• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some coins from a 1958 Mint Set.

14 posts in this topic

I bought these raw at the Santa Clara show. The unshown sides have a nice lustrous steel gray look to them. The other coins from the mint set were nice, but not up to the standards of these.

The dime is not worth slabbing, but 'taint too shabby. I'd grade it 65ish, maybe 66 on a good day. Unquestionably FT in hand. As you can see, NGC had a little problem with quality control the day the Frankies were slabbed. However, they have said they would reslab them correctly (e.g. reverse rotated 180 degrees) for no cost. The Franklins are exceptionally toned even for '58-D's. I can't quite understand why the obverse got starred and the reverse didn't, although the toning is a bit more developed on the obverse. The pictures were by LucyBop, and I think she did an excellent job.

ngch58.jpg

58ros-2Sm.jpg

ngcms66-4Sm.jpg

ngcms65-3Sm.jpg

Great toning on those Frankies, Sy. That reverse looks incredible. thumbsup2.gif How close to FBL is it? It seems to have a fairly strong strike.

Thanks for the nice comments folks!

Great toning on those Frankies, Sy. That reverse looks incredible. thumbsup2.gif How close to FBL is it? It seems to have a fairly strong strike.

One thing that the image of the reverse does not show is that the area to the right of the clapper and above the OLLA of DOLLAR is the same reddish color that is in front of Ben's nose. The reverse's lines technically are FBL, however they have enough slashes from hits going through them that the coin is not considered FBL. Basically, if full bell lines get chopped up enough they are no longer considered FBL.

The 1958 and 1957 US Mint Sets were perhaps the best of the era (1947-1958) for producing wonderfully toned coinage and your three pieces imaged are classic examples of the colors that one might hope to obtain. The obverse toned Franklin was likley starred simply because it had obverse toning rather than reverse toning. That Roosevelt dime is also quite nice.