• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A counterfeit 10$ indian

6 posts in this topic

I was browsing across the street and found this thread: Here

The following is a fake counterfeit $10 gold indian. Notice the weak/mushy details and letters. Also notice the color seems off. Just doesn't look right. It's probably a transfer die counterfeit, not a spark erosion or cast.

counterfeitgoldindianobverse.jpg

counterfeitindianreverse.jpg

over a month ago I purchased a $10 liberty gold coin that turn out to be a fake . the weight and the content is same but it was not from the us mint. the grade of the coin looked vg to fine and was a common date. one thing I could not figure out was why they would make a copy of a common date ? I sold it to a local dealer who was willing to take it off my hand for a discount. I lost $30 in the transaction

over a month ago I purchased a $10 liberty gold coin that turn out to be a fake . the weight and the content is same but it was not from the us mint. the grade of the coin looked vg to fine and was a common date. one thing I could not figure out was why they would make a copy of a common date ? I sold it to a local dealer who was willing to take it off my hand for a discount. I lost $30 in the transaction

Where did you buy it? Thats odd too because most times a gold coin that is that worn is real. As a general rule.

I'm thinking that counterfeiters are not just aiming at rare coins anymore. There are getting to be too many common coins being counterfeited. I think what ever has the potential for making money is at jeopardy.

That's a good quality fake, but to me the lettering in the motto was just not right. As for counterfeiting common dates, the ones done in the 1960s in the middle east were almost all common dates, that way they could convert their gold to a better numismatic premium and most people would not scrutinize the coins (after all who would counterfeit a common date?). BTW, the one counterfiet double eagle I've purchased was a 1904.