• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'21 Peace Arrived - Hmmm.... Help Needed. (big pic warning)

17 posts in this topic

My recent TT purchase arrived today and the coin is pretty much as I expected except for one thing and that is where some of you maybe can help me. These ARE NOT my series and I don't have the literature available or experience to answer something.

Here's the "rub".... (humor)

In the Obv field in front of the forehead from just under the ray down to around the nose area there appears either marks from a previous cleaning or is it possible that this is die polish lines.

So thats my question...... cleaned or die polish? The coin resides in an NGC MS62 slab right now.

Here's the pics I just took and Thanks for any help on the matter.

Richard Shipp

June2007BeachTrip067.jpg

June2007BeachTrip071.jpg

To me looks more like contact scrapes. I would suspect that Die lines would be more consistent in direction and there would be more lines if it were cleaning hairlines. Just a guess!

While some of that is almost certainly die polish, I seriously doubt that all of it is, especially the long line opposite the nose which extends above and below it. I'm curious, though, Richard, even if none of the area you asked about is die polish, why does that bother you more than the marks on the face? Thanks.

Edited to add:

So thats my question...... cleaned or die polish?
I don't see any cleaning, though that doesn't mean it's not there. But your question left out another, equally or more likely possibility - marks from contact.

While some of that might very well be die polish, I certainly don't think all of it is, especially the long line opposite the nose which extends above and below it. I'm curious, though, Richard, even if none of the area you asked about is die polish, why does that bother you more than the marks on the face? Thanks.

While the pics show contact on the face, in hand the marks just don't seem all that prominent. In fact at a glance the face actually looks pretty good.

I've sat and looked at it awhile now and there are a lot of things I like about it, but also some I don't. My eyes really seem drawn to the area mentioned and I don't think that is something that will change as long as I own it.

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm going to send it back for a refund from Teletrade. If the their photo had showed the obv better I wouldnt have bid on it I don't think. That being said though, the reverse is a real looker.

Thanks all.

FYI - Here is the TT close up pic

c23882565-a.jpg

While some of that might very well be die polish, I certainly don't think all of it is, especially the long line opposite the nose which extends above and below it. I'm curious, though, Richard, even if none of the area you asked about is die polish, why does that bother you more than the marks on the face? Thanks.

While the pics show contact on the face, in hand the marks just don't seem all that prominent. In fact at a glance the face actually looks pretty good.

I've sat and looked at it awhile now and there are a lot of things I like about it, but also some I don't. My eyes really seem drawn to the area mentioned and I don't think that is something that will change as long as I own it.

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm going to send it back for a refund from Teletrade. If the their photo had showed the obv better I wouldnt have bid on it I don't think. That being said though, the reverse is a real looker.

Thanks all.

FYI - Here is the TT close up pic

c23882565-a.jpg

Sorry, I was apparently editing my previous post at about the time you were posting. The Teletrade images sure look different than yours do. I like the color that shows in yours, whereas their images make the coin look boring. (At least) one set of images must be way off. wink.gif

Looking at the lines with my 5x loupe I couldn't tell if they were raised or not. I dug around and finally found my 16x loupe and the lines are definately raised so I know now its die polish. What appears like fine longer marks are actually on the slab. With the 16x loupe now I can see that there are actually die polish marks almost all the way around the device. Its kind of an interesting coin.

I see what ya mean Richard. The TT pics are a little decieving. I still don't think it's a bad looking peace dollar, but that depends on the money that was spent and also of course, your liking!!

To all that are buying or going to buy coins on Teletrade, I would recommend that you use DjVu close-up to views the coins offered. It is better than just the close-up view.

The coin looks great in the teletrade photos, but in your photos those marks are distracting, but I agree with Mark, they are not nearly as distracting as the marks on her face and the very weak strike in the hair. Ultimately it's your money, do whatever will let you sleep at night!

Many if not most coins look much, much better if their image is reduced in size. Smaller images reduce the impression of the hits and strike flaws of a coin. On the other hand, humongous images can magnify flaws until you're thinking that the coin is a POS, when it really isn't, making small flaws seem as deep as the grand canyon. Just some thoughts.

And for what it's worth, my impression was that the coin has weakness in the strike and that the lines are mainly due to circulation wear.

Just thought I'd give an update.

After debating the matter over the weekend I decided to send the coin back to Teletrade for a refund. Sent off today via Priority Mail Insured. Hopefully I did it right??? I couldn't really find the instructions for doing the returns on their site.

While the coin was likely OK for an MS62; I just wasn't really satisfied with the OBV; which looked nothing like the picture in the auction. Part of my reasoning was that I paid what would be at the high end of what a 62 should be and didn't think the coin merited the money.

Are we allowed to say stuff like this??? Can we openly admit mistakes???

Hopefully, I'll have learned something as my collecting continues.

Thanks for all for your feedback.

To Richard and others buying from Teletrade. This is their limited return policy

Must be returned within 7 days

Coins are to be returned by Registered Mail

A return fee is charged. In Richard's case: $10.00 plus 5% on the amount over $200.00 of the purchase price.

I know, I returned a coin about a year ago and was not happy that they charged this fee.

Final Update:

Teletrade today credited my Paypal account the appropriate refund under their policies for the returned '21 Peace. Thank You TT.

I'm not sure why, but I feel a little guilty for sending a coin back. This is the second one I've ever returned. The first one I sent back to LeeG a long time ago and I count that one as one of my biggest numismatic mistakes to date.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Richard