• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My newp 1809 Bustie. Story be told...

20 posts in this topic

Feel free to guess the grade and Overton. Story to follow later in the weekend.

100_0650.jpg

100_0652.jpg

I know it will be hard to grade this from a pic, no matter how good, because I sure have trouble in hand, but what the hey. the skin is very thick on this one. popcorn.gifyay.gif

Yes, extremely hard to do a photo-grade with images, but I do like the skin.

I'd like to see the shoulder clasp a bit better, see if there is an oval with the oval, the hair behind her ear shows evidence of wear, all the stars centers are intact, high spot on Phrygian (cap) has a bit of a light color indicating maybe a bit of wear there...the eagles talons are hard to see if there is distinction between the skin and talon, eagles right wing crest shows wear as does the crown above the eagles eye.

How about a nice VF-35

Would I own this…YES!

Note: with better images I might be able to squeak an XF-40 but reluctant to do so at this point and time. Still, a nice example of our very early coinage.

The center has a very weak strike, and shows little wear. There are no details for the oval. Or some of the hair for that matter.

The center has a very weak strike, and shows little wear. There are no details for the oval. Or some of the hair for that matter.

Thanks for the info Dave but we want to hear the story. Now! 27_laughing.gif

I should specify that this coin does have 50% of its luster present. Give or take. No, it is not a VF coin, and that is all that I will say for now, just to focus you doofusses in a bit. grin.gif

I should specify that this coin does have 50% of its luster present. Give or take. No, it is not a VF coin, and that is all that I will say for now, just to focus you doofusses in a bit. grin.gif

I googled "doofus" and this is what I got...doofus.jpgare you saying we are like fish out of the water when we say VF based on the images? 27_laughing.gif

Mike, would this be a STEAK coin?

It's beautiful thumbsup2.gif

this is definitely a steak coin, scarce in EF and very scarce in AU, and not easy to find this nice.

PCGS would likely grade this one XF, 45 on a good day. NGC should go XF45 easily.

For those liking dark toning, this looks like a nice one.

I was actually somewhat impressed with the strike, especially on the left wing (looking at the eagle). I have seen 1809s in Unc that had a flat wing from a weak strike. To me it looks like an AU 50/53, and an Overton 103, which is an R-1.

I love the color of the coin. Too many of these have been overdipped.

This started back in February as this ANACS AU-50 coin that sold for $700

431046034o.jpg

431046034r.jpg

Went on the heels of a PCGS AU-50 coin that may or may not have been as nice and sold for $800

And now, most recently, this coin re-appears in an NGC AU-55 holder

497965.jpg

379827.jpg

And sells for what it did last time, plus the grading fee.

Not much of a story, but interesting that whoever bought it, flipped it immediately and lost money, unless it was Heritage that bought the coin...