• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New/different images for a "guess the grade" thread for a Barber Half Dollar

55 posts in this topic

Sorry Mark,

I cannot see the photo, tried refresh and right click to show picture but still no luck. Never had this problem but once before and right click/show picture cleared it up. I would like to see the coin and attempt a grade but cannot.

Dear Lord! :o It's much easier to tell from a picture how good a coin isn't than how good a coin is. The coin just plummeted to a PR63 at most in the new photo.

Sorry Mark,

I cannot see the photo, tried refresh and right click to show picture but still no luck. Never had this problem but once before and right click/show picture cleared it up. I would like to see the coin and attempt a grade but cannot.

Hi Jim, hopefully you can see the image(s) now - I had to hit "Refresh" a couple of times to re-view them myself.

What's going on at the rim at 2:00 on the reverse? Looks like a strike-through.

Ziggy, it looks to be a very shallow, mint-made depression that has a bit toned differently than the rest of the coin.

Thanks, Bob, that makes it a little better. I feel this is definitely a proof coin, but with the striated photo I can't tell whether they are scratches in the plastic, die polishing lines or scratches from an old cleaning. First nice Barber I have ever really looked at, starting to tone nicely. Sorry, Mark, no prize here.

Edited to add:

Oops, I did not see the primary photos, Mark, only the one Bob posted for me. The first photos show none of the scratches that the other photos do. After seeing them in backward order I am thinking what's going on with these photos. I would be scared to death to try to grade it now. I guess lighting is everything with a photo.

Ok, Mark, what's going on? Would you think without knowing that these were the same coin? Besides the obvious detail match.

A tough one...

Proofs are tough to grade from a single photograph because hairlines are often the difference between the grades, and photographs rarely show this feature well (particularly if they are taken as to show the color).

That said, I'll guess grade it PF 65, and note the odd weak area on the reverse as holding it from a higher grade, but in reality it wouldn't surprise me to see this in anything from a 64 to a 67 slab...Mike

Now I've seen the rest of the photographs, and think that 64 might have been a bit optimistic. Now, I think the grade could be between 62 and 64, and will guess its grade at 63....Mike

p.s. my, what a difference a second set of photographs make. my my my my my. :)

Wow this is an informative thread as more is revealed. I will say that is a PR63 based upon the most recent pictures. Honestly, the second set of pictures make it appear to be a different coin from the first. Nothing beats in hand under a good coin light.

Two different pictures, two different stories. I was right there with everyone, calling it a PR66 with the first set of pictures. Now, with the heavily hairlined fields in the new pictures, I am going to have to say PR63. That is, unless you have another trick up your sleeve, Mark....

Sheesh, I was going to guess PF-63 doh! ! That's because I thought it was a trick question, where the seller was angling the light to had hairlines or problems.

I have no idea what to guess!

This is a good example of what can be hidden beneath what appears to be original looking surfaces. And possibly could be why this coin had such surfaces.

Something that always concerns me when looking at crust.

As always JMHO of course. :)

Edited to add: I’m not familiar with this series, or how much leeway may be

permissible. According to my interpretation of these images if it were a Franklin half it would BB.

I will try to be objective here and post as if I did not know the currently assigned grade of the coin......

Based upon the first set of images my guess would have been PR67, with my usual disclaimers to the effect of: 1) If the images aren't hiding anything.... and 2) No one, no matter how expert, can consistently grade accurately from images, particularly in the case of Proof coins. That is because the extent of the hairlining, which can frequently and significantly impact the grade, is rarely apparent in images.

The second set of images would have led me to a very different conclusion, however. I would wonder if what I see on Liberty's face, as well as in the right obverse field and in the left reverse field were hairlines, die polish lines or a combination thereof. If mostly hairlines, I would guess PR63, if mostly die polish, PR65 and if a fairly even combination, PR64.

The coin is more brilliant in person and the color that is present at the peripheries is more accurately portrayed in the first set of images. However, that first set of images also imparted a faint golden or pink tone to what are basically white/color-free areas of the surfaces and also masked some hairlines. The first set of images makes the look better than it is, whereas the second set makes it look less appealing than it does in hand.

The coin is in a PCGS PR63 holder and I believe it to be a PR64 and paid somewhat more than a typical PR63 sells for.

As some of you had speculated, I started this thread in order to provide yet another example of how misleading images can be, even if they are well intended.

Thanks for your participation.

What'd I win :foryou: ?

The first one to say PR63 wins a bag of Doritos. If you're nice, I'll share a chip with you. :baiting:

The coin is in a PCGS PR63 holder and I believe it to be a PR64 and paid somewhat more than a typical PR63 sells for.

:o

:o:o:o

What'd I win :foryou: ?

Well, James, you appear to be holding flowers. Please consider that to be your prize. :acclaim:

wow... the second images tell a much different story. I can definitely see this as Proof issue...my first guess was a business strike... I stopped here because I suck at grading these things...

...PR63/64 (my first guess was MS66) ...sure...I'd buy that...Leo

Since the answer is already posted, I will give you my first impressions...

The coin has very sharp details on the peripheries, but it's weak in the center on both sides. Thus, it is likely that this is a badly struck proof rather than a business strike. Still, I would like to see the rims in person to make an accurate determination.

As a proof or a PL business strike, I could not grade this any better than 64. The coin is too weakly struck to be a gem. I know that more latatitude exists today in strike from TPGs in awarding gem grades, but I don't agree. As a PF-63 coin (even at a premium), I think this coin is a good value.