• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marks on Washington Cent

11 posts in this topic

Any ideas what caused the nice lines around this Washington Cent? I thought some might be adjustment lines, but now I don't think so.

Washcentobv195.jpg

Washcentrev196.jpg

Truly a beautiful coin Bob, very, very original with true character. Those marks are quite interesting, but I will have to bow to others for an explanation.

Rey

Nice looking One Cent there Bob. The lines seem to be in align with the rim denticles. I'm wondering if the die didn't slip when it was being pressed.

The lines were obviously in the planchet when it was struck, but they would not be adjustment marks, they didn't adjust copper planchets. The lines are very heavy and regular as well. They only thing I could think of that could cause something like that would be if the rollers that rolled out the strip were seriously worn or damaged. The problem is that this coin normally comes with nice smooth surfaces, and the coiners in England in the 1820's had top end equipment. Something like this should not have happened unless it is a case of the coin being overstruck on another coin or token. (It looks like there is some evidence of an overstrike in the field behind the head.)

These marks are very common on the Unity States coppers. I really should crack open a book, but I would suspect that the rollers used for the planchet strips were not perfectly flat, especially since (a) they are always parallel but in a random direction and (b) they can appear on both sides of the coin at the same time, and will run in the same relative directions.

Thanks for all your great comments. Very interesting.

Conder, since you're talking about the English coiners of the 1820's, was this cent not minted in 1783, but the 1820's instead? I saw those marks behind the head, but I thought it might be a clash. But I couldn't see anything on the other side of the coin that could have left that design.

Aegis, I haven't seen very many of these cents to know if it was common or not. You seem to have seen a few, so I will thankfully take you word. (thumbs u

An excellent post with tremendous questions and opportunities for advancement in this hobby.

Five star in my book, thanks for sharing.