• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sacagawea $1 Failure - Finally Congress Realizes Why!

24 posts in this topic

House bill would add new look to Sacagawea dollar coin By JIM ABRAMS, The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House voted Tuesday to give a new look to the Sacagawea dollar in hopes of reviving flagging interest in the seven-year-old golden coin.

The legislation, approved by voice vote, would make annual changes to the reverse side of the coin to commemorate the achievements of other Native Americans and Indian tribes. The image of Sacagawea, the young Shoshone who assisted Lewis and Clark on their expedition to the Pacific Northwest 200 years ago, would remain on the heads side of the coin.

The Sacagawea dollar was first minted in 2000 to replace the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin. Like its predecessor, it has failed to catch on with most Americans.

The Sacagawea coin was originally intended for general circulation, but for the first five months of this year the U.S. Mint had produced only 7.5 million, all for collectors. In contrast, the Mint this year has produced 500 million of the new presidential $1 coins that came out in February.

Rep. Dale Kildee, D-Mich., sponsor of the legislation, said the static design of the Sacagawea coin is one reason it is not as popular as the presidential coins. The design of those coins changes every three months, with the first, depicting Washington, to be succeeded by presidents in the order of their service.

Full Article

I know the lack of changing reverse on the Sacagawea is the main reason why I don't use them. In fact, if I'm handed any, I'll refuse them and demand to get Presidential dollars from retail establishments. thumbsup2.gifforeheadslap.giftonofbricks.gif

It is redundant to have two types (actually 5 issues) of circulating dollar coins each year that do not circulate, except between collectors.

It is redundant to have two types (actually 5 issues) of circulating dollar coins each year that do not circulate, except between collectors.

That, and these commems are driving me crazy!

So far, we have:

Presidential Dollars

First Spouse Gold

Statehood quarters

and the Silver dollar commems, Little rock this year.

And they want to ADD ANOTHER??

So far, we have:

Presidential Dollars

First Spouse Gold

Statehood quarters

And COLLECTORS WILL BUY ANOTHER???

Yes!

So far, we have:

Presidential Dollars

First Spouse Gold

Statehood quarters

And COLLECTORS WILL BUY ANOTHER???

Yes!

Remember... Beaver dung!

some weird stuff.

i live in pocatello/chubbuck idaho about 2 miles from the shashone/bannock tribe here.my girlfriend is from the tribe and when i say that sac was shashone she denise it saying shes not. also the model of coin is from this tribe and they all think she shouldnt be on coin cause the is not of decendance.

i dont know why the shashone tribe here says sac was not of shashone tribe but i think i would be proud of sac for what she did smile.gif

Well now these will turn into FDC's, yearly proof sets, etc.. Then if they add them to the normal mint and proof sets, those sets will go up in price again. AGHHH Christo_pull_hair.gif

1 2 3 4 5 6 7(my mama told me to count to ten and breathe easy. 27_laughing.gif

Most, if not everyone, isn't using them becuase there is still a dollar bill. Until that goes a broadbase use of a dollar coin won't happen.

Of course, you'd think the *spoon* in Washington would have figured that out by now...well...maybe not. yeahok.gif

jom

I think having multiple designs for obscure denominations just confuses the average checkout person. The girl at the gas station wasn't even sure my Adams dollar was real. Frankly, I don't think she even knew who Adams was.

I can't wait until we have clerks saying, "Garfield?! Yeah, right, there was never a president named Garfield. I'm calling my manager. You must really think I'm stupid, huh?"

Answer: "Yes, actually."

I think having multiple designs for obscure denominations just confuses the average checkout person. The girl at the gas station wasn't even sure my Adams dollar was real. Frankly, I don't think she even knew who Adams was.

I can't wait until we have clerks saying, "Garfield?! Yeah, right, there was never a president named Garfield. I'm calling my manager. You must really think I'm stupid, huh?"

Answer: "Yes, actually."

I can't wait - in about 2 or 3 years when a dozen or so different coins have come out, I'll pay for a $20 item with 12 different presidents, 3 different sacagaweas, and 20 different state quarters 27_laughing.gif

i dont know why the shashone tribe here says sac was not of shashone tribe but i think i would be proud of sac for what she did
I wouldn't be surprised if most American Indians are not proud of what she did. A while back I looked up a few Louis & Clark Bicentennial celebrations to see if they issued any medals. The Indian tribes that run this Louis & Clark Bicentennial Commemoration site are more interested in educating Americans about the Indians than celebrating Louis & Clark because many of them view that expedition as the beginning of their demise. They do not think the bicentennial is worth "celebrating."

Mainstream America celebrates a lot of things that the American Indians do not find pleasant to remember. This year we are celebrating the establishment of Jamestown in 1607. Although the Indians initially welcomed the colony, in 1622, the Indians got fed up with the newcomers and put up a fight killing 350 of 1600 settlers, however it was already too late for them. The May 7 issue of TIME has an interesting map of Chesapeake Bay showing Indian and European settlements in 1607 and in 1675. Looks like the maps of the Wraith taking over the Pegasus galaxy wink.gif

Anyway, I'm just saying I can see how some Indians may not be happy with someone they may view as an accomplice to their demise, even if it was inevitable.

I think it's all a vast right-wing conspiracy to confuse tax payers into thinking we have more money than we do....lol

I laughed at the post of the gas attendant who questioned the new dollar coins. I've got mine trained now, and I'm working on the dunkin donuts lady, and the mcdonald's crew. I'll make collectors out of them yet.

I still hate all these little “gold” coins. It’s my personal belief that the SBAs completely and forever ruined the notion of a small dollar coin. Those coins make my dink soft.

Anyone else confused as to the 7.5 million vs. 500 million figure? I thought the law stated that 1/3 of all dollar coins minted per year now had to be the Sacagaweas?

Maybe they're going to mint a whole slew of Sacagaweas in the last half of the year?

And is it 1/3 of all the dollars minted must be Sacagaweas, or is it that they must mint a quantity of Sacagaweas equal to 1/3 of the total Presidential dollars minted, making 1/4 of all dollars Sacagaweas? I could have sworn I saw it described as the latter, with 1/4 of the total being Sacagaweas.

Maybe they're going to mint a whole slew of Sacagaweas in the last half of the year?

And is it 1/3 of all the dollars minted must be Sacagaweas, or is it that they must mint a quantity of Sacagaweas equal to 1/3 of the total Presidential dollars minted, making 1/4 of all dollars Sacagaweas? I could have sworn I saw it described as the latter, with 1/4 of the total being Sacagaweas.

Either way, they're WAY behind.

The law says that one third of the total number of dollars issued must be Sac dolars

119 STAT. 2666 PUBLIC LAW 109–145—DEC. 22, 2005

‘‘(ii) CIRCULATION QUANTITY.—Beginning January

1, 2007, and ending upon the termination of the program

under paragraph (8), the Secretary annually shall

mint and issue such ‘Sacagawea-design’ $1 coins for

circulation in quantities of no less than 1/3 of the total

$1 coins minted and issued under this subsection. ’’.

for those of you that get coinage magazine there is a great read by ed reiter in his column 'my two cents worth' in the july 2007 issue. titled 'the presidents' ladies'. he talks about the spouse coins and the sacs and how our congress impacts our coinage. it was very interesting, well worth reading imho.

steve

893scratchchin-thumb.gif