• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade it?

24 posts in this topic

It appears to have Mint State sharpness, but the color is artificial. It's hard to say why it was recolored. Usually this sort of thing is done to hide a cleaning, or more often nowadays given color to attract collectors who are in the rather overrated toned coin market.

I’ve seen obviously recolored Seated half dollars in slabs, but usually the work was a little more subtle than this. I think thing sadly the coin would get a body bag if it were to be submitted.

Sorry to be so negative. (shrug)

It appears to have Mint State sharpness, but the color is artificial. It's hard to say why it was recolored. Usually this sort of thing is done to hide a cleaning, or more often nowadays given color to attract collectors who are in the rather overrated toned coin market.

I’ve seen obviously recolored Seated half dollars in slabs, but usually the work was a little more subtle than this. I think thing sadly the coin would get a body bag if it were to be submitted.

Sorry to be so negative. (shrug)

I don't know how true to life the images are, but based upon wat I see, I pretty much agree with Bill.

I am no expert but I can tell you this. I purchased 17 coins from an antique shop and this is one of them. I was told they came from a long closed banks basement and had not been seen or touched for many years. When the coin is moved back and fourth it does want to reflect light as if it were cleaned it would shine like a diamond. I know from my currency hobby that cleaning is a NO NO....

This coin has not been looked at by anyone ever really. I would guess it never left the bank in Boston.I cannot honestly tell you. I can tell you this though, I have never bought a coin from a bourse floor or coin show.

I really do apreciate your input and if this coin has been cleaned and artificially colored then it was done long ago by a bored bank teller..lol!

I am no expert but I can tell you this. I purchased 17 coins from an antique shop and this is one of them. I was told they came from a long closed banks basement and had not been seen or touched for many years. When the coin is moved back and fourth it does want to reflect light as if it were cleaned it would shine like a diamond. I know from my currency hobby that cleaning is a NO NO....

This coin has not been looked at by anyone ever really. I would guess it never left the bank in Boston.I cannot honestly tell you. I can tell you this though, I have never bought a coin from a bourse floor or coin show.

I really do apreciate your input and if this coin has been cleaned and artificially colored then it was done long ago by a bored bank teller..lol!

Banks do not close and forget to move the money. :signfunny:

Just so you know, the fact that the coin might have been in the bank for many years has nothing to do with the fact that it might have been cleaned and/or artificially toned long ago, before it was left at the bank. That means that a "bored teller" need not have been the one to have cleaned it. Also, cleaning doesn't necessarily cause a coin to "shine like a diamond" - it is often far more subtle than that and even difficult to recognize but non- experts.

oh ok so I have been had......
That depends upon what you were told, what the truth is, what you paid and the value/condition of the coin, something that we can only guess on, since we are looking at images.

I wouldn't say you've been had brian. It is a nice outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed As old as these types are, no one could ever expertly claim where they've been or what conditions they have gone thru. Just being able to recognize some of it's history as to handling will help.

Hmmmm.......I am begining to feel uncomfortable. I will lurk.
It's ok to feel uncomfortable with what you read - most of us have felt the same way at one time or another. And you can use that discomfort as a springboard to interact, exchange opinions, ask questions, share information and learn.

Mark you are so confident it makes me think you have a big ego. Somehow you have taken this thread over and made me feel you are in control of my coin and when I respond you feel compelled to react......I have lost my enthusiasm for coins quickly. Someone make me an offer for them so I can get back to my currency.

Mark you are so confident it makes me think you have a big ego. Somehow you have taken this thread over and made me feel you are in control of my coin and when I respond you feel compelled to react......I have lost my enthusiasm for coins quickly. Someone make me an offer for them so I can get back to my currency.

Welome Brian, I have felt uncomfortable many times myself. In the context of what you stated about being had, that would solely depend on how much you paid for them and if you like them.

I’ll offer you a stack of crisp Silver Certificates all in new vinyl sleeves. I’ll have to see how many are available for trade.

You ask for opinions, one of the best in the business (and a former NGC grader to boot) gives you one, you don't like it, and so it's an ego thing?

I don't get it. It sounds like you're expecting everyone to fall over in awe of your coin and get into a bidding war over it. It's a nice coin for what it is, but still, it is what it is -- looks possibly cleaned and/or dipped and recolored to hide the cleaning or dead luster. No amount of chalking up expert opinions to "ego" can change that. On the positive side, it is a nice strike with minimal marks.

You should try to calm down a bit, Brian, and take this slowly. There is a lot of material to learn if one delves into numismatics and, thankfully, some members of this board are expert in certain areas and will share their knowledge and enthusiasm freely. Mark is one of the best and has seen far more coinage manipulation than most will ever see, so his opinions should be at the very least carefully examined even if you do not agree with them or if they make you feel somehow uncomfortable. Remember, on a board such as this all the nuance of conversation is lost and the written word stands starkly in front of you, which can make this all appear as though someone has no compassion and that may not be the case.

In my opinion the coin looks MS, but I cannot tell how true to life the colors are since I do not know the effects of lighting on this coin. It appears a bit splotchy and the color is a bit odd. In truth, I would not have purchased this as a raw coin unless the sales price was very low. The only reason for that is a coin like this is often in a slab such as PCGS or NGC and, if raw and in this high an apparent grade, there can be suspicions. The "story" that came along with this coin is just that, a story, and I would be no faith that it is true.

Brian, I'm sorry that you feel that way. I was only trying to help you and have no interest, whatsoever in taking your thread over and/or control of your coin.

I won't respond further since you apparently don't like it when I do so.

I would call this coin a 64. As for cleaning, I really can't tell from the picture.

I’m curious how you come to the conclusion of MS 64 but you can’t tell if it has been cleaned. hm