• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC's guarentee on authenticity and grading.

14 posts in this topic

I'm looking at NGC's guarentee on grading here: http://www.ngccoin.com/services/writtenguaranty.asp

In it I see no guarentee of authenticity, also, it says that in the 10th annvercity of its coins the guarentee is void? Did I get this right?

What exactly does the guarentee, well, (no pun intended), guarentee?

PCGS has a guarentee which is written very specifically and seems more "in stone".

The ten year time period limit applies to copper, bronze and copper nickel coins.

I, too, was unable to find the authenticity guarantee.

The ten year time period limit applies to copper, bronze and copper nickel coins.

I, too, was unable to find the authenticity guarantee.

I'm sure they have a guarentee of authenticity though. It used to be there, I don't see why they would take it down. Can anyone find it? (it used to be real short)

Mark, thanks for explaining the ten year time period thing.

The PCGS policy is anything but "in stone" and is full of company-exploitable loopholes. Don't kid yourself on that one. N*GC lists at least one place that their certified coins are genuine when they state-

There are important advantages for collectors and coin professionals in having their coins graded by NGC. First, NGC's numismatic experts will establish that a coin is authentic and free of problems that would exclude it from encapsulation.

The PCGS policy is anything but "in stone" and is full of company-exploitable loopholes. Don't kid yourself on that one. N*GC lists at least one place that their certified coins are genuine when they state-

There are important advantages for collectors and coin professionals in having their coins graded by NGC. First, NGC's numismatic experts will establish that a coin is authentic and free of problems that would exclude it from encapsulation.

Yes, I realize that they only encapsulate geniune coins but can you find a guarentee in which they would reimburse you for it?

I can't find that guarentee -- it used to be there but now it isn't. (On the NGC website)

I would think that when they say they only encapsulate geniune coins, that wouild be a guarantee that's it's not counterfeit. Why would they have to offer a reimbursement for something they say is geniune?

Someone pointed me in the right direction for the NGC authenticity guarantee, although I think it could/should be worded differently and better:

"All U.S and World coins - including but not limited to Pattern coins, Varieties, Tokens and Medals, Mint Errors, American Colonials, Confederation coinage and Private and Territorial Gold - are guaranteed for grade and authenticity only."

I would think that when they say they only encapsulate geniune coins, that wouild be a guarantee that's it's not counterfeit. Why would they have to offer a reimbursement for something they say is geniune?

I mean, if you were to find a fake coin in one of their slabs, have them look at it, and then if they determine it's counterfeit, they reimburse you for the money.

Anyway, mark's right, he found the guarantee. I guess they had it all along I just didn't know where to look. Where did you find it mark?

Stinky, I think that you may be picking fly scat out of pepper grains again. I think that most collectors are satisfied that NGC guarantees authenticity.

Does N*GC's guarantee work the same as PCGS's as far as buying back or paying the difference on coins that are downgraded?

I mean, if you were to find a fake coin in one of their slabs, have them look at it, and then if they determine it's counterfeit, they reimburse you for the money.

Anyway, mark's right, he found the guarantee. I guess they had it all along I just didn't know where to look. Where did you find it mark?

Kevin, I found it (with help) in the text from the link you provided in your initial post. It is the third paragraph under "WARNING: THIS GUARANTEE IS LIMITED".