• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Would You Handle This Situation?

27 posts in this topic

This is a real situation happening right now. Last Sunday I had a bunch of auctions closing on eBay. This included many First Spouse coins that were all true auctions.

On Saturday, a bidder places a bid on one of them. The next day, VERY shortly before the auction ended I get an email from him stating that there was a typo in their bid and they bid $7,500 instead of $750. I cancel their bid which was currently sitting at $660, I believe. I had some fear that the coin would sell too cheap since other bidders may have been scared off, but still canceled the bid. He did not place another bid on this coin and it sold to someone else. However, when I canceled his bid it does reveal the bid amount being canceled. It was not $7,500 like he stated, but rather $706.

He placed 3 bids on another example of this coin close to the ending of the auction and ended up winning it for $741.17.

He placed 5 bids on another example of this coin with his last bid being placed 22 minutes before the close. This example sold for $860.

I have received another email from him stating that the auction that closed for $860 was also a typo and he wants me to cancel his bid. However, he does want to buy the one at $741.

He's been on eBay for about 2 years and has low, but all positive feedback as a buyer. Since eBay removed the feature to see how many retractions a person has, I can't see if this is normal for him.

My pissed off gut feeling - which may be incorrect - is that the buyer is playing games and just looking for the best deal and he placed a high bid and won and now is having buyers remorse.

How would you handle this situation? Keep in mind that I do have a return privilege.

Cancel the $860 sale and sell the $741 to him?

Tell him all or nothing? If he takes all, do I not honor my return privilege should he try?

Tell him to go to hell for playing games and refuse to sell to him at all?

In any of the above, would you leave negative feedback? I am NOT scared of a retaliatory neg and have no problem leaving negs. I'm also not scared of him reporting me to eBay for not honoring the sale. I paid them $3K+ this month in fees and I know who they'll side with. smile.gif

I would sell whichever one he wanted, wait for money in-hand of course. The other I would cancel and then block him as a buyer, and take it as a lesson learned.

1) He hasn’t yet paid for any of the coins? Is that correct?

2) Are the first wives still selling well?

I would only sell him the one at $741 if you think that’s a good deal. After that I would ban him from your future auctions. I don’t think he will pay for the one at $860 so I don’t know that I would bother sending it.

Very annoying situation frustrated.gif. I can understand your frustration.

He bid on them both. He won them both. He needs to pay for them both.

You were very kind to cancel his first bid, but if he doesn't pay for the other two, neg him.

1) He hasn’t yet paid for any of the coins? Is that correct?

Correct.

2) Are the first wives still selling well?

Yes. They're going for $700-$860 with most a little less than $750.

This time, I would void his $860 bid and sell him the $741 coin. However, I would not be so kind in the future. It does appear he was playing games, but I'm usually willing to give someone the benefiet of the doubt, at least once. You might want to let him know that future bids are going to stick.

Call Ebay and tell them about this joker. You have a great sells and feedback record. I think they will listen and do something.

Edited to add: Greg please post his username so I can block him. I certainly don't want a clown like this bidding on my auctions. Thanks!

Just when you think you seen it all.

In all honesty, I would take the more practical, what’s best for Greg route on this one and then block him from future bids.

I would try to avoid receiving a negative feedback if I could. thumbsup2.gif

There are plenty of people willing to by the First Spouse Coins at those prices. I would not sell him any of the coins and would block him from ever bidding on my auctions again. As for reporting him to eBay, you can but I dont think they will do anything more than reverse any fees incurred by you. If you sell to this person, you may have troubles after they get the coins! - this person has proven themselves kinda sneeky already!

I believe I would let him know I would be happy to honor all bids as won.

I would similarly be happy to release him from all bids if he chooses to back out of his obligation.

If he chooses not to honor his bids I would not accept any further bids from him.

He is clearly lying because he could always see that his bid was $706 and not $7,500. If they are still selling well, I might just re-list both of the ones that he won. Who knows, maybe he will win one for $730 and return the one he currently wants to buy at $741. Total BS!

It’s unfortunate that this occurs because it gives sellers some incentive not to accept returns.

He bid on them both. He won them both. He needs to pay for them both.

You were very kind to cancel his first bid, but if he doesn't pay for the other two, neg him.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

also being that you have 2 different times he has said he didnt meen to bid what he did he doesnt need to be on the bay! i would go through and make him /her pay if they fail to pay then get them. if he pays let ebay know what happened so you have them understanding that this person is a fraud/cheat so when he tries to send back for refund they will know why u didnt honor.

i always say "dont put money down on window shopping" if he didnt want to spend they shouldnt have taken out the wallet/purse.

you should just go through the steps of a sale cause thas what it is! if they foul it up its there bad

also i would send an email or something saying "due to your buying practice i will not be able to do a cash refund but will give in store credit" and keep a print out of both "oops emails".

Bottom line...if you do force the sale on the 860.00 win he will simply send it back under your return privilege. Save everyone the time and trouble and cancel the sale. Then block him from future bids.

If it's feasible, I'd cancel both of his auctions, ban him, and just relist. Many bad transactions start out this way with out-of-the-ordinary requests/situations. I obviously can't say that this situation would go bad in the long-term if he paid for the items, but the faster you can exclude someone who's messing around with your sales, the better.

I would contact him and let him know how his bidding and emails look (suspicious/questionable) from your point of view. Politely barrage him with the facts and ask for an explanation. If his response makes him seem credible, give him the benefit of the doubt. And if not, not.

Stop any and all further 'bargaining' with this guy.

Sell the $741. coin and allow him to recind the second, more expensive sale (of course, go through eBay to recoup your fees).

Block him afterward and wash your hands of the whole incident.

You may want to do more, but life's too short to let this guy get another minute of your time or energy.

Whatever you do, make sure you neg him. He clearly lied about the first one, and I am guessing he lied about the second one too. It is my opinion that you should make him pay for both coins, as a bid is a binding contract.

Whatever you do, make sure you neg him. He clearly lied about the first one, and I am guessing he lied about the second one too. It is my opinion that you should make him pay for both coins, as a bid is a binding contract.
Greg mentioned in his initial post that he has a return privilege, so, on a practical basis, the buyer has an out.

Greg mentioned in his initial post that he has a return privilege, so, on a practical basis, the buyer has an out.

Yes, but Greg could also rescind the $860 sale with the proviso that no return privilege will be allowed for the $741 sale. If he agrees to it, then get the payment, send him the coin and block him from all future auctions. If he doesn't agree to it, don't sell him anything and neg the $OB. Personally, I think he was just window shopping for the best deal. As someone else already indicated, he might be able to find one for less than the $741 and decide to send yours back for a refund.

Chris

I would jerk him around a bit.

Tell him you'll take $741 for the one and forget about the other. Let him pay but never ship the coin, refunding his cash in a few weeks when the coin goes "lost". Meanwhile really sell the coins in yournext batch of auctions.

Try to get him to leave feedback first (say as a condition for his refund) and then neg his *spoon*. If he won't go first neg him anyway.

That's what I would do. thumbsup2.gif

I hate people who bid and flake out. Hold him to his bids and neg him if he does not pay. Mention that you recomend sellers block this guy from bidding.

Be sure and block him from any future bidding.

I would offer to sell to him the cheaper coin, and cancel the more expensive sale.

I would then neg him, warning others of his game.

Regardless, I would ban him from bidding in future auctions.

Well, what did you decide? hm

I took the guys money for the $741 coin and mailed him a rock via Registered Mail.

Well, what did you decide? hm

I took the guys money for the $741 coin and mailed him a rock via Registered Mail.

That almost brings a tear of joy to my eye. :)