According to Public Law 109-145, Section 304;

The Secretary of the Treasury shall issue 1-cent coins in 2009 with the exact metallic content as the 1-cent coin contained in 1909 in such number as the Secretary determines to be appropriate for numismatic purposes.

This has already been interpreted as producing a 2009 VDB and 2009-S VDB using the original Victor D. Brenner design (obverse AND reverse) as collectible non-circulating coins. It has been reported that the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) has endorsed this recommendation. Although it does not have to be approved by the Committee for Fine Arts (CFA), it will be submitted as a formality. Expect business strikes and proofs in a variety of sets. There is also a rumor of First Day Covers for these coins.

So sit back... relax... the Mint is not totally tone deaf!! :baiting:

Scott :hi:

Originally Posted By: P.L. 109-145, Section 304

The Secretary of the Treasury shall issue 1-cent coins in 2009 with the exact metallic content as the 1-cent coin contained in 1909 in such number as the Secretary determines to be appropriate for numismatic purposes.

This says nothing about using the original design, just the original 95% copper 5% tin/zinc alloy.

This section does specify the use of the original design, but only for the obverse.

SEC. 305. SENSE OF THE CONGRESS.

It is the sense of the Congress that the original Victor David

Brenner design for the 1-cent coin was a dramatic departure from

previous American coinage that should be reproduced, using the

original form and relief of the likeness of Abraham Lincoln, on

the 1-cent coins issued in 2009.

There is nothing in the law that directs the use of the original design for the reverse and specifies only the four designs for the birth,childhood, adult, and president portions of his life.

SEC. 302. REDESIGN OF LINCOLN CENT FOR 2009.

(a) IN GENERAL.—During the year 2009, the Secretary of the

Treasury shall issue 1-cent coins in accordance with the following

design specifications:

(1) OBVERSE.—The obverse of the 1-cent coin shall continue

to bear the Victor David Brenner likeness of President Abraham

Lincoln.

(2) REVERSE.—The reverse of the coins shall bear 4 different

designs each representing a different aspect of the life of

Abraham Lincoln, such as—

(A) his birth and early childhood in Kentucky;

(B) his formative years in Indiana;

© his professional life in Illinois; and

(D) his presidency, in Washington, D.C.

The only other discussion of the design for the reverse is for the design after 2009.

SEC. 303. REDESIGN OF REVERSE OF 1-CENT COINS AFTER 2009.

The design on the reverse of the 1-cent coins issued after

December 31, 2009, shall bear an image emblematic of President

Lincoln’s preservation of the United States of America as a single

and united country.

I don't see anything in the law that would permit the striking of a 2009 SVDB with the original design.

Condor... you are right about how the law reads. But I did say that it was interpreted by the CCAC as being a 2009 tribute using the original Victor D. Brenner design and the one the Mint is planning on going forward with. This is the information I received from a source who is familiar with the discussions.

Scott :hi:

Well, according to Coin Worlds article today, just the four designs are coming out for 2009. The mint is making a big deal out of the fact that these cents are going to be copper. Who cares what they're made of, without an 'S' VDB, I'm not happy.

Typical bologna......

Paul

Did the U.S. Mint import some foreigner to design these? Tell me it's not true that only one design had Lincoln with a beard!! What a joke. Poorest designs for an American coin that I can remember. Our current designer's absolutely ***spooon***!!!! JMO

I don't really get the whole thing...what's so significant about the 101st year of Lincoln Cents being minted in 2009 anyhow? (shrug)

The Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2005 requires that the cent's reverse be redesigned in 2009. This will result in the mintage of four different coins showing scenes from Abraham Lincoln's life in honor of the bicentennial of his birth.

These four scenes include:

birth and early childhood in Kentucky

formative years in Indiana

professional life in Illinois, and

presidency, in Washington, D.C.

Special 2009 cents struck for sale in sets to collectors will have the metallic copper content of cents minted in 1909. Those struck for circulation will retain the normal composition of a zinc core coated with copper.