• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Spouse tomorrow

92 posts in this topic

Let me tell ya what will happen. There will be low mintages of the first 2, then the mint will catch on, and on the 3rd one that EVERYBODY wants, they will make a gazillion of them.....

MM 893whatthe.gif

I would like to ask another question, but don't think it's really worth a new thread since it's kind of related.

How many of you guys who don’t want to buy any of the gold spouses tomorrow initially bought more than one 20th anniversary silver eagle set from the mint on day 1 or 2? I'm just interested from a speculator vs. collector standpoint :-)

Well that 3rd one is probably the most attractive. grin.gif

i really think the jefferson one is the only one i will go after i cant wait for the new bustie! smirk.gif

This is sweet - so if everyone speculates that the third will be the most profitable and nobody buys the first two then my purchases will be worth even more...

Not really looking at profitability, looking more at the asthetic appeal. thumbsup2.gif

I would like to ask another question, but don't think it's really worth a new thread since it's kind of related.

How many of you guys who don’t want to buy any of the gold spouses tomorrow initially bought more than one 20th anniversary silver eagle set from the mint on day 1 or 2? I'm just interested from a speculator vs. collector standpoint :-)

I can't afford gold so I don't buy gold. I had a subscription for one 20th annv. set and that's what I have. Good enough for me! thumbsup2.gif

In terms of potential profitability I will be buying the max for each coin and will probably see if they will flip for a profit - I will buy the third coin for myself. Yes I bought multiple 20th anniversary silver sets - exactly 57 sets.

It doesn't seem like there's much to lose...the spot price for gold is around $330 per 1/2 ounce and nothing sells at spot - always a little above. These are selling $100 above spot. Worst case you just got a whole bunch of gold to hold on to (not a bad investment) - best case is that these turn into high demand items.

I ordered a bunch of them. I think the downside is pretty small and they very well might sell out. I think I will flip all of them.

I just placed an order for 5 of each of the proofs. As several have mentioned in this thread, I too really can't afford gold. My hope here is to sell 4 of each of the proofs leaving me with one of each, then using any "profit" to cover the expense of the pair I kept. With a little bit of luck I will break even and be sitting on two coins that I want for my collection. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I am curious about one thing. The U.S. Mint states that there will be a "maximum mintage of 40,000 across all product options" for Martha (and Abigail). I interpret this to mean that a maximum of 40,000 coins will be produced for Martha (and Abigail) - including BOTH proof AND uncirculated. Which could mean that if an equal number of proofs and uncirculateds for Martha were ordered, there would only be 20,000 of each available to the public. Have I interpreted that correctly?

Thanks.

I believe your interpretation of the mintages is correct. It is my understanding, from the poorly worded US Mint press release, that 40,000 coins per first wife will be sold and that the 40,000 limit may be broken up in any ratio between business strike and proof examples.

No, it was bogged down closer to noon. My Dad got his order in at about 12:30, and the first people to place orders had already left. He bought his for resale.

I ordered 3 proofs and 2 uncirc of each. Who knows which will sell at a better premium. I'll be happy to sell my extras for just enough to let me keep 1 proof and 1 uncirc for below spot gold price. I'm not too greedy.

The web site let me start my order about 6 minutes before noon and the actual order got placed according to the Mint's order history page at 2 minutes before noon. confused-smiley-013.gif There was very little lag in ordering, but shortly after this their site became very slow.

Given the 40,000 max mintages and 10 coin limit per design, the Mint only needs 4,000 orders to sell out. I suspect a significant number of early orders were for the max limit from all the dealers and speculators. It would not surprise me to learn the coins have all sold out.

ATS they did the math, and if the order numbers are consecutive, there have been close to 10,000 orders.

ATS did the math on many other items this past year and were not even close to predicting the correct sell out time. While it is likely the early orders were for max amounts, it is not a guarantee. Also, I've yet to see where it has been stated that order numbers are sequential. And of course there are very likely people ordering other stuff from the mint at the same time these are for sale, so not all orders are for First Spouse.

Still, I think a sellout.

And one more thing, why are people placing an order for Martha proofs, then a new order for Martha mint states, etc? That screws up the order numbers. I ordered all four types at once.

I have to admit that I ordered these...by mistake. foreheadslap.gif I was reading so many threads about these pieces, primarily on the PCGS boards, that I went to the US Mint site before 12:00 EST and went through the motions of placing an order simply to see how fast the site was responding. However, at 11:50 EST when I finished my order I pressed the checkout button and voila I received a confirmation email from the US Mint telling me that my 11:50 EST order was in stock and reserved. foreheadslap.gif

Time to change your icon to reflect your new collecting interests:

X07_popup.jpg

Actually, if you don't cancel your order, you'll likely be able to sell these quickly to a dealer at a profit. I bet some forum members would be willing to buy them from you right now.