• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fun Survey Question: Back in time for a coin of your choice......

26 posts in this topic

Just a fun survey question to see what people will come up with.

Here is the question:

If you could go back to any point in time, and walk in to any Bank in the US, and buy a single bag or Roll of coins, to bring back to the present day with you, what coin would you purchase at face value? Why that coin? and What would you do with the coins in the present day?

I will start off with my selection.

I would go back in time to 1916 and get myself a bag/roll of Mercury dimes from the Denver mint. Because I love Mercury Dimes. I would submit them for grading, keep a few for my personal collection, donate 1 to the Smithsonian Institute, and sell the rest.

i would say @ least 1 roll of cbh.

i would do that cause if u look at ebay the cleaned anacs coins sell for lots :P

and of course i would have to keep a few for myslef while selling the others in pcgs slabs smile.gif

good question and thaught process there! thanks for the thread smile.gif

I don't know about an entire roll, but I would like to acquire the Pan-Pac $50 slugs, both round and octagonal.

Not even a question... a bag of 1798 silver dollars (assuming they had such a thing). headbang.gif YEOW, that would be AWESOME!!! yay.gif Look at all the varieties of that year, not to mention you'd get BOTH the small eagle and the Heraldic eagle (not to mention they'd be worth a serious chunk of change).

I would first get $25 worth of colonial currency and go to a large bank in 1796 and get a bag of 1796 1/2 cents with or without the pole, I wouldn't really care. What a return on your investment. They are so beautiful a coin and are our first coins, then their is the monetary gain.

All of you guys who say that you want to get a bag of a rare coin (1916D, 1907 HR, 1798, 1793 1c) seem to be missing a very fundamental economic law, in my opinion. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When the supply of one of these coins increases by that many in uncirculated grade, the price is going to drop significantly and as such, today's price guides would be completely irrelevant. hi.gif

All of you guys who say that you want to get a bag of a rare coin (1916D, 1907 HR, 1798, 1793 1c) seem to be missing a very fundamental economic law, in my opinion. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When the supply of one of these coins increases by that many in uncirculated grade, the price is going to drop significantly and as such, today's price guides would be completely irrelevant. hi.gif

Then go for the S-VDB. 50 new uncs would not really be noticed unless you sell them all at once. Actually the same would be the case for the HR, and in fact numerous "key dates" of popular series.

Actually, I have two "wishes" on this subject:

My first wish would be to transport myself in a submarine back to September, 1622 and follow the Atocha and Margarita.

My second wish would be to go back to 1960 and buy 25 bags of Morgans from the Treasury release.

Chris

1928 to buy me a roll or two or 1927-D Saints, and maybe throw in a few rolls of 27-S, 26-D, 26-S, 25-S, 25-D, 24-D and 24-S...

I think I'd go for 1794 dollars. How many's in a bag? 1000? Well that would be over half the mintage. I could sell them off at two a year and do okay for a while I guess. The type collectors have the 1795s to fill the hole, and there is only one die marriage for 1794. So the demand would come from date collectors of early dollars. I'm guessing there are probably enough of those to absorb a hundred more examples over a fifty year period.

1796 and pick up two 50 cent pieces. I would keep one of them in order to complete my half dollar type set and sell the other to finance another trip back...this time to 1797 to get a single half in order to complete my year run.

Yes, I know taking 2 trips is cheating, but hey, at least I am not trying to distroy the market value of anyone else's collection by bringing back a bag full. wink.gif

Assuming turning a very handsome profit isn't the sole motivation, I'd go back and get some trade dollars. That's one fine looking coin in my book.

I would go back to the mid to late 1840's to early 50's to be able to secure some $10G Coronets coming out of the New Orleans Mint.

Rey