• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flowing Hair Type Set Just Completed ...

32 posts in this topic

I posted this ATS yesterday and someone requested that I post it over here as well ...

Late last year, following the well-debated "box of 20" discussions, I decided to change my collecting habits and start a more focused collection. Not necessarily because the bulk of the experts recommended it, but because the thought of putting together a lesser number of related "WOW" coins appealed to me (WOW, of course, being a subjective response). After spending some time considering what coins Wowed me as I walked through the bourses, I decided to attempt a complete 18th Century US coinage set, beginning with the easier 5 coin flowing hair type set to get my feet wet. Well, the final coin in the flowing hair type set just showed up today and, seeing them all in one place, I can't help but wonder if any of these coins have jingled together in the same pocket before. Now, both my feet and appetite have been wetted/whetted ...

smile.gif

flowinghair.jpg

01c-1793ChainXF40.jpg

01c-1793WreathVF30.jpg

10hd-1795AU58.jpg

50c-1794VF35.jpg

$1-1795ThreeVF35.jpg

PS - Thanks Anaconda and MacIntosh Coins smile.gif

That is impressive. Other than having them graded how can you tell the denomination on the dollar and half dollar on these coins?

Congratuations! acclaim.gif

That's a super set, but you are lacking the half cent. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You Chain Cent is better than mine by a long shot. thumbsup2.gif For the other coins I have higher grades except for the half dime where we are tied. To be honest I like my half dime better. I think your piece has been dipped, but it's still nice.

That is impressive. Other than having them graded how can you tell the denomination on the dollar and half dollar on these coins?

I believe the denominations are noted on the lettered edge (the half says, "fifty cents or half a dollar"). That is one exceptional set!

Thank you for sharing these photos over here. I must say it is an extremely impressive set. The half dime is beautiful even if it doesn't match the toned look of the other pieces, and the chain cent is quite impressive.

I noticed (ATS) that you were looking to expand it to include all the 18th century issues. Do you count the "AMERI" chain cent as a separate type?

The half dollar and dollar are marked on the edge. I believe the half dollar reads, "Fiifty cents or half a dollar." The dollar is marked "Hundred cents one dollar or unit." One of the downsides to having coins slabbed is that you can't see the edge letting any more. One can see hints of it in PCGS slabs. You can't see any of it in NGC slabs.

There are no marking whatsoever on the half dime as to its face value. Those coins were too thin for edge letting and had reeding instead.

Early coins traded by their weight and metal content, not by their denomination. This was especially true of the gold pieces. If a $5 gold piece happened to be underweight (because someone had messed with it) you stood a chance of not getting a $5 credit for it if you took it to a bank.

The need get the weight right was the reason you see adjustment marks on early coins. Planchets that were too light almost aways had to be remelted. There are a few Flowing Hair dollars that have a plug that was attached to the planchet to bring it up to standard. Planchets that were too heavy had the excess medal scraped off with a file.

Here is a Flowing Hair dollar that has adjustment marks on the obverse.

1795FlowDolO-1.jpg1795FlowDolR-1.jpg

I notice that the head is positioned differently on the dollar and half dollar, and they look like they may be differently proportioned. Is this true of all varieties?

What a great type set. Such simple beauty. You are to be congratulated on such a nice collection of true American coinage. Thank you for sharing your prize with us.

Aside from the edge lettering, which has already been mentioned, folks would have an idea as to denomination simply by the size of the coin in-hand. Of course, with images we can make all the coins appear as large as we want, but in-hand the difference would be obvious.

Aside from the edge lettering, which has already been mentioned, folks would have an idea as to denomination simply by the size of the coin in-hand. Of course, with images we can make all the coins appear as large as we want, but in-hand the difference would be obvious.

That is why I included the first picture ... so that you can see the relative sizes smile.gif

I agree that is a nice set, but in my opinion it would be even better with a lower grade half dime. Everything else is a nice crusty VF-30, and while that half dime certainly is a WOW coin, it doesn't seem to fit with the set.

I agree that is a nice set, but in my opinion it would be even better with a lower grade half dime. Everything else is a nice crusty VF-30, and while that half dime certainly is a WOW coin, it doesn't seem to fit with the set.

I agree completely! With regard to the half dime that I have, some people love it and some people hate it. Has it been dipped? Likely, yes. However, it is an oddity amongst the early type coinage that I have encountered thus far ... the fields are mirrored like a prooflike Morgan. If it did not have the die characteristics of a LM-10, I would swear that it was a specimen that made it in to circulation. It must have come from a heck of a planchet ... plus, it is one of the few that I have seen that is completely devoid of adjustment marks. I'll pick up a 1794 half dime as well that, hopefully, with match the set a little better ...

smile.gif

drool worthy. hail.gif

Absolutely. Spectacular set! cloud9.gif Countless stories to tell with such a set as an example. I hope you have a lifetime of opportunity to spin some great tales.

Hoot

I am glad you posted this here also Fletcher. There are a great bunch of people here. Some (like myself) visit both sides of the street, but some don't so It was nice to see these here for all to see. Your set is very impressive and I am glad to see you being proud of them...I sure would be.

There is a much more professional atmosphere here and a whole lot less KoolAid consumed so you will enjoy the folks here.

It is as cool here as it is ATS. thumbsup2.gif

flowerred.gif

now you got to continue the type set and do 17th century silver coinage like a cloud9.gifpine tree shilling cloud9.gif from the colonial state of massachusetts struck in historic boston and arguably the first american silver coin struck by americans in america in boston the start of it all for the american revolution makepoint.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gif

the most in demand segment of the current coin market is pre 1836 early american coinage cloud9.gif especially so early copper and gold!!(thumbs up

hail.gifalways has been always will be hail.gif