• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1952 "Superbird" Washington 25c

32 posts in this topic

There is an article in the July 24 issue of Numismatic News about Gene Witkcowski's collection of these being sold because of his poor health. Michael Fey is handling the sale and I just spoke with him on the phone. All are NGC graded and have "Superbird" on the insert. Mr. Fey indicated that sales are quite brisk.

If anyone is interested, contact Michael Fey: P.O. Box C, Ironia, NJ 07945; cell phone (973)252-4000; e-mail: Feyms@aol.com

Chris

Rey, there is a mark on the breast of the eagle that is shaped like an "S", ala Superman. It is listed in the 4th Edition of the Cherrypickers' Guide on p. 183.

Chris

It looks like there is a 'congress' of them upcoming on teletrade, its hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the 'S' is just south and east of center on the Eagle's chest.

An interesting variety:

c23901286-a.jpg

-Broc

I guess I will need to pull this book out and look through it again as I missed this. I have never heard of this variety before today.

This is a variety with a very cool name that has, in my opinion, a very minor and difficult to see mark on the eagle. The cool name is what drives the price, in my opinion.

This is a variety with a very cool name that has, in my opinion, a very minor and difficult to see mark on the eagle. The cool name is what drives the price, in my opinion.

all hype for something you can barely see that sort of looks like an S.... there are many more yet undiscovered out there

go find one for yourself then promote it single handedly and get it reconized then get it slabbed just like the original cherry picker did......

most of the fun is in the hunt not so much the coin itself........

or most of the fun is in the hunt promoting it getting it slabbed and then selling it for many many MANY TIMES WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT...which is not good or bad but if you can find one yourself with some looking why pay for something that is heavily promoted and something that hardly can be seen/reconised as a sort of s sort of close to the breast of the eagle except by a trained experienced eye with a glass

to sum it up.....................

as tomb said it is the name/hype/promotion that drives the price.........................

story and hype and atricle promotion is most of the price

only promoted and hyped and big storyline when they got many to sell

other than that they never talk about it let alone in print :makepoint:

go find this minor error yourself it is possible it can be done!!

that is the best part of this hyped coin!!!!!

Most interesting. I have never heard of this coin either, until today. I have attached a copy of the Cherrypickers photo, but not great quality. Crazy that so many of us have never heard of this coin.

1952WashQtrProof.jpg

Tom and Michael,

Am I correct in assuming that this variety is actually not that popular with the overall coin collecting public? Simply curious since I was not really aware of this one.

Rey

Tom and Michael,

Am I correct in assuming that this variety is actually not that popular with the overall coin collecting public? Simply curious since I was not really aware of this one.

Rey

Well, I had never heard of it until I read a similar article in Coin World today. And, for the record, I agree with michael.

Rey, I've known about this variety for years, but if it didn't have the catchy name then I would bet that it wouldn't get any attention. It's all in the name.

I consider myself a variety nut and I have NEVER looked for this variety.

This and those BS nickels do nothing for me....now give me a nice overdate :)

Maybe so J, But I have to give credit to those that really inspect thier coins. They have to have patience when it comes to things like that.

Maybe so J, But I have to give credit to those that really inspect thier coins. They have to have patience when it comes to things like that.

I totally agree with you on that Bobby.

It is pure devotion at that level. The thrill of the find outweighs the monetary gain.

Thanks Tom, Michael, Bruce and J,

Another example of why I am on these boards, to learn from others that have been around. (no age references intended guys, just experience). Seriously, that's what I wanted to know.

Rey

According to the article, Mr. Witkcowski spent 12 years putting his accumulation of a couple dozen together. From my conversation with Mr. Fey, I gathered that they were pretty close friends. It's a sad thing when you see a friend in failing health and it is just as sad when that person has to give up something that took so many years to put together.

I would imagine that the money will be used to help pay medical expenses. In spite of some of the negative comments made here about this coin, I am not ashamed to say that I purchased one, PF65, for $459 and I wish Mr. Witkcowski all the best.

Chris

Kind of reminds me of the high-leaf and low-leaf quarters, but with a snappier name. I thought I wanted one, after all, who wouldn't want a "superbird", until I saw a few and how hard the S was to see in-hand. I still think it is kind of neat, just not for me...Mike

For everyone's information, I received my order from Michael Fey yesterday, and I was disappointed. Even though it is attributed by NGC as the "Superbird", I couldn't see anything that closely resembles the photo in the CPG, not even with my stereomicroscope. I'll be returning it on Monday.

Chris

It may be that it is misattributed, but it may also be that you are seeing just how minor this variety with a rather cool name really is in-hand.

It may be that it is misattributed, but it may also be that you are seeing just how minor this variety with a rather cool name really is in-hand.

Tom, I want you to know that I have great regard for all of your posts, even your attempts at making a joke. lol

I do have a lot of respect for you and the knowledge you possess even though you don't like hardshell crabs with Old Bay seasoning. :devil:

It was for these reasons that your first post did cause me some concern, and I was anxious to see what the coin really looked like in hand. Yes, my disappointment was for the very reason professed by you. Had the coin resembled the photo shown in the CPG, I would probably have kept it, not for it's rarity but merely as a way of helping another collector in his time of need. Even though I do not know Mr. Witkcowski, I know what Michael Fey must be feeling to see a close friend in poor health.

Perhaps you and I will be able to meet again at a nice steakhouse!

Chris

Sushi, perhaps? hm

What! You mean you're going to force me to sit at a separate table to avoid int- "eruption" ? What would you do if sushi came in a shell that you had to crack open?

Chris

Just plucked one of these from a '52 Proof Set the other day, we'll see how NGC grades it - looked like a 66 to me.

If you're having trouble seeing it, try tilting the coin toward and then away from you while looking - it kind of "jumps" out when the light hits it just right.

I'm with the majority, cool name - mediocre variety. I'll be selling this one to buy something more interesting to me.