• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reputable dealers

31 posts in this topic

I'm new to collecting and I really liked what http://www.anacondararecoins.com/ had to offer.

I was just curious if anyone has dealt with them and if they are good.

They're OK. Prices listed can be negotiated - sometimes significantly - and many times are "wishful thinking" prices.

Additionally, I bought several coins from www.davidhall.com (directly from Van Simmons) and I was very pleased with the coins.

They will only sell PCGS coins. That means that they don't deal in 75% of the slabbed coins out in the market. I personally avoid any dealer who only deals in one grading service - no matter which grading service it is.

I got a cleaned 1/2 cent from a 'reputable' dealer once. Didn't figure it out until I had learned what a cleaned 1/2 cent would look like. So be aware that 'reputable' doesn't necessarily carry a guarantee.

edited to add; and be aware that if you talk about any of the 'major' dealers on this coin board or accross the street, chances are that they're reading it.

I would suggest that their images are simply so good that they might actually be better than the coins in-hand. hm

I would suggest that their images are simply so good that they might actually be better than the coins in-hand. hm

Brandon is one of the very best coin photographers alive. From what I've seen of their stuff in person, the worst that can be said is that he maximizes the available photographic conditions to bring out the very best in the coin. I guess this brings up a question: If an accurate, unretouched photo of a coin seems to exceed what you can see in person under the available lighting, is that photograph unrealistic, or is the camera seeing what we can't?

Yes

Long answer.....Every coin, even in hand, has an angle that is the best view. If you are great at coin photos and you post the best angle on your site, is that bad?

My opinion is no. If I was a dealer and could take coin photos like that, I would.

:cool:

I have not bought from either company, but I have a good friend who has dealt from Anaconda Rare Coins, with satisfactory results.

Strangely, I have never actually met anyone who has bought anything from David Hall Rare Coins, but the fact that they deal strictly with only one grading services is a complete turn-off for me. It tells me they care most about the holder.

I bought 2 coins from Anaconda and I'm very pleased with both of 2 coins.

But as Greg mentioned, their asking price is usually very high.

So if you are investing in coins, you have to study the actual market price for the coin you are interested in before buying. Otherwise, you'll have trouble when it comes to selling.

I'm new to collecting and I really liked what http://www.anacondararecoins.com/ had to offer.

I was just curious if anyone has dealt with them and if they are good.

They're OK. Prices listed can be negotiated - sometimes significantly - and many times are "wishful thinking" prices.
Thanks for the good info. Should be very useful to many collectors.

I have dealt with them. Brandon is a good guy. Many coins are on consignment and may or may not be open to negotiation.

Strangely, I have never actually met anyone who has bought anything from David Hall Rare Coins, but the fact that they deal strictly with only one grading services is a complete turn-off for me. It tells me they care most about the holder.

Personally, I don't see how DHRC can deal with PCGS coins without a conflict of interest. I know other dealers have went to work for PCGS and they had to stop dealing in order to take the job to avoid a conflict of interest. Why DHRC seems to be exempt from this is beyond me, unless David Hall isn't much affiliated with the firm any more.

So if you are investing in coins, you have to study the actual market price for the coin you are interested in before buying. Otherwise, you'll have trouble when it comes to selling.

How does their markup above CDN bid compare with other dealers?

Based on the spreadsheet I have prepared with a dozen dealers and about 2 dozen coins from each randomly selected the average dealer markup (nationaly advertised ads in Coin Wrold, etc.) is CDN Ask plus 21%. Is theirs way above this?

Personally, I don't see how DHRC can deal with PCGS coins without a conflict of interest. I know other dealers have went to work for PCGS and they had to stop dealing in order to take the job to avoid a conflict of interest. Why DHRC seems to be exempt from this is beyond me, unless David Hall isn't much affiliated with the firm any more.

David Hall owns a big stake in PCGS, and as a significant stockholder, he can do whatever he wants. And like the others, I really don’t care for dealers who push only one brand of holder.

My perception of David Hall RC is that his prices are quite high and that you are going to pay all the money and then some on the material he sells. He also pushes high priced modern material, which does not interest me as a dealer or a collector. I’ve bought some very common modern Proof coins in grades like PR-69 Ultra Cam, but I’ve never paid more than $25 apiece for them. Price-wise, that is not David Hall territory.

As a dealer I’ve done all I could to keep both PCGS and NGC “in play.” I think that it is important to maintain as much competition as possible in the coin grading industry. I buy and sell a few ANACS slabs but not many. I had hopes that ICG would become a force in the market and challenge the “big two,” but sadly ICG hit a rough patch and never recovered. As for the other grading companies, once in a great while I’ll see a coin in their holders that I like, but I’ve found that selling those coins in those holders at fair prices is tough, at least for me.

I had hopes that ICG would become a force in the market and challenge the “big two,” but sadly ICG hit a rough patch and never recovered.
If ICG wanted to become conservative with 65+ grades, they'd probably need to change their holder at the same time they tightened their grading policies. However, from a business perspective, they probably get more revenues from being looser on ultra-moderns. There's a pecking order and they have bills to pay.

I had hopes that ICG would become a force in the market and challenge the “big two,” but sadly ICG hit a rough patch and never recovered.
If ICG wanted to become conservative with 65+ grades, they'd probably need to change their holder at the same time they tightened their grading policies. However, from a business perspective, they probably get more revenues from being looser on ultra-moderns. There's a pecking order and they have bills to pay.

If ICG got tighter on MS-65 grades, what few coins they would get to grade would be cracked and sent to "the big two." In this market trying fix things via a "second line grading service is impossilbe. :baiting:

How does their markup above CDN bid compare with other dealers?

Based on the spreadsheet I have prepared with a dozen dealers and about 2 dozen coins from each randomly selected the average dealer markup (nationaly advertised ads in Coin Wrold, etc.) is CDN Ask plus 21%. Is theirs way above this?

Maybe it works for the coins you are dealing in, but, based on a number of your posts, you appear overly fixated and dependent upon the CDN and its accuracy. On a practical basis, countless coins trade at nowhere near CDN prices and/or aren't even listed there.

My question was how do Anaconda's markups over CDN (published dealer wholesale) compare to other major firms / who advertise regularly in national coin publications. I was trying to give some of you guys a hint to do a little homework and research. I think you will come up with some interesting answers, especially as they relate to the 21% I have calculated (a spreadsheet I have been updating for months - very interesting) as an industry retail average for retail asking above CDN Ask (Dealer to dealer wholesale and what many would consider replacement cost in a rare coin business financial model).

Mark what other third party published dealer wholesale price guide are you referring to? Are you telling us there is much more operating profit on big ticket coins? Would any of your fellow players at http://www.coinconsortium.com/ care to comment.

I am not stuck in concrete as to rare coin pricing as that is part of the owners business cost and marketing strategy. Certainly there are scarce Liberty Seated issues in high grade that may trade at a greater markup over bid than say 1880-S Dollars in MS 65. But lets get back to the main question - using the CDN as a benchmark (for our stat sample) how does Anaconda's markups compare with the rest of the industry? Now go do your homework guys I am very interested in what you will come up with.

The CDN lists just generic stuff? Your kidding! I am sorry but I hardly consider the better date Saints, Indians, Libs, Classic Commems, better date Walkers, etc. listed in there as generic.

My analysis of a dealers pricing vs CDN deals with exact matches only. I take his asking price for say a 1911-D Saint in MS 64 and input it into the model along with CDN Bid / Ask for that date.

My procurement goal is not to pay way above CDN if at all. As far as relying on it, I just want to avoid paying way above it! Now if you guys pay lots of commission or juice above it thats your call. When faced with a really superb keeper coin I just had to have, I have too.

You clearly don't understand coins or the market.
He might ;) but it's difficult to tell with all of the edits to his posts. I have seen a few recent references of his to CDN representing "wholesale" prices, but I thought I had seen him previously post that it represented "retail". My apologies If I am remembering incorrectly.

My question was how do Anaconda's markups over CDN (published dealer wholesale) compare to other major firms / who advertise regularly in national coin publications.

The question that you should be asking is how does the quality of Anaconda's coins compare to other major firms ...

Then, you ask if the higher quality coins are worth the higher selling price ...

Then, you call Brandon and negotiate a price point that you both can live with ...

:)

Never bought from Anaconda but have seen them at coin shows. Very friendly people but at a coin show, who isn't. Thier coins are really great but so are their prices. Of course at a coin show where they have traveled to get there, spend money on hotels, food, table fees, etc. they have to charge more to pay for all that and still have some left over for thier kids.