• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A rant regarding posts on the U.S. Coin forum that should be posted here

62 posts in this topic

I'd love to post this on the U.S. Coins forum, where it would probably receive more attention (and maybe negative responses, too), but that would be hypocritical, and I won't. And, I don't doubt that many will feel like I'm being overly picky in bringing up this subject.

However, NGC does provide us with, among other forums, a U.S. Coins forum AND a Numismatic Tangents forum and I wish posters would be more aware and respectful of that distinction. I frequently see posts on the U.S. Coins forum which clearly would be more appropriate/on topic on this one. I'm guessing it's a combination of lack of awareness, laziness, apathy and disregard for good forum etiquette.

Rant completed - please feel free to flame away.

I had to discover this for myself by reading some posts of "Numismatic Tangents" to get what's included here. So maybe some education of answering the post in US Coins referring them to this forum. You'll post it once but you'll probably prevent many other posts.

People (my self included) respect your opinion, and will generally follow where you lead them, Mark.

I'd love to post this on the U.S. Coins forum, where it would probably receive more attention (and maybe negative responses, too), but that would be hypocritical, and I won't. And, I don't doubt that many will feel like I'm being overly picky in bringing up this subject.

However, NGC does provide us with, among other forums, a U.S. Coins forum AND a Numismatic Tangents forum and I wish posters would be more aware and respectful of that distinction. I frequently see posts on the U.S. Coins forum which clearly would be more appropriate/on topic on this one. I'm guessing it's a combination of lack of awareness, laziness, apathy and disregard for good forum etiquette.

Rant completed - please feel free to flame away.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

One thing that I HATED about the forums ATS is that the coin forum got bogged down with posts that weren't related to coins (i.e. shipping questions, eBay/PayPal questions, Mint product schedules, turnaround time questions, submission results, etc). You could read the front page and find maybe only 5% of the topics directly related to coins. That's why I begged Arch for this forum until I finally wore him down. Now if I could only get him to create a submission form using fillable PDF format. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Mark and Greg openly agree on the same point twice in one day. That's not quite as ominous as the arrival of the four horsemen, but it's darned close, and I'm beginning to feel uncomfortable.

It's not always easy to determine which forum is more appropriate for a new thread. From my point of view, I'd prefer that topics dealing with "the market," e.g., eBay, shipping costs, and even rants against (or praise of) TPGs, be kept in the Tangents Forum. I'll try to pay more attention to where I'm posting; but, when all's said and done -- and I'm sorry to say this, Mark -- it just doesn't irk me nearly as much as it seems to bother you.

I've made the mistake a few times, I'm sure. It's easy to forget which forum you are in. On the other hand, it doesn't bother me in the slightest when others do it, because I give equal attention to both forums.

Mark and Greg openly agree on the same point twice in one day. That's not quite as ominous as the arrival of the four horsemen, but it's darned close, and I'm beginning to feel uncomfortable......
As am I! : confused.gif

...but when all's said and done -- and I'm sorry to say this, Mark -- it just doesn't irk me nearly as much as it seems to bother you.
I'm sure you're not alone in that regard. wink.gif

I had to discover this for myself by reading some posts of "Numismatic Tangents" to get what's included here. So maybe some education of answering the post in US Coins referring them to this forum. You'll post it once but you'll probably prevent many other posts.

People (my self included) respect your opinion, and will generally follow where you lead them, Mark.

Thank you for the suggestion and the comment.

NGC does provide us with, among other forums, a U.S. Coins forum AND a Numismatic Tangents forum and I wish posters would be more aware and respectful of that distinction. I frequently see posts on the U.S. Coins forum which clearly would be more appropriate/on topic on this one.

I agree…

Mark and Greg openly agree on the same point twice in one day. That's not quite as ominous as the arrival of the four horsemen, but it's darned close, and I'm beginning to feel uncomfortable......

I've said many times in the past that I believe that Mark & I agree on a vast majority of topics. However, those few we disagree on, we are diametrical opposites.

I've said many times in the past that I believe that Mark & I agree on a vast majority of topics. However, those few we disagree on, we are diametrical opposites.

I am forced to admit that I believe Greg is probably correct about that. 893censored-thumb.gifwink.gif

I completely agree.

I completely agree.

There is a surprise.

I do too, I'm just pickin' on ya. poke2.gif

I've made the mistake a few times, I'm sure. It's easy to forget which forum you are in. On the other hand, it doesn't bother me in the slightest when others do it, because I give equal attention to both forums.

Here Here

Sometimes There There So it dont matter to me either grin.gif

I completely agree.

i agree also............................ thumbsup2.gif

For the first time...in prime time, there is 60 viewers in tangents and only 39 in US Coin Forum. The worm is turning.

I'm tellin ya, this is the place for all the " good potpourri of garbage" to be dispensed.

The fun side, the get it off my chest side and the get to know ya side of coin collecting, but still yet serious enough to provide good information.

I'd love to post this on the U.S. Coins forum, where it would probably receive more attention (and maybe negative responses, too), but that would be hypocritical..........

Don't worry, Mark, nobody thinks you're a hypocrite.

Since this seems to be the place to rant, I'll add my two cents. It really bugs me when someone starts a thread......... I sent "X" number of coins for grading today! A few days later, the same poster starts another thread........... The coins are in receiving! Then, the same poster starts yet another thread........... They're in Quality Control! The poster continues with another thread.......... Grades posted! , and finally tops it off with the final thread........... I just got them today!

Why can't they just wait until the coins are returned to them and spare us all the wasted space. If anyone wants to take a few potshots at me for this, go right ahead. You can even use live ammunition and put me out of my misery.

Chris

I'd love to post this on the U.S. Coins forum, where it would probably receive more attention (and maybe negative responses, too), but that would be hypocritical..........

Since this seems to be the place to rant, I'll add my two cents. It really bugs me when someone starts a thread......... I sent "X" number of coins for grading today! A few days later, the same poster starts another thread........... The coins are in receiving! Then, the same poster starts yet another thread........... They're in Quality Control! The poster continues with another thread.......... Grades posted! , and finally tops it off with the final thread........... I just got them today!

Why can't they just wait until the coins are returned to them and spare us all the wasted space. If anyone wants to take a few potshots at me for this, go right ahead. You can even use live ammunition and put me out of my misery.

Chris

Chris, I'm pretty much with you on that. If someone is going to start a thread before they get the coins back, it would be nice if they would later just update that thread, rather than starting new ones along the way. wink.gif

Chris

Chris, I'm pretty much with you on that. If someone is going to start a thread before they get the coins back, it would be nice if they would later just update that thread, rather than starting new ones along the way. wink.gif

I agree with this also. Show the coins first, take out the middle steps, and then show the coins again with grades. BTW, we get to guess on the first showing though.

I think it would be cool is the person placed pictures of the coins with what they thought the grade would be and when they got them back post pictures with the coins graded in the slabs.That would be intersting.

I think it would be cool is the person placed pictures of the coins with what they thought the grade would be and when they got them back post pictures with the coins graded in the slabs.That would be intersting.

I think that is great idea John and Bobby. thumbsup2.gif

This may be a little OT, Mark, but I have the same problem with the "Collector Journals" section on the main page. Many of them are a waste of space and off topic.

I agree with the basic premise of the thread. While we are at it, I will add my own rant.

I would love to see a picture etiquette here. I think no more than 4 pictures a day per person with each one having a max one-side dimension of 800 pixels and a max size of 100KB would make life a lot better. The photography forums I frequent have these rules and no one seems to find it a hindrance for things with a lot more detail than coins. Even for those of us with high speed internet it would be nice not to be slowed down by gigantic pics of large size embedded in the post.

OK, flame away at me.

I like anywhere from 650 to 800pixels. I don't see where it's that much of a problem for me. Some of us have a lot of coins, those of us who don't, like looking at a lot of coins. Number of pics is not a bother. Sometimes a few pics are needed when it comes to trying to distinguish varieties, overtons, and Vams of coins. JMO

There are always exceptions but mainly I dislike the ones where I have to stretch the browser window and STILL have to scroll to see the whole image.

There are always exceptions but mainly I dislike the ones where I have to stretch the browser window and STILL have to scroll to see the whole image.

I agree, this is why 800pix should be good and as long as one is under the other. This keeps from spreading the window. I think I've even seen where the window will handle up to 1000pix before spreading.

I've complained about this before. It makes it very difficult to read text when you continually have to scroll back and forth. Personally, I limit the width of my photos to 900 or 450 each for two, side-by-side.

Mark, please accept my apology for derailing your thread. You can smack me if we ever have the opportunity to meet in person.

Chris