• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deceptive description by ME? :) ... What say U !

27 posts in this topic

My State Quarter Catch Up Set

These sell very well. I had one buyer say it was a deceptive description can you explain to me why ... I am taking comments and then we can discuss his Reasoning.

He still left me positive with a negative conotation so I rebutted with a response.

What say U

After the new feedback rating system with 18 sales tabulated he made me a 17 with the description deduction ... I really dont care about that new system per se but 18 of 18 would have been a nice start ..

PS - The stated auction is not the Complainer but my MOST recent sale of these

sets for an example

confused-smiley-013.gif

mrb

I can see where from the pics a buyer who didn't bother to read the decription (ie, MOST e-bayers) might think you were selling rolls not singles.

I could see his point, you do show the rolls, so someone who was easily confused and thought that people go on eBay to give away their money might think that the auction was for a set of 5 rolls for $5.95. I think if you just changed the photo to show the representative coins you'd be better off, after all, what is that photo showing anyway? Yes, to advanced collectors it shows you broke them out of a BU roll, but to the novice (read most of those looking for state quarters on eBay) it would be much more helpful to see a picture of the coins you are actually bidding on.

I could see his point, you do show the rolls, so someone who was easily confused and thought that people go on eBay to give away their money might think that the auction was for a set of 5 rolls for $5.95. I think if you just changed the photo to show the representative coins you'd be better off, after all, what is that photo showing anyway? Yes, to advanced collectors it shows you broke them out of a BU roll, but to the novice (read most of those looking for state quarters on eBay) it would be much more helpful to see a picture of the coins you are actually bidding on.

I ONLY have to say ONE thing to this comment which is my TITLE and my DESCRIPTION which I will quote to save some clicking ...

>>>>>

QUARTER CATCH UP SET *CO-ND-SD-MT-WA * P&D Set GEMS*

You are bidding on a set of 10 Quarters consisting of the P&D Mintages of the State Quarters from COLORADO, NORTH DAKOTA,SOUTH DAKOTA,MONTANA and the freshly released WASHINGTON State Quarter - Freshly removed from US MINT Orange and Black Rolls and inserted into archival safe 2x2' with cotton gloves.

These are the Last 5 Quarter sets in the series from 2006/7 for those that have fallen behind on your collections.

Good Luck

>>>>>

So you are saying you understand his thinking that I WAS SELLING not 5 rolls but in essence 10 ROLLS of Quarters as I stated P&D state quarters.... come on lets read whats for sale here ...

I really don't have much pity for people who fail to read an item description.

That said, simply switching your image might be a good idea, if only to show what you're selling, rather than the package it came out of.

Just a little friendly advice: your font is a little hard to read (for me, at least) wink.gif

My State Quarter Catch Up Set

These sell very well. I had one buyer say it was a deceptive description can you explain to me why ... I am taking comments and then we can discuss his Reasoning.

He still left me positive with a negative conotation so I rebutted with a response.

What say U

After the new feedback rating system with 18 sales tabulated he made me a 17 with the description deduction ... I really dont care about that new system per se but 18 of 18 would have been a nice start ..

PS - The stated auction is not the Complainer but my MOST recent sale of these

sets for an example

confused-smiley-013.gif

mrb

i really dont think you were deceptive however i could see maybe a novice collector thinking that they are getting 10 rolls. but it's there fault for not reading the description properly

Michal, you drinking that yankee beer again? 27_laughing.gif

You talkin to me ... You talkin to me ????

First off its MICHAEL

Secondly it was DARK and STORMEY's

Other than the pic, the description was to the point. I would have figured out you put the two rolls just to show the Mint marks, it's not like you had a whole box of a rolls, just to confuse, like many a seller. thumbsup2.gif

I clicked the link and examined the auction. Were I to bid on such an auction, I would know that I was bidding on ten coins taken from rolls like the ones pictured and housed in 2x2s. I don't see anything remotely deceptive about that.

I suppose you could change the picture to one of ten quarters in 2x2s, but I don't see how that could be any more helpful than the one you've got. Of course, if you made that change, buyers would be wanting to know if those are the exact coins that the winner would receive. I'd leave the auction exactly the way it is.

I have seen other auctions described this way also. For someone that may skim thru an auction description, this may seem deceptive. For someone who reads what they are bidding on, this description is not deseptive.

I believe the picture of the rolls is misleading because you are not offering rolls. The photos in a listing are every bit as important as the description. In fact many coins are sold with almost no description beyond a statement to the effect "here is the photo you decide".

I agree you make things clear in the description, but the photos should match your description. I believe most people (including me) expect the photos and description to complement each other - not contradict each other. Therefore, your listing could be considered confusing because the pictures do not match the write-up.

Read though this thread http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=589578&highlight_key=y for a blatantly misleading use of a photo - the box shown is likely not the box your will receive ( they have others).

So I guess I would have to vote that the ding was deserved.

Maybe I'm stupid, or I don't read well, but I thought I would be bidding on the 2 rolls confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe the picture of the rolls is misleading because you are not offering rolls. The photos in a listing are every bit as important as the description. In fact many coins are sold with almost no description beyond a statement to the effect "here is the photo you decide".

I agree you make things clear in the description, but the photos should match your description. I believe most people (including me) expect the photos and description to complement each other - not contradict each other. Therefore, your listing could be considered confusing because the pictures do not match the write-up.

Read though this thread http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=589578&highlight_key=y for a blatantly misleading use of a photo - the box shown is likely not the box your will receive ( they have others).

So I guess I would have to vote that the ding was deserved.

Maybe I'm stupid, or I don't read well, but I thought I would be bidding on the 2 rolls confused-smiley-013.gif

Or both? confused.gif

wink.gif

I had no words to say

smirk.gif

Hi, jgrinz

Well, I had no problem with your description for your auction. Like most of the fellow forum members I think a change of the photo or adding the coins the winning bidder will receive first them P and D empty coin holders to show the potential auction bidders where the coins were taken from for them.

Over the last 9 years on eBay I have found that making the description of the auction item, in this case coins, as clear as possible.

Even then there will be someone who just reads it wrong. confused-smiley-013.gif

AAJ

It's not ...misleading. It's open to ...confusion.

eBay is not where you want ...any... confusion.

Right this second, there are 2,670,031 confused eBay viewers. Online.

I would opt for less confusion.

Just to make life easier.

grin.gif

You just can't please some people. I once received a neutral from a brand new eBayer because they thought they had bought an actual mint state 1793 Large Cent for $10 even though the title and description stated plain as day it was a Gallery Mint Musuem REPLICA. You know, like there is actually an existing specimen that would grade that high and have that color. (I issued them a refund.)

I am more interested in the CONTENT of the auction ... Would be nice to have been perfect on the start up of this feedback system ,,,''

'

but Frankly Scarlet .. I dont give A Dam !

Just MORE curious on the content and what my friends here thought ...

Just a follow up - The one person who had a problem with my description thought he was buying the two rolls pictured - Which doesn't make ANY sence as the picture clearly shows they are sealed MINT rolls - so how could there be 5 different State Quarters in them ...

I just reviewed my feedback and appearently he DID NOT diminish my Feedback for description as I am 5.0 of 5.0 so he must have understood my explaination and left the proper feedback ...

Thanks for all the comments ... thumbsup2.gif

I ONLY have to say ONE thing to this comment which is my TITLE and my DESCRIPTION which I will quote to save some clicking ...

>>>>>

QUARTER CATCH UP SET *CO-ND-SD-MT-WA * P&D Set GEMS*

You are bidding on a set of 10 Quarters consisting of the P&D Mintages of the State Quarters from COLORADO, NORTH DAKOTA,SOUTH DAKOTA,MONTANA and the freshly released WASHINGTON State Quarter - Freshly removed from US MINT Orange and Black Rolls and inserted into archival safe 2x2' with cotton gloves.

These are the Last 5 Quarter sets in the series from 2006/7 for those that have fallen behind on your collections.

Good Luck

>>>>>

So you are saying you understand his thinking that I WAS SELLING not 5 rolls but in essence 10 ROLLS of Quarters as I stated P&D state quarters.... come on lets read whats for sale here ...

If you want someone to READ what is for sale, perhaps they would like you to SHOW whats for sale. I dont think your description is misleading, but one could argue that the picture is.

Just a follow up - The one person who had a problem with my description thought he was buying the two rolls pictured - Which doesn't make ANY sence as the picture clearly shows they are sealed MINT rolls - so how could there be 5 different State Quarters in them ...

I just reviewed my feedback and appearently he DID NOT diminish my Feedback for description as I am 5.0 of 5.0 so he must have understood my explaination and left the proper feedback ...

Thanks for all the comments ... thumbsup2.gif

With this logic, it doesnt make any sense to show something that the bidder isnt getting. Again, I dont think your description is misleading but I would'nt completely exclude you as the cause of confusion.