• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Please!

11 posts in this topic

i just recieved this coin.got it for 40$ on the bay.i also recieved my overton book! holy moly is that thing big! but im just not able to see the devices very well due to ware and its a low vf @ best. was wondering if any1 could see a overton on this coin?

thank you much!

newcbhobv.jpg

newcbhrev.jpg

I vote O-111 due to no serif on the 1 in 1832 and blunt triangular serif on the 5 in 50c as well as apparent Star 13 being centered. I is centered below T. I grade it VG-10. Its a nice find, truly original looking!

-Broc

Not bad obverse details but I think the reverse takes it down...I think this is more of an F12...L

BTW...not a clue on the Overton variety...sorry

:(

1. what is milling?

Milling is the small bumps around the inside of the rim. In this case, the milling is nearly completely missing. Typically the milling is one of the key determining factors of the variety of a Bust Half since each of the outer edge stars (star 1, 7, 8, 13) points to a different point of the milling, either centered on one of the mills, between two, at the upper or lower edge or half.

It seems to me the best way to determine a variety is to first look at the position of star seven in relation to the Headband and Curl. For this year most of the varieties are at the Junction between the Headband and Curl. Since this one is at that position it doesn't help much. If it were one of the other positions it would shorten the process quite a bit for this year. The next step for me is to find defining characteristics for the year, such as large or small letters, or in this case the difference between the blunt and serif type ones in the date. That limits to just a few varieties in this case. Next I will check the space between '50' and 'C' on the reverse. If this doesn't give a variety I will start to compare the position of the outer points of the stars mentioned above to the points on the milling. For this coin it is nearly impossible, but luckily the blunt one, star seven vs curl/band and position/shape of the 50c seems to nail it to O-111. I hope this helps!

-Broc

thank you all much! this book is awsome and recomended! but i still think opinions help alot smile.gif

i have 1 more question.! on this coin there seems to be a huge scrape or contact or something. you can see it btween left wing and left site of banner. will this get coin bagged? i would like it to grade but for 40 buxx ill add to a book smile.gif

Now that scratch I did notice Ant. I've already seen one coin on here with a small nic on the rim that got BB'd and I'm sure you did in the BB post. Looks like they can be piticular. I would say that there is a chance that it could be BB'd for this. I seen where jtryka had a Saint that was BB'd for a scratch on the reverse. Who knows?