• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spouse coin ordering question [MINT MAY BE CANCELLING ORDERS!]

25 posts in this topic

Well it looks like the mint may cancel all orders that were placed before the official time. I ordered 5 Martha Washington proofs at 11:58am (2 minutes before the noon opening) and my order was in stock and reserved (and my credit card was also approved). 5 days later, my account was put on hold again and a representative from the mint (supervisor) informed me that the order was cancelled and can not be reinstated. The reason for this was because the orders were placed before the mint scheduled them to be available. The woman was very rude and hung up on me! I called the mint again and spoke to a different rep and she told me that it was a management decision to review all the "early" orders and that a decision would be forethcoming on cancellations next week. I asked if there was any one I could talk to in the management department and she said there is no contact with them and all decisions of course are final. There is absolutely nothing a person can do about this situation.

Here was the progression of my order:

In stock and Reserved (order on hold 6/19.2007), In stock and reserved (order in process 6/21/2007), Backordered until 7/13/2007 (order on hold)!

Next mint updated: Order Cancelled?!

wow...that's cold...maybe they shouldn't have enabled the product on the website early! Like you're actually taking note of the time...I bet you were just refreshing until it was enabled...

I imagine they're dealing with a lot of unhappy people all around. With the whole subscription fiasco and now this whole sellout in a few hours. No love for da mint these days.

I personaly think this is a good idea as it makes it fairer for collectors over dealers who are bagging them all to re-sell to the collectors who are waiting untill the release date.. and a releace date should be exacley that the first date you can order or buy the coin..

saying that i think the order which was placed 2mins before the release time i think they were a bit silly and should have honered it..

But if they did not open the order line untill the date/time they could stop all this sillyness..

Daft english man has a sign-rantpost.gif

hi.gif

I ordered the coins at 11:58 AM according to the Mint site. I have received all my coins. Let's see them cancel that! sumo.gif

If the Mint didn't want people ordering them early, then they shouldn't have allowed it to happen. They're the ones that put them on sale a few minutes early. Not the buyers fault they took advantage of it.

Do you remember what your order number was? I just want to compare it to mine to see if your order was earlier than mine. I am in danger of losing these coins - this has happened to me in the past too - lost a set of 10 SAE 20th anniversary eagles for some rediculous reason!

Jeff

I guess I am playing the "Devil's Advocate" right now.

The U.S MInt clearly states in all of their order instructions that all orders placed before the official on-sale time would be cancelled on all of their products, not just these Spouse coins.

Orders cancelled before "official" on-sale date and time

Question

What happens to orders placed prior to the "official" on-sale date and/or time?

Answer

Any mail orders received prior to an "official" on-sale date or time are held until the official start of sales to be processed. In general our systems are setup up not to take orders early, however, on occasion, some orders have slipped through. If this happens, those orders are cancelled and the United States Mint will attempt to notify the customer and give them the opportunity to re-place their order, if inventory is still available.

beatdeadhorsepf0.gif

I guess I am playing the "Devil's Advocate" right now.

The U.S MInt clearly states in all of their order instructions that all orders placed before the official on-sale time would be cancelled on all of their products, not just these Spouse coins.

Not completely true... The mint clearly states that orders placed before the "official" start time will be HELD until the "Official" start time. Only those orders that somehow slid through (dont know exactly how that would happen) would be cancelled.

No way they should be cancelling orders. When you order tickets on Ticketmaster, the web site doesn't let you place an order until the official on sale time. The mint web site should take note.

And who's to say the time is really 11:58 or 11:59 or even 12:00? Ask five different people what time it is, and they might all be close, but they'll not likely all be the same.

I don't see how they can let orders go thru before the start time anyway. I always thought that the selling didn't start until the actual time. This is news to me. It seems a fair process but doesn't seem fair to allow purchases minutes before the sale and then cancel.

I don't think you'll have to worry about it now. The Mint sold all 80,000 in two hours. That is more than 11 per second. Who says that their customer service $uck$?

bumpit.gifC bumpit.gifH bumpit.gifR bumpit.gifI bumpit.gifS bumpit.gif

I Have lost mint orders before by ordering early... 20th is an example. Hard not to pull the trigger once it opens up...... Usually though failed orders for me have been tied to a credit card glitch, especially with subscriptions. They never call and just cancel if the card is not ready..... At least now they email to let you know the charge is coming. Now I only place orders on a card reserved just for the mint purchases or coins and always know the balance. Nice for keeping records of all purchases and sales with their yearly report..... My spouse order is posted on backorder till 7/14.

Why rush it? Wait until noon, 12:05 even just to be safe, and still get your order in. It would be near impossible for any product to sell out in 5 ,10, or even 30 minutes. Wait the extra 3 minutes and guarantee yourself a set.

In a strange quirk of fate, the US Mint seems to have reinstated my cancelled order and it is now listed as scheduled to ship 7/5/2007. What a turnaround!

Jeff

Really good deal! I know they were getting some heat from almost everyone, but it's just great to hear that you are getting yours shipped now..

Maybe they decided that they either had to cancel all the early orders or none of them. And since some of the early orders had already been sent out, they felt they had to honor the others. (And some poor sap at the other end of the order line gets HIS canceled.)