• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats your opinion on this matter?

16 posts in this topic

foreheadslap.gifI really hate this post this, and I think it's really trivial so I want to get the facts straight. Has anyone here ever seen white "stress" marks on PCGS slabs? I have a PCGS slab (with the older PNG hologram on the back) and the more modern PCGS slab with the saint gaudens hologram on the back. On both slabs, on the inside of the slab, there are 2 indentations in which the slabs were put together. (On the bottom edge and the top edge). On the modern slab, these are clear. But on my older slab, there are 2 white marks. I like to call these stress marks, because I think it's from stress from when the slab was put together. This also appears on the side edge of the slab, although less noticiable. But on the more modern slab, it's just clear.

Again, I think it's normal and just from the stress of putting the slab together, but I'm not sure.I just wanted to post this and see if anyone else has seen this. Oh, and I realize I should know better to post this, so please forgive me, also, please don't flame me. insane.gif

Thanks again for the help.

Here's a picture just in case:

20070624_232146_Slabbedwhitelin.jpg

foreheadslap.gifI really hate this post this, and I think it's really trivial so I want to get the facts straight. Has anyone here ever seen white "stress" marks on PCGS slabs? I have a PCGS slab (with the older PNG hologram on the back) and the more modern PCGS slab with the saint gaudens hologram on the back. On both slabs, on the inside of the slab, there are 2 indentations in which the slabs were put together. (On the bottom edge and the top edge). On the modern slab, these are clear. But on my older slab, there are 2 white marks. I like to call these stress marks, because I think it's from stress from when the slab was put together. This also appears on the side edge of the slab, although less noticiable. But on the more modern slab, it's just clear.

Again, I think it's normal and just from the stress of putting the slab together, but I'm not sure.I just wanted to post this and see if anyone else has seen this. Oh, and I realize I should know better to post this, so please forgive me, also, please don't flame me. insane.gif

Thanks again for the help.

you shouldn't hate to post anything here, we're all friendly and we joke around but we also try to help,when we can. is it possible the marks may be caused by abraison? just a thought. why not post this question in the 'ask ngc forum'? the king pins there may have a possible explanation.

halfpint

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's a picture just in case:

20070624_232146_Slabbedwhitelin.jpg

I have heard others ask this question before, if you search in the forums this might be answered somewhere better than I can. These white stress marks, from what I have seen are fairly common on all types of slabs. PCGS, NGC, and ANACS slabs (those are the three I have bought) have all had them. I think it is a function of the sealing process, and nothing to worry about. Also, If someone ever drops a slab, a mark like this could occur. I hope this helps.

My opinion is that this is the type of thread which is better suited for the Numismatic Tangents forum.

Please know that I don't mean to pick on you, in particular, and anticipate posting the same thing to other (non-U.S. Coins) threads as they arise. But, I had started this thread recently, and it was suggested that I might refer certain posts to the Numismatic Tangents forum. wink.gif

My opinion is that this is the type of thread which is better suited for the Numismatic Tangents forum.

Please know that I don't mean to pick on you, in particular, and anticipate posting the same thing to other (non-U.S. Coins) threads as they arise. But, I had started this thread recently, and it was suggested that I might refer certain posts to the Numismatic Tangents forum. wink.gif

This was posted before your thread Mark. I don't think a thread can be deleted/moved after 24-48 hrs. I'm sure that other members will take your thread as good advice as to how the forums should be used. thumbsup2.gif

It'd be nice if Arch gave a couple of members the power to move threads. That way any OT threads in the Coins forum could be move to Tangents.

It'd be nice if Arch gave a couple of members the power to move threads. That way any OT threads in the Coins forum could be move to Tangents.

who are you and What the hell have you done with Greg 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This was posted before your thread Mark. I don't think a thread can be deleted/moved after 24-48 hrs. I'm sure that other members will take your thread as good advice as to how the forums should be used. thumbsup2.gif

I didn't expect that the thread would be moved. I just thought it was a good, fairly recent one to start with. devil.gif

cheese i agree with you and the new generation of slabs do make a much cleaner presentation

i think it is a process of evolution to consTANTLY IMPROVE

thumbsup2.gif

Gee whiz, man! If you hate to post it and think you already have enough confirmation on the matter to have an opinion, why are you posting it? I'm assuming it's because you need more confirmation about it. Okay, I'll add my voice to those who say it's nothing to worry about.

And for the record, I think this thread is related to coins closely enough that it belongs in this forum. I had taken the "numismatic tangents" to be exonumia. Maybe I haven't spent enough time in that forum.

Edited to add that I took a look there, and I was wrong. It's largely about the details of the coin business. I noticed that Mr. Feld posted a thread there about the effect of fingerprints on a coins grade. I think he posted it in the wrong forum. I think it should have been in this forum. wink.gif