• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS BROWN designation for Proof Lincoln / Cameo 1951

29 posts in this topic

This is more of an observation, a question and a current situation I am in.

I found in a B&M a coin I had been looking for and was described to me as a 1951 Lincoln Proof BROWN CAMEO ? After searching through PCGS site I noticed they did not designate BROWN or RB pre 1961 ??? (informational only )

Needless to say I have to commend the seller as he actually was describing the coin to me accurately over the phone as it is brown with tone ( Like most TPG call BR or RB now-a-days ) yet the cameo is a no brainer. He got the coin in a 'hoard' he purchased and he is unsure of what to sell it to me for. I have a figure in my head that I would pay but dont at this time want to tell him :) in the hopes for a GOOD deal on it and let him set the price within reason of course.

Here is a quick picture of the coin - What would you pay for it if you wanted it in your high end proof set ... I will tell you what I was thinking of offering ... see if we are close :)

It is a PCGS PR66CAM 1951 Lincoln Cent

Here is the set I started working on - Nickel ( Only 3 finer ) Dime ( Only 6 Finer )

sig.jpg

49498-1.jpg.ebcf6ed776d089d31ff0b21efc188fe2.jpg

If I understand the situation correctly the coin is graded PR66BN (but not Cameo ) by PCGS. To my knowledge they only assign the Cameo or Deep Cameo designation to copper coins which are RD, regardless of the date of the coin. I'd guess a fair price to be about $50, the equivalent to the CDN price for a 65RD example. Hopefully you can get it for less, though.

I would guess the appropriate value a to be a few percentage points over grey-sheet PR-60
James, why would you base the price of a 66BN on that of a 60 (RB?)?

If I understand the situation correctly the coin is graded PR66BN (but not Cameo ) by PCGS. To my knowledge they only assign the Cameo or Deep Cameo designation to copper coins which are RD, regardless of the date of the coin. I'd guess a fair price to be about $50, the equivalent to the CDN price for a 65RD example. Hopefully you can get it for less, though.

I would guess the appropriate value a to be a few percentage points over grey-sheet PR-60

It is a PCGS PR66CAM 1951 PROOF Lincoln Cent - Described by the VENDOR to me as Brown.

It is a PCGS PR66CAM 1951 PROOF Lincoln Cent - Described by the VENDOR to me as Brown.

The fact that it's designated "CAM" means that it should be "RD" and that it must have changed color in the holder. The PCGS Price Guide shows a price of $1500 for a 1951 PR66(RD) Cameo, but I wouldn't want to pay a high "RD" price for a coin that's not "RD". It sounds like the best thing to do would be for the owner to send it to PCGS under their grade guarantee and have the coin properly graded and designated, then work something out with him.

The fact that it's designated "CAM" means that it should be "RD" and that it must have changed color in the holder. The PCGS Price Guide shows a price of $1500 for a 1951 PR66(RD) Cameo, but I wouldn't want to pay a high "RD" price for a coin that's not "RD". It sounds like the best thing to do would be for the owner to send it to PCGS under their grade guarantee and have the coin properly graded and designated, then work something out with him.

I'm just 'shootin' from the hip' here but if what all theses quotes say is true, why can't you buy the coin at BR money and submit to PCGS as a coin that turned in the holder?

If that seems morally gray then it might be a candidate for NGC via NCS. Not sure if its all worth it, but just to give you some ideas.

If that seems morally gray then it might be a candidate for NGC via NCS. Not sure if its all worth it, but just to give you some ideas.

It would be my intention to do just that - As Mark and I have been discussing via PM - It will all come to what the vendor thinks it is worth seeing as HE also knows there is something off on the grade and coin ... and that the coin probably DID turn in the holder.

I will keep you informed.

To my knowledge they only assign the Cameo or Deep Cameo designation to copper coins which are RD, regardless of the date of the coin.

This is correct. Per what PCGS has publicly stated, they will not designate a copper coin as CAM/DCAM unless it is red.

To my knowledge they only assign the Cameo or Deep Cameo designation to copper coins which are RD, regardless of the date of the coin.

This is incorrect. Per what PCGS has publicly stated, they will designate a copper coin as CAM/DCAM even if it isn't red.

This is correct. Per what PCGS has publicly stated, they will not designate a copper coin as CAM/DCAM unless it is red.

This is incorrect. Per what PCGS has publicly stated, they will designate a copper coin as CAM/DCAM even if it isn't red.

Now I am confused. Greg I read your statements as contradicting each other or else I have been drinking too early this morning lol

Wha?

Wha?

He means they have flipped flopped on what they have said over the years. changed opinions.

I assume this means that this is just another issue that PCGS has flip-flopped on and contradicted itself. (shrug)

I assume this means that this is just another issue that PCGS has flip-flopped on and contradicted itself. (shrug)

(thumbs u PCGS has stated the exact opposite policies regarding CAM/DCAM and BN/RB coppers. I have no idea which one is correct, but suspect that they will not designate a BN/RB copper as CAM/DCAM. I cannot recall seeing one.

This is more of an observation, a question and a current situation I am in.

I found in a B&M a coin I had been looking for and was described to me as a 1951 Lincoln Proof BROWN CAMEO ? After searching through PCGS site I noticed they did not designate BROWN or RB pre 1961 ??? (informational only )

Needless to say I have to commend the seller as he actually was describing the coin to me accurately over the phone as it is brown with tone ( Like most TPG call BR or RB now-a-days ) yet the cameo is a no brainer. He got the coin in a 'hoard' he purchased and he is unsure of what to sell it to me for. I have a figure in my head that I would pay but dont at this time want to tell him :) in the hopes for a GOOD deal on it and let him set the price within reason of course.

Here is a quick picture of the coin - What would you pay for it if you wanted it in your high end proof set ... I will tell you what I was thinking of offering ... see if we are close :)

It is a PCGS PR66CAM 1951 Lincoln Cent

Here is the set I started working on - Nickel ( Only 3 finer ) Dime ( Only 6 Finer )

sig.jpg

I think I want this coin. How much?

After searching through PCGS site I noticed they did not designate BROWN or RB pre 1961 ??? (informational only )

Actually, according to the PCGS Pop report, 1942 and 1951 are the only 2 years (pre- 1951) that there are no BNs certified or designated.

After searching through PCGS site I noticed they did not designate BROWN or RB pre 1961 ??? (informational only )

Actually, according to the PCGS Pop report, 1942 and 1951 are the only 2 years (pre- 1951) that there are no BNs certified or designated.

Really ?? The price guide only shows ( Red and CAM up to 1961 ) unless again I am seeing things ..:)

According to those figures - the coin when graded was 1/31 with 6 finer - wow.

Too bad it didnt stay red - BUT Will stil make a nice addition to my collection :)

We will see

According to those figures - the coin when graded was 1/31 with 6 finer - wow.

Too bad it didnt stay red - BUT Will stil make a nice addition to my collection :)

We will see

Seriously jgrinz, if you do not want this coin please sell it to me. :grin:

I am going to pass my information onto Chinook as I have decided to pass on this coin - I instead have purchased the below coin for well below market value ..

What do you think ....

49676-4156_12.jpg.15c17e04e3fb67aa148d90359dbffe1b.jpg