• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dipping of Coins by TPGs

15 posts in this topic

I read a post elsewhere that indicated someone had a coin that was refused for crossover at a TPG claiming it had been recolored. The coin was then sent to another TPG for "review". The second TPG asked for permission to Dip the coin.

I am surprised at this, is this a common occurence with TPGs? I am sort of surprised by this. Or am i missing something here and this is just a reference to a conservation effort.

I have several coins that have been identified as being "recolored, artificial color, etc. It sure would be nice to have that corrected and be able to have the coin graded and slabbed if it is in fact a standard practice.

Rey

I've had coins "dipped" by 3 of the 4 major TPG. I suspect if I needed it, the 4th one would also dip the coin at my request.

PCGS dipped a coin for me one time after it toned in their holder. The problem was the piece had been dipped and had not been rinsed properly. That caused it to turn.

There are instances where you can't tell that a coin has been dipped. This is usually true if the toning was light, and the piece has only been dipped once.

As I mentioned I have several coins that have been determined to be "improperly or artificially colored" Is it possible that NCS or another conservation unit of a TPG could reverse these effects? Examples of some of the coins I have are a Large Cent, Indian Head Cent, 1909 VDB Lincoln, and then there are the occasional silver coins such as Morgan, Peace etc. I did not think nor realize that reversing this type of injustice to a coin is possible.

Thanks,

Rey

As I mentioned I have several coins that have been determined to be "improperly or artificially colored" Is it possible that NCS or another conservation unit of a TPG could reverse these effects? Examples of some of the coins I have are a Large Cent, Indian Head Cent, 1909 VDB Lincoln, and then there are the occasional silver coins such as Morgan, Peace etc. I did not think nor realize that reversing this type of injustice to a coin is possible.

Not likely.

Improperly cleaned usually means it has hairlines and there is nothing you can do about that.

Artificial color usually indicated with AT or copper has been dipped poorly.

Either way, the coins are not going to get fixed.

Dipping can take care of alot of AT'd coins as long as they are silver. Dipping really has no effect on copper that I've ever seen or heard of.

If done properly (i.e. right combination of dipping solution / coin problem) you can dip copper with fine results. If you dunk a typical copper coin in a jug of EZ-Est, you'll be sorry and end up with a pink coin. However, if you use the right chemicals and understand the problem of your copper coin, you can do fine!

I've had many coins go from BN to RB and RB to RD by properly dipping them. One coin went from BN to RD. :cloud9:

Some examples of my frustrations, learning that these coins obtained years ago were "colored/dipped" at some point.

IMG_0738-1.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

18531CMS60DetailsCleanedObv.jpg

18531CMS60DetailsCleanedRev.jpg

The large cent definitely looks stripped, if the color is accurate, because it has a pinkish hue. The Lincoln cent is not lit well enough.

Sorry about the first pick of the VDB here is a better one. This is why I picked up the other one last week.

Rey

1909VDBObv.jpg

1909VDBRev.jpg