• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green wheat. Your thoughts on a raw Wheatie.

12 posts in this topic

Here's a Wheatie I REALLY like the toning of. The coin was taken by me out of a '58 mint set. The carbon spots and strike obviously take it out of slabbing material, but I'd be intrigued as to whether you find the toning appealing, and what you think the grade is. The coin was imaged by Bob Campbell and I think he did an excellent job.

1958D1obv151.jpg

1958D1rev153.jpg

I like the toning also. I think it would have looked better with the dark blue toning that you see on alot of these older lincolns. I would have to say that the carbon spots is what hurts this as you have said. I would think they would take this down to an MS63. Nice Lincoln tho' Sky!

I would grade this MS65, but I do not know what the 7or so nicks on the cheek along with the carbon spots would do to the final grade. I've never seen this in writing by any grading agency as to the detriment to the grade of carbon spots.

I don't want to kick off another post war but I would buy immediately a book by NGC or PCGS in regards to MS through Proof grading tips(a new book that is far more thorough than vague hints or explanations). How about Mark Feld or another qualified grader either singularly or together producing such a pictorial(mmmmmany mmmmmmmany photos of each grade). I believe their would be enough examples from the forum to help with this. Just a dream I guess.

Nice cent regardless, Sky, the die polish lines just add to its eye appeal.

It seems all of my toned Lincolns are 'S' mints and most all are of a pinkish tint. Never really noticed that before.

I like it a lot. Pretty tone!

On the other hand, there are many Lincolns with this type of lovely paper toning around. Often, when I buy albums of Wheats - particularly old Whitman albums - there are at least some coins similarly toned.

Very nice, and a good image as well.