• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is more desireable long term PART II?

3 Coins  

96 members have voted

1. 1. 3 Coins

27 posts in this topic

Thanks to everyone who helped with my first post today (Proof Cameo 20 c & Buffalo).

Part two has 3 coins in question each in the same price range of each other.

1) 1837 No Stars Seated Half Dime - MS 66

2) 1891 Cameo Seated Half Dollar - Proof 65 Cameo

3) 1893 Isabella Quarter - MS 65

halfdime.jpg

seatedhalf.jpg

isabella.jpg

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge,

Kent

(I'm desperately trying not to make the same mistake as last week - buying a bunch of stuff that true collectors don't covet)

I love the seated half, but I tend to be biased toward MS stuff over proof stuff. Though I do prefer the look of the half over the half dime; the half dime is way too white for a 170 year old coin.

The NS half dime is my favorite design type by far. Heck, I even own an 1837 NS half dime struck from the same obverse die as that shown! :o However, mine is simply an VF35. (thumbs u

As hypothetical type I would definitely choose the 1837 half dime, but given the choices of the coins imaged I would likely have to choose the Isabella.

I had been hesitant to write why because I assumed I would become a broken record that would be tuned out. However, it is likely that I am already a broken record for many folks and for quite a few others I am no doubt simply tuned out.

The half dime and Seated half have almost certainly been dipped while the Isabella might be original.

I had been hesitant to write why because I assumed I would become a broken record that would be tuned out. However, it is likely that I am already a broken record for many folks and for quite a few others I am no doubt simply tuned out.

The half dime and Seated half have almost certainly been dipped while the Isabella might be original.

As for me, as well as, I am sure, many, many more on these and other boards, your opinions are well regarded and respected. Your opinions seem to be the product of a great deal of thought. Most of the time my thoughts are nothing more than knee jerk reactions. :grin:

I love Early Proofs, but that no stars Half Dime is killer. It's very difficult finding those in decent shape where as the Proof stuff, especially 80's and 90's is relatively common.

Kentmhall (Kent, perchance?),

While I would go with the half followed by the Isabella, what is more desirable long term is basically a coin that you like looking at over and over again. Going into coin collecting hoping to make money is a fools game. Yes, you may make some, but then again you may get hosed. Buy what YOU like to look at. Then no matter what happens to the price of the coin you will get "paid" every time you look at it. Welcome... :hi: ...and have FUN collecting coins.

half dime

as it is a great early type coin with a decent look and high grade

assuming in hand sight seen it is an all there ms 66 and with killer lustreand even if dipped white it depends on the way the coin looks in hand sight seen

cswant tell you but threre has to be certain look about the coin

but baSED ON THE PHOTOS I would go with the half dime

a great early type coin the no stars

rare also if it is no braoner ms66 coin in hand sight seen even if dipped

all depends on two things

if it is correctly graded with no hidden problems and has the right look

Originality won the day for me, and the Isabella is the most likely candidate. Also love the issue -- being the only classic commem quarter...Mike

p.s. on this and the other thread, I could care less about future value -- I want the best coins.

Just one note to remember.... We cannot enjoy the coins for you. Sure while the long term is good, buy what you like and LONGTERM you will be more happy with your purchases.

Same problem as in Part I What do you mean by desirable?

I tend to dislike commems so I would pass on the quarter. I think the half dollar is really attractive and I have never really cared for the no stars seated Liberty design, but I collect half dimes. So I would probably go for the half dime.

HOWEVER if you are looking for price appreciation, The half dollar does have the problem of being the most available of the three. The half dime is truly a scarce to rare coin but has a small collector base other than from type collectors. The quarter is had to find original and probably has a smaller collector base than the type coin collectors that would want the half dime, but the commem collectors strike me as more willing to part with the money, so I would go with quarter.

Well I guess I'm decidedly in the minority... I chose the Isabella quarter. I'm a sucker for color, and from an aesthetic standpoint that coin "grabs me" more than the other two. My second choice would be the cameo proof half. The half dime does nothing for me; looks incredibly bland.

I also agree with an earlier sentiment, that of the 3 the Isabella is the least likely to have been futzed with.

From a liquidity standpoint, I'm guessing the cameo proof would be the best choice?

The half or the half dime appear to have been dipped, but I never liked the Isabella, and this one in particular turns me off. In the end, I chose the proof half, because the half dime just looks funky. There is something strange going on next to her knee and arm, and the denticles are completely missing from 9 o'clock to noon, and the color just appears blah.

Knowing what YOU want to collect is the single most important thing. If collecting just for resale and profit then what everyone else thinks is important, but if just for your collection-YOU must decide-which coin would you have chosen if asked this before you posted? It seems you are taking a sum of money and finding out what coins that sum will buy, and then trying to decide which coin to select. I'm not saying that is wrong, I just think you will become distracted, for as you say your are trying to form a collection.

Just for the post's sake, I selected the 1891 Liberty Seated Half Proof Cameo 65-a singularly beautiful coin and very hard to find in that grade.1837 small date Half dimes are hard to find in that grade too but too small for me but coveted by a small group of collectors that will gut you over such a coin in an auction and the Isabella is quite common in that grade so again I would pass.

As before, I wish you great luck with your hobby.

While I really like the No Stars half dime, over the years that type has been on the back burner for many collectors. The Proof half dollar is a major type, and it is the least expensive of the Liberty Seated half dollar types. Therefore I would say that is the more desirable. And, of course, there is the sad truth in American numismatics that "bigger is better."

The Isabella quarter is farily common item. Although MS-65 is a nice grade, I've seen a lot of MS-64 graded Isabella quarters that are just desirable IMO, and the price is a lot lower.

All three are nice coins but I would have to think that generally, the 1837 half dime would be harder to find and than the other two. I think the quarter would be the easiest of the three.