• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your counterfeit coins here

62 posts in this topic

I'm not going to go on and obess or ramble on my coins, but I thought this thread would be helpful and beneficial to new people or to people who want to know more about counterfeit coins and how to spot them.

There are 5 main types of counterfeits, transfer dies, spark erosion,Electrotypes,

cast, and hand-engraved dies

Transfer dies use a geniune host coin that is destroyed to make a main die, the main die is then used to make as many counterfeit coins as the counterfeiter wants. All coins made by this die will have the same defects. Sometimes when there is a defect on the coin, such as a lump the counterfeiter will attempt to remove it, this leaves tooling marks, making it even more visible and obvious as a counterfeit. Different coins are used in different counterfeit methods. Gold coins often use transfer dies, and these are usually the most deceptive. Low quality counterfeit coins from china usually are cast. I have a counterfeit ASE, (american silver eagle), I know it's counterfeit because I got it from someone who said it was, also, the date on it is 1903 grin.gif

It's also not made of silver. You can tell this by the weight or the "ring test". Silver coins ring at a different pitch than non-silver coins.

So I hope this has helped some people. I'll also post a link for more information, a few coins. 2 good books to buy are Bill fivas , and PCGS guide to grading and counterfeit detection

Also, this article is a good one. LINK

The first coin is a transfer die counterfeit. It's gold. Many transfer die counterfeits use the right weight for the coin , and real gold, sometimes the right fineness too. So even if the coin is a counterfeit, you at least have money in the gold content.

counterfeitgoldindianobverse.jpg

counterfeitindianreverse.jpg

So if you have a counterfeit coin or an image of one, post it here!

We can all learn.

thumbsup2.gifyay.gif

I'm a proud owner of this coin. It's not an outright counterfeit but it is an altered date. The 1846 is the king of the Seated Half Dime series and this coin, if real, would probably sell in the $700 range. The close up photo shows clearly how the metal was moved to create the 6.

ps. I bought it as an altered date coin.

1846mt7.jpg

datezg3.jpg

Here are some counterfeit 1910 Caballito Mexican pesos that I bought a while back (I bought them as fakes). I believe they are likely made of pewter.

1910pesos.JPG

I've had this coin for about 30-35 years and got it from an uncle who got it who knows where. It is a poor counterfeit of a Nova Constellatio which is cast instead of stamped.

NovaConstellatio-1.jpg

BSS, the head of that eagle looks more like a Chinese dragon. How ironic...I'm guessing it's one of the Chinese fakes?

Yes sireee. Bought from a genuine China ebayer! 27_laughing.gif

These are two pieces that I made in my basement and not only fooled the dealer I sold them to, but also fooled PCGS when he submitted them. I wouldn't want to be the person holding these coins now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

LIBERTYHEADOB.jpg

BeautifulBEST-1.jpg

These are two pieces that I made in my basement and not only fooled the dealer I sold them to, but also fooled PCGS when he submitted them. I wouldn't want to be the person holding these coins now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

LIBERTYHEADOB.jpg

BeautifulBEST-1.jpg

Very funny wise guy.

grin.gifmakepoint.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gifinsane.gifpoke2.gifscrewy.gifsign-funnypost.gif

These below were made from hand-engraved dies, to fool the general public as money. Note that the 1838 is of the obsolete lettered edge/50c style. Finally, as an appreciator of the obscure, these are pieces which I think should not be shunned. They are as much as part of our monetary history as genuine US Mint issued coins.

50c-cntft-1830.jpg

50c-1833-cnft.jpg

50c-1838-cnft.jpg

There are three main types of counterfeits, transfer dies, spark erosion,Electrotypes, and cast.

Stinkycheese---let me guess. Math isn't one of your better subjects in school. smile.gif

There are three main types of counterfeits, transfer dies, spark erosion,Electrotypes, and cast.

Stinkycheese---let me guess. Math isn't one of your better subjects in school. smile.gif

Can we add hand-engraved dies to that list?

I have posted this coin previously in another post but it is one that has been deemed "not genuine" by NGC. It is a good example of the Rackateer Nickel which at some point was plated in order to try to pass it on as a $5 gold piece as opposed to a Liberty Head No Cents Nickel.

Rey

thIMG_0876.jpg

thIMG_0875.jpg

Wow I just want to thank you all this is a very helpfull post to a new collector like myself. I hope no one lost to much money on any of these.

This post shows ya how many different coins have been attempted for counterfiet. I know that the surface probably has just been scratched here. Can't wait to see more! thumbsup2.gif