• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your first coin?

12 posts in this topic

My dad bought me this coin when I was about ten. I wasn’t even a coin collector at the time – I was fond of this coin because I was an Indian (Native American) enthusiast. He would go to the coin store to buy gold Canadian Maple Leafs and he once bought me this coin. It now resides in my dansco 7070.

IHC.jpg

The coin that started me out as a collector was a T1 SLQ. I found it while playing in a city park at age 8. OH BABY! Naked BOOBS!

The first coin I bought was an 1854 large cent in F (according to grading at the time--it would be a strong VF today). The local dealer refused to sell any coins to me for several months until I could prove to him that I knew why I wanted that coin instead of another. In other words, he actually made me LEARN something about the hobby I wanted to start before spending any money!!! What a concept!

1937-D Buffalo 5c 3-Legged in Choice VF. Bought it at an auction without knowing much anything about coins. I was hooked.

That damn coin has cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars over the past 20+ years. wink.gif

The coin that started me out as a collector was a T1 SLQ. I found it while playing in a city park at age 8. OH BABY! Naked BOOBS!

The first coin I bought was an 1854 large cent in F (according to grading at the time--it would be a strong VF today). The local dealer refused to sell any coins to me for several months until I could prove to him that I knew why I wanted that coin instead of another. In other words, he actually made me LEARN something about the hobby I wanted to start before spending any money!!! What a concept!

lol my mentor was the same way i started collecting about 5 years ago (i am 15) and when i first went in i had no idea what i was doing and just randomly tried to buy something but he sat me down and explained things to me since then i cant go into his shop without sitting there for atleast two hours

Actually, I had two. A common Ike Dollar and Kennedy Half. Those were my first coins. My first 'real' coin wasn't until a few years later when I bought an 1881 Morgan Dollar

I posted this a while back, but this is mine. Puchased around 1978 give or take a year. I was 9 or 10 at the time, I think, but not completely sure.

1914full.jpg

1914O.jpg

1914R.jpg

I had an allowance of $3 a week.

I have posted this before, but...

On my first birthday, my Grandpa gave me a 1986 Statue of Liberty Proof Silver Dollar, and I grew up looking at that coin and loving it. My love of collecting just grew from there (with a little more help from grandpa, of course.) I really got into it when he gave me a bunch of his old Whitman folders, with a few coins in each.

I can't even remember my forst coin. I collected circulated coins about 20 something years ago and lost all those. So the first coin of my recollecting I think was a friend of mine gave me an uncirculated 2003 Kennedy.

I collected when I was a kid but I don't remember my first coin. I remember buying an 1856 Quarter at a local shop once. My grandma also gave me a roll of Ike Dollars (1971 I think) she had got from Vegas. My mom also bought me a proof 1971-S Ike in those black plastic cases for my tenth birthday.

In my "modered" era (1992) I remember buying a group of coins from some guy I had met thru a newspaper ad. 27_laughing.gif What a maroon!....I was just a newbie and looking back on it I probably didn't get taken all that bad. It was a 38-D Nic, 36-S dime and a couple of half eagles all slabed by PCGS I think. I no longer own any of those but I had that 36-S dime for some time. A few days before I had bought a proof 76-S from a local shop so I'm not entire sure what was "first" though.

As to "real" coins, my first is pretty definate. About a year later at the fall Long Beach show in 1993 I bought a 1919-S Merc dime. It was by far the most I had a paid for a coin up to that point and that was the day I graduated to the real world of coins.

I still own the coin:

10c-19s_small.jpg

jom