• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is the reverse a shade or two lighter?

5 posts in this topic

I’ve noticed this on a few coins that I have looked at when I was at a local dealer and I now see it on a couple of halves on Heritage’s site. Here are a couple examples:

1803 DBH

1805 DBH

Is this just storage or do you think the reverse was wiped? Something else perhaps?

Thanks for any insight!

It possibly could be the way they were stored. especailly if they had been dipped a long time ago and the obv facing out of storage may have regained some toning or originality back.

I think that the exposure of the photos is fooling you into thinking they are more two-toned than they really are, at least as far as the Heritage coins are concerned.

That said, I've seen coins that were stored face-up or face-down for a long time show this type of toning, and that would be my first thought without evidence of cleaning/dipping from an in-hand inspection...Mike

I agree it is exposure of the photo. Look at the 1805 holder in the first photo. See around the edges how dark it is compared to the reverse photo...

Also, look at the shade of white on the holder itself around the coin.....

MM (thumbs u

I know when I image my coins, I do about 10-15 of each side. These are usually taken with different settings and lighting. Then I try to pick the best obverse and best reverse. Unfortunately, as much as I try, they don't always match as much as I'd like them to. Probably the same case here.