• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1875-CC Trade Dollar Chop Marked

24 posts in this topic

I recently obtained this 1875-CC Trade dollar from a member of the PCGS boards and the coin has terrific chop marks on it. It has been graded by PCGS as F15 due to remaining details associated with wear, but it's not like any F15 typically encountered. The obverse has at least 27 chop marks on it and the reverse has at least one chop mark on it. The coin had been tested so many times that it is bent and shaped somewhat like a dish. I think this is a very cool coin.

J1875CCP15.jpg

J1875CCP15R.jpg

TomB...some of those chops marks I recognize, others I have seen on this coin for the very first time. I like the block style chop near the date, your right, this is one cool Trade Dollar!

How'd it fit into the slab?

I think the reverse of the coin might actually be touching the inner plastic of the slab. If not, it is mighty close.

These coins were specifically made for trade with China and might be better termed a commercial dollar than a trade dollar. Many Asian merchants would place their mark, or chop, on a coin as a test of the silver to display that the coin was acceptable. Unfortunately for those who backed the Trade dollar, it did not gain widespread favor in Asia and chop marked coins are rather unusual. Coins with the number of marks that this coin has are fairly rare. Even more rare are those with this many marks that are still relatively problem-free, such as this piece.

cool coin... I was actually contemplating a more conservatively "chopped" Trade Dollar for my type set. Since they were meant for commerse in Asia it seems fitting.

Leo

What an amazing coin! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Very cool coin thumbsup2.gif how much do pieces liek these go for usually?

I am sort of a new-comer to collecting trade dollars. I have accumulated five of them (raw common dates; no CCs). One of them has a single chop mark. It's otherwise an AU-58. I paid $300.

Tom,

That is a very nice, amazing example of a chop marked Trade Dollar, great coin. I am just now learning and reading more about these and yours is such an interesting piece. A nice one to have, I am sure. Thanks for showing it to us.

Rey

Bobby...sometimes you have to coax the images into to view when they come up as "red x'ed" box on your monitor.

Hold your mouse arrow over the blank image, right click. That will open a tool box, look for "show picture" and click on that.

Many times that will allow the image to suddenly appear...waalaa. Try it.

Bobby...sometimes you have to coax the images into to view when they come up as "red x'ed" box on your monitor.

Hold your mouse arrow over the blank image, right click. That will open a tool box, look for "show picture" and click on that.

Many times that will allow the image to suddenly appear...waalaa. Try it.

I tried that aleady WJ, but it doesn't seem to want to come up. I ain't having any problems with the other posts. Just this one. I guess everyone else is still seeing the pics? Usually this only happens to me after the pic has been deleted from the posters link.

Bobby,

I tried right clicking and show picture-it worked for me. Thanks Woody. That is one great CMTD!!! I have never seen one with so many chop marks. Unbelieveable. Great pickup Tom.

Just an FYI, there is a good article on "America's Unwanted Trade Dollar" in the August edition of Coins. Good summary of the history of them.

Rey

That trade dollar took a whipping and has the chops to prove it. Very cool. thumbsup2.gif

What would really be neat if each chop mark could be identified. Now that would add some provenance. cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

Hi, TomB hi.gif

Man alive! I really enjoyed your chopped up US Trade dollar! thumbsup2.gif

That one has been through many different Chinese merchants' hands! headbang.gif

AAJ

That trade dollar took a whipping and has the chops to prove it. Very cool. thumbsup2.gif

What would really be neat if each chop mark could be identified. Now that would add some provenance. cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

That is a really good point. Is there a study anywhere as to the source of various chopmarks? I think that would be really cool.