• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Estate Sale Preview - Grading Concurrence Requested

13 posts in this topic

Well I am still in West Texas at my folks and am going to attend an estate auction in the morning. I previewed the coins available today and wanted to post some of them along with my estimated grade. I am hoping that others can provide their opinion to the potential grades of these. I do apologize for some of the images, the lighting and conditions in the auction house were less than good. They are all a darker silver color not the goldish toning you see.

I particularly like the 1861 PO SLH and the 1854 SLQ Rays and Arrows

Thanks Rey

1861 O Seated Liberty Half EF 45 to AU 50

1861OSeatedLibertyHalfObv.jpg

1861OSeatedLibertyHalfRev.jpg

1830 Capped Hust Half F-12

1830CappedBustHalfObv.jpg

1830CappedBustHalfRev.jpg

1875 Standing Liberty Quarter - VG 8

1875SLQObv.jpg

1875SLQRev.jpg

1853 Standing Liberty Quarter Rays and Arrows F-12 to VF 20

1853SLQRaysandArrowsObv.jpg

1853SLQRaysandArrowsRev.jpg

1878 CC SLQ VG 8

1878CCSLQuarterDollarObv.jpg

1878CCSLQuarterDollarRev.jpg

1877 Seated Liberty Dime VG 8

1877SLDimeObv.jpg

1877SLDimeRev.jpg

1867 Shield Nickel VB 8

1867ShieldNickelObv.jpg

1867ShieldRev.jpg

1866 3 Cent Piece F-12

18663CentObv.jpg

18663CentRev.jpg

1868 3 Cent VF 20

18683CentObv.jpg

18683CentRev.jpg

From what I can tell from the pictures I like the 1861-O half, don’t like the 1830 half, and am a little concerned about the scratches on the 1853 quarter. The rest I have no strong opinion about. If I was going to bid on the 1861-O I would try to get a better look at it. Best of luck (thumbs u

Not to copy everyone's reply, but I think from what I see the 1861 O SLH has possibilities of being at least an AU grade maybe high AU. The rest are not much to look at, nor would peak my interest. The 1853 SLQ W/Rays is moderately interesting but may have even more scratches and marks out of the plastic, so unless no one bid on it I would probably pass. I would, as both Winston and Irvin suggested, try to get a better look at the 1861 O up close and personal and if no problems exist go after it hot and heavy. I really like the looks of that coin.

Well I am still in West Texas at my folks and am going to attend an estate auction in the morning. I previewed the coins available today and wanted to post some of them along with my estimated grade. I am hoping that others can provide their opinion to the potential grades of these. I do apologize for some of the images, the lighting and conditions in the auction house were less than good. They are all a darker silver color not the goldish toning you see.

I particularly like the 1861 PO SLH and the 1854 SLQ Rays and Arrows

Thanks Rey

1861 O Seated Liberty Half EF 45 to AU 50 - Looks like hairlines?

1830 Capped Hust Half F-12 - Obv scratch, poss. BB

1875 Standing Liberty Quarter - VG 8 - hairlines?

1853 Standing Liberty Quarter Rays and Arrows F-12 to VF 20 - Hairlines?

1878 CC SLQ VG 8 - I like this one

1877 Seated Liberty Dime VG 8 - Can't tell

1867 Shield Nickel VB 8 - Can't tell

1866 3 Cent Piece F-12 -can't tell

1868 3 Cent VF 20 - hairlines?

About the best I can do Rey!

The 1861-O half is better than EF45-AU50 and is the only coin, based upon these images, that I would think worthy of a bid.

Hi Rey,

On my monitor the 1861 O appears to have been cleaned on the reverse. I’m basing my opinion on not so good images, however the shadow areas seem to flow around the devices on the reverse much like what I have seen on other lightly cleaned seated halves.

I could be wrong. Good luck (thumbs u

Thanks all on your feecback and input. I agree that the 1861 O seems to be one to perhaps go for. I will look at it again in the morning very closely prior to the auction.

Thanks,

Rey

Hmmmm... I like the 1861-O SLH ... I don't see the hairlining that others are refering to but I'd want to take a closer look. The 1853 SLQ w/A&R ... the scratches are a bit distracting but it could be a decent pickup if no one else is bidding. I like the 1878-CC SLQ as well...it's a lower grade but it appears to not have any problems and could be gotten for a G4 money... I'm not so keen on the others..L

Hey Ray maybe I stayed up to late last night since its 549 am now BUT to me it looks like a 7 is to the right of 1 in that 1861.But sometimes I see things others don't ????

John,

I don't know what it is that we are seeing but now that you mention it I am hallucinating the same thing, an odd 7 shaped 'something' to the right of the last 1. Perhaps it is a die gouge or just toning artifact with the appearence altered by the fuzzy pic.

-Broc

I looked at the coin in more detail at the auction and it was not a seven or anything, just the poor images I imagine. Well I did not get any of the older coins, was wanting the 1861 O but I stopped bidding when it got to high for me. The winner and another gent went onwards and one got it for $400.00 which was way too steep for me. It had some scratches on the reverse but otherwise was a nice coin.

Just picked up a raw morgan (new acquisition post) and some IHC which I will post pics of later. Very inexpensive day but entertaining. The most entertaining was 3 Morgans that were graded MS 66 by some company I had never heard of that didn't even come close to 63's in my book. Folks paid a few hundred wasted dollars on those. It was amazing. The raw morgan I picked up had less marks on it than any of the MS 66's. What a shame, I kept shaking my head vigorously hoping some of those poor souls would see and stop bidding but to no avail.

There were also 3 PF 70 Roosevelts that were slabbed by some XYZ company, PF 70 Cameo that went for ridiculous money. It seems that the folks were not too informed and "bought the holder" instead of the "coins" for the most part. I was careful with the raw ones, paid very, very fair prices and had no competition.

Rey