• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New here . . .

41 posts in this topic

I just started collecting, so bare with me smile.gif

My first question is: Is an "Early Release" coin more valuable than just a regular graded coin? Or does it really matter.

Welcome hi.gif

First of all Welcome. hi.gif

Early Release really has no meaning to the coins. There is no way to tell if the coins were the first ones struck or not. Early Relase really just means that someone received the coins within the first 30 days after the release of the bullion coins and they submitted them to NGC before the end of those 30 days.

Welcome to the forum Hardy. "Early Release" do not make the coin worth any more. That being said...Most "Early Release" coins sell for a premium over non-early release coins.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

So basically, "early release & first strike" have a meaning.

But they have no greater value as far as the coin itself.

It's all about the grade, and who graded it.

hi.gif Welcome to the forum..

Basically yes... first strike/early release are marketing ploys as TomB said. A "First Strike" could still holder at MS68 or 69 though from a reputable Third Party Grader (TPG). I say "reputable" here on purpose [NGC, PCGS, and ANACS]. There are some TPGs that will holder just about anything at MS70.

Leo

Thanks for the warm welcome.

So basically, "early release & first strike" have a meaning.

But they have no greater value as far as the coin itself.

It's all about the grade, and who graded it.

It's more like,It's all about the coin and what you think of it...

You are the one that assigns the value..

Numerical grades are only a part of the equation..

I just bought a 2007 Silver American Eagle NGC MS69 for 39.99 + S&H.

From ShopNBC.com

Was this a good buy, for that grade?

Or should I do more research next time.

Link : http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?familyid...rchList-_-N-_-N

I'd stay away from anything remotely akin to the home shopping network. There are some that love these; however, in my opinion these are just fancy bullion coins. Silver is currently trading at just around $13 per oz which is what I usually would want to pay. Anything off the TV has incredible amounts of overhead...you're paying for the profit margin of the seller AND the network.

Leo

I know silver is cheaper by the oz, around $14.

But that's without a grade, and no guarantee it could be an MS 69.

Say you buy an : AE S$1 BU for $14

After what you pay to have it graded, it's about the same.

$39.99 doesn't seem too outrageous to me, but you may just want to check out the completed auctions on eBay next time to see what similar items have been selling there. To me, that gives you a true sense of the market for those sorts of coins.

Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

"First Strike" or "Early Strike" or whatever have no effect on the value of the coin, but the slab IS worth more.

Like I said... some like to collect them [sAEs] and I certainly can't fault that. I've always thought the Walking Liberty design to be one of the most beautiful obverses ever to grace US coinage. There's obviously value in getting coins graded and slabbed as well... I just prefer spending my dollars elsewhere.

Leo

Welcome hardy. Others have told you about the Early release. No big deal just a designation for it. As for the eagle you bought on HSN, stay away. You didn't get ripped and probably would have been a couple dollars cheaper on ebay. For that price you could've gotten a 2007W NGCMS69. I love the eagle's. I think they are beautiful coins not knocking any others.

I would expect that the vast majority of 2007-W ASEs will be MS69. These do not sell for any premium to most folks since the money grade for this issue is usually MS70. If you are interested in the 2007-W ASE you might want to buy one directly from the US Mint for the issue price of $21.95 plus $4.95 shipping, which would be $20.08 less than you are paying currently.

Not so fast---Early Release, First Strike, First Day of Issue etc. do indeed add value to the holdered coin, but only for those collectors that seek them out and desire them. Not for everyone but clearly very desired by many, many collectors.

Don't buck the trend, the trend is your friend-----Jim Cramer