• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will be the quarter design after 2008?

18 posts in this topic

It's supposed to go back to the previous Washington design.

Psh...

We'll end up with some kind of reverse proof-like, lettered edge, high relief, aluminum quarter.

Hey, it could happen.

If they just make the coins out of PVC-free plastic to start with, it would save me a lot of trouble. At least then, I won't need the flip that costs more than the modern coin it holds.

But seriously has there been talk of re-designed or enhanced reverse for the quarter. Did congress insist on changing the nickel design or was that the mint?

Has the mint decided what the design of the quarter dollar after the state quarter program is.

i heard that paris hilton will be on the quarter in 2008. just kidding, they will probably go back to the old design. come to think of it it's way over due for a complete re-do, what say you?

popcorn.gif

I could go for a new quarter. The Washington design had a good run but something new could be good. I just hope they aren’t that cheesy gold colored alloy that the current dollars are.

Considering we are only 18 months away from the end of the state quarters and they haven't even begun to discuss any possible alternate design, it is almost a certainty that they will go back to the old design.

But seriously has there been talk of re-designed or enhanced reverse for the quarter. Did congress insist on changing the nickel design or was that the mint?

You can thank the Senate delegation from good ol' Virginia. They protested profusely when it was said the Mint was going to re-do the nickel after the Westward Journey series ended. And since no one cares about coins except special interests - like states that are represented in some way on coins now - they were able to get a law passed that required the obverse remain Jefferson and required the reverse remain Monticello. It was hoped that they would do something different with Monticello, but they didn't.

After all, I know that EVERY TIME I look at a nickel and see Jefferson and Monticello, I get this aching desire to go visit Virginia. Just like every time I see the cent I want to go visit Illinois, and every time I see the Sacagawea dollar I want to go visit South (or was it North) Dakota.

Politicians need to get a grip. insane.gif

I read someplace that the following should be getting one ? but needs congress approval

1)Washington DC 2) Puerto Rico 3) US Virgin Islands 4) Guam 5) American Samoa

then it should go back to the normal design - eagle reverse

It's supposed to go back to the previous Washington design.

Or something equally bad.

jom

I read someplace that the following should be getting one ? but needs congress approval

1)Washington DC 2) Puerto Rico 3) US Virgin Islands 4) Guam 5) American Samoa

then it should go back to the normal design - eagle reverse

H.R. 392, District of Columbia and United States Territories Circulating Quarter Dollar Program Act, is the law to extend the 50 State Quarter program to include the five mentioned above and the Northern Mariana Islands was passed by the House of Representatives on 1/23/07 and referred to the Senate on 1/24/07. The bill is currently awaiting hearing in the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs, Christoper Dodd (D-CT) is the chairman and Richard Shelby (R-AL) is the ranking member.

As for the design at the end of the program, Public Law 105-124, the law that created the 50 State Quarter program, does not specify what the design will be but 31 U.S.C §5112(d)(1) states "The design on the reverse side of the dollar, half dollar, and quarter dollar is an eagle." The law does not state who will be on the obverse.

Based on this, people are assuming that the quarter will go back to the original design. But since the Mint does not do anything without it being legislated, it is difficult to speculate on what they will do.

Scott hi.gif

And like I said it's only 18 months til the end of he state quarters. The mint claims that it takes over a year to develop a new design. (They have said in the past that it takes 30 months but I think that is an exaggeration.) Still they have normally used more than a year so if the don't start talking and developing a new design VERY soon, I would say they will default back to the old design.

Scott, that's quite an accurate post. Are you a lawyer by trade? I'd like to see the quarter change in a way like the nickel. A new picture of washington, I like the landsdowne portrait of washington standing up. I would think it would be a challenge to make it look good on a quarter, but I think something challenging the mint would be a good change.

i see some good oldies designs coming back

walking liberty=bullion

buffalo=gold bullion

now i think they should bring back the standing liberty!

i think that the obv should be the standing liberty and the rev should be the rev of the bust or flowing hair smile.gif i like those eagle designs smile.gif

not likely but it sure would be a wonderfull coin!