• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recognize 2005 USMC $1 commem as COTY?

10 posts in this topic

They haven't before and I don't think they will start now.

But, think of how many collectors who would probably resubmit or send them in for the first time just to get that designation on the insert.

Chris

Recognize 2005 USMC $1 commem as COTY? Would NGC ever label this coin as such?
I doubt it. You are talking about a type, not a specific coin. To recognize a type as COTY after the year it was issued is strange and probably won't happen. To recognize only types issued in specific year as COTY would require more types and probably opening it up to world coins which don't have anywhere near the collector interest or revenue potential for a TPG. I can see a world coin magazine doing it but not a TPG.

I doubt it. You are talking about a type, not a specific coin. To recognize a type as COTY after the year it was issued is strange and probably won't happen. To recognize only types issued in specific year as COTY would require more types and probably opening it up to world coins which don't have anywhere near the collector interest or revenue potential for a TPG. I can see a world coin magazine doing it but not a TPG

COTY pieces are almost always one year type pieces. COTY awards are handed out two years after the date on the coin because not all countries recognize the same "year" beginning and ending that we do. The COTY IS open to world coins, and there have been many non-US COTY coins. Actually the number of US COTY coins has been unusually high.

Would NGC put Coin of the Year 2005 on the label? I don't think they plan on it, but get together a thousand or two of them and send them as a group and ask for a special label and you might just get it. The TPG's make up a lot of special labels for large submitters. (It might take more than a couple thousand though, they are getting spoiled by people who send in bags of quarters etc.)