• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NT 1923 Peace dollar.

16 posts in this topic

Here's a Newp that definitely has me bouncing up and down. No questions asked NT Peace dollars with a variety of colors are few and far betweeen. My best guess is that this is end of roll toning. The coin is an NGC MS65 and is solid to PQ for the grade. I find that the colors of the image on my monitor are a little off. What shows up from 3-5 o'clock as blue is more of a blueish fuscia, the green is more of a teal, and the gold/amber is not as dark as shown. In any case the colors are cool, and there are a lot of neat subtleties in hand with this coin. It makes me a happy camper.

Peace23N65_700.jpg

Here's a Newp that definitely has me bouncing up and down. No questions asked NT Peace dollars with a variety of colors are few and far betweeen. My best guess is that this is end of roll toning. The coin is an NGC MS65 and is solid to PQ for the grade. I find that the colors of the image on my monitor are a little off. What shows up from 3-5 o'clock as blue is more of a blueish fuscia, the green is more of a teal, and the gold/amber is not as dark as shown. In any case the colors are cool, and there are a lot of neat subtleties in hand with this coin. It makes me a happy camper.

Peace23N65_700.jpg

Beautiful! hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow, Sy!! That one really has some colors. I haven't seen a lot of toned Peace Dollars, but that one most definitely is a wild one. I like those colors. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thanks guys, glad you like it. I've been looking for a killer gem NT Peace dollar toner for a LONG time, and this one came out of nowhere. As the saying goes, "When you least expect it...".

Wild colors on a Peace, that's unusual. What makes you think it is end roll toned?

Jason, after seeing a lot of toned coins over many years you just start to get a feel for what condition produces what sort of toning. In this case it is NOT bag toning, or envelope toning, or mint set toning (no mint sets in this era), or artificial toning. That really only leaves album toning and roll toning. It has much more the feel of roll toning, and due to the toning pattern it is much more likely EOR toned.

for my own edification, why do you believe this coin is NT and not AT?

Mike, at the end of the day all I can say is the specific look of the coin.

However, in the interests of trying to educate people here's some basic thoughts. Peace dolllars if they tone up naturally WITH PLEASING COLORS (e.g. not gray or mud which are the vast majority) generally tend to get a light goldenish tint to them. Given the 10's of millions of Peace dollars there are obviously lots of other colors out there including a fair amount with a light opalescent look or very subtle pink, but in broad brushstrokes I would guess that a soft gold tint would be the most common. Notice that in all cases the toning tends to be soft and/or subtle. On this coin the general golden toning supplies surface area wise the majority of the toning, and the toning has progressed to a stronger golden/amber color. Next, the blueish fuscia and teal colors are concentrated at the rim of the coin, as would be expected if the side of the coin was in contact with a sulfur source. In hand the rim crescent is quite noticeable... the area around 1923 has actually progressed all the way to gray in a crescent extending in from the rim as would be expected from prolonged contact. Anyhow, those are some thoughts that are rattling around in the empty space between my ears. wink.gif

I would like to add nice Pics Bob!

Bobby, I'd like to take credit for that image, but it wasn't me. More than likely it was imaged by Bruce. But I could be way off base. At any rate it is a first rate job of imaging, IMHO. laugh.gif

Bobby, I'd like to take credit for that image, but it wasn't me. More than likely it was imaged by Bruce. But I could be way off base. At any rate it is a first rate job of imaging, IMHO. laugh.gif

This set of images is not mine. I am out of town right now on a hotel computer. Laura D. is the one who took these images. I may later get a chance to image this coin. Sweet coin if you ask me and 100% NT!

This set of images is not mine. I am out of town right now on a hotel computer. Laura D. is the one who took these images. I may later get a chance to image this coin. Sweet coin if you ask me and 100% NT!

Well then nice pics Laura!! I know you pic'd some of his coins lately and thought it might be you Bob. thumbsup2.gif Bruce is out of town, So I know it wasn't him. Have fun Bruce!!! thumbsup2.gif