• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New/different images for a "guess the grade" thread for a Barber Half Dollar

55 posts in this topic

Very Nice looking Barber Mark. Is this a proof? I would venture to say 66.

I'm thinking business strike...the reverse is weakly struck but I agree with 66...L

With that reverse I can't see how it would go 66. Also with that reverse there is NO WAY that should be a proof.

So I'll go for MS 64 PL.

EDITED TO ADD: Attractive coin! :applause:

With that reverse I can't see how it would go 66. Also with that reverse there is NO WAY that should be a proof.

So I'll go for MS 64 PL.

Below, please find images of a PCGS Proof (67) example. Would you like to change your mind?

366017188a.jpg366017188b.jpg

wow...I guess I low-balled at MS66???

I did as well with PR66. From either image, it is hard to discern the cameo features.

I did as well with PR66. From either image, it is hard to discern the cameo features.

No, neither of you guys are guilty of that :gossip:

More later.....

So I'll go for MS 64 PL.

Below, please find images of a PCGS Proof (67) example. Would you like to change your mind?

NO!

or rather

NO WAY!

A proof that looks like that is a disgrace to the Mint. (Granted, there are a lot of proofs that are a disgrace to the mint).

No, neither of you guys are guilty of that :gossip:

More later.....

hm

I think it's of proof manufacture, but I don't know the grade.
The best reply, thus far! :devil:

Proof struck with grease on reverse die. I am guessing PF-67. Nice coin. :popcorn:

My guess is that this thread is a lesson in how difficult it is to judge a coin by a photograph, doubly so when the coin is a proof. But I don't know if it's wise to teach the lesson by using a client's coin. :devil:

I believe it is a proof also, but not a cameo. Every star is struck sharply and the denticles on both sides are clearly defined and sharp. The grade could be anywhere from PR65 to PR68 just can't tell from the photo.

My guess is that this thread is a lesson in how difficult it is to judge a coin by a photograph, doubly so when the coin is a proof. But I don't know if it's wise to teach the lesson by using a client's coin. :devil:
My guess is that that was a very good guess, but for the "client's coin" part. :gossip:

My guess is that that was a very good guess, but for the "client's coin" part. :gossip:
These are all the same coin ?

halfdollar19021.jpg

366017188a1.jpg

366017188b1.jpg

halfdollar19021.jpg

366017188a1.jpg

366017188b1.jpg

By God I think your right, it has been dipped/conserved then resubmitted. That would make this coin a PR-68 Cameo. Did I win the coin? :popcorn:

halfdollar19021.jpg

366017188a1.jpg

366017188b1.jpg

By God I think your right, it has been dipped/conserved then resubmitted. That would make this coin a PR-68 Cameo. Did I win the coin? :popcorn:

The two imaged coins are different and I apologize for the confusion I caused. I showed the second coin as a hint that the first one was a Proof.

Here are new/different images of the first coin (with the original images below them) and please feel free to change your grade guesses:

1902.jpg

halfdollar1902.jpg

The first pictures are a little deceiving from the original. It is clearly easier to tell that this is a PFCAM now. Also, yes, up from 66 to 67. I believe the fields look much better with the better pics. What I thought were rub marks on the some of the eagles feathers and liberty's cap was merely picture quality issues. It can be very hard to determine quality of a coin unless accurate pictures are displayed.

It does look Cameo and it does look to be PR67. It also appears to have the presence of several hairlines. Hopefully these are from die polishing and not cleaning, otherwise the net grade certainly wouldn't be a 67. But if PCGS slabbed it, it has to be from die polishing. :grin: