• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1950 Cameo Franklin

13 posts in this topic

Cameo Franklins were my first coin collecting Love. After 20 years they still make my heart go pitter patter. The 1950 Franklin is the key to the series (although the '59 is right up there too). Here's one I've owned for almost 20 years.

This coin is plate coin #3 in Tomaska's book on 1950-70 proof coinage. It is graded NGC PR66CAMEO. The images are by Bob Campbell and I think he did an excellent job. The scratches you see are on the holder.

Franklin50_N66CamObv.jpg

Franklin50_N66CamRev.jpg

Here are several images done by Bruce Lee, and I think he did an excellent job too. There is some haze in his images that are artifacts of imaging and do not exist in reality. In reality there is some spotting going on between the B and E of LIBERTY and there is a glue spot just below and to the left of Sinnock's initials.

Franklin50N66Cameo.jpg

Franklin50_N66CamOb.jpg

Franklin50_N66CamRev-1.jpg

That is pretty cool :cool:. Do cameos like that last a long time? I mean doesn’t the silver oxidize and diminish the cameo effect over time? I really don’t know much about these…

Great coin. Like Bruce said, a lot of fun to work with. It's amazing how close the images resemble each other. Back at ya Bruce. :applause:

That is pretty cool :cool:. Do cameos like that last a long time? I mean doesn’t the silver oxidize and diminish the cameo effect over time? I really don’t know much about these…

Cameos are subject to all the ills that other coins are subject to. However, if you can get some nice toning over a cameo coin it can be pretty darn stunning.

OK, I'm learning a little about these coins now. Question about the 1950 pictured, is it the lighting or is the left wing just that much different than the right? By the way beautiful coins and photos!! (worship)

OK, I'm learning a little about these coins now. Question about the 1950 pictured, is it the lighting or is the left wing just that much different than the right? By the way beautiful coins and photos!! (worship)

Well now, that's a great observation. Since Sy has it in hand so he could probably give you a better answer, but I believe it is mainly due to lighting. Here is a different image. Even though (for some reason) the lighting is again short of being absent, you can see that the wing is pretty much like the other wing. I think Bruce and I must both be right wingers. :whatthe:

50Frankreflo613.jpg

Lem, first off, I grew up in the '60's and LEM makes me think of the Lunar Excursion Model (the spacecraft that landed on the moon). Anyhow, with that digression over, the left wing IS different than the right. I SUSPECT that what is going on is that they over polished that area (kind of like the 3 legged '37 Buffalo), but I have no proof of it. That sort of left wing is actually is a fairly common occurance with Franklin proofs from say '50-'54.

Lem, first off, I grew up in the '60's and LEM makes me think of the Lunar Excursion Model (the spacecraft that landed on the moon). Anyhow, with that digression over, the left wing IS different than the right. I SUSPECT that what is going on is that they over polished that area (kind of like the 3 legged '37 Buffalo), but I have no proof of it. That sort of left wing is actually is a fairly common occurance with Franklin proofs from say '50-'54.

Sorry Skyman, Lem is just my abbreviated last name, no significant meaning but thanks for putting that together for me, never thought of that. Anyway thanks for the info. I really have been showing some interest in the Franklins here lately and I guess since the oldest one I have at the moment is 1956 I just never noticed until I saw the pictures you posted. Again many thanks! :banana: