• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something seems wrong with my new 1914-D Lincoln cent

26 posts in this topic

I took in a small grouping of Lincolns and this one was pulled from the album.

The closer I look at it the more I think it's a bad one. The weight is correct along with the size... but the devices... I don't know.

Just seems "off".

Anyone else agree or is this a 'good one'?

14dx.jpg14dxx.jpg

As long as it's not a three inch coaster then I can tell you that in my opinion the D looks wrong. If it is, however, a three inch coaster then that was how they were made. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As long as it's not a three inch coaster then I can tell you that in my opinion the D looks wrong. If it is, however, a three inch coaster then that was how they were made. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
No, it's not a three inch coaster (although, looking at my pictures again... it takes take on that 'look'!).

It's in a 2X2 and you're right, the "D" looks wrong as you and Greg and others have pointed out.

The placement of the D might vary. The shape is wrong, though. It should be the same shape as the 1916-D Merc with the triangular shaped hole.

The placement of the D might vary. The shape is wrong, though. It should be the same shape as the 1916-D Merc with the triangular shaped hole.

That is one of the diagnostics, the triangular interior of the 'D'. The spacing between the '9' and the '1', and, of course, the 'VDB' on the shoulder. Mike

But in this case, I believe I believe the coin is a genuine 1914 with an added mintmark. The "1" is correctly placed, and I suspect there will be no trace of "VDB" on the shoulder.

Diagnostics for counterfeit 1914 D Cent can be found at PCGS "Diagnostics Alert" Alterations for this date can take many forms. It's more rewarding for you to learn them and use them now and in the future.---David Hall

Diagnostics for counterfeit 1914 D Cent can be found at PCGS "Diagnostics Alert" Alterations for this date can take many forms. It's more rewarding for you to learn them and use them now and in the future.---David Hall

Would you be so kind as to explain where the "Diagnostics Alert" is located?

Welcome David, it's nice to see you make it ATS!

smirk.gif

As said the D on a genuine 14-D is smaller, has a distictive triangular hole, and one thing that hasn't been mentioned, relatively large serifs. (Look at the posted pictures of the real ones.) The coin in question has little or no serifs, and a large open D shaped hole.

Here are a few links that may be useful:

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=1589&universeid=313&type=1

http://oicoins.com/index_files/Page629.htm

Here's my 1914-D:

original.jpg

I believe the OP's coin is a real 1914 with an added mintmark -- the "D" is all wrong. A closeup picture of the date/mintmark would make it easier to be sure...Mike