• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some people can't be pleased.....Feedback issue.....

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

This newer feedback ranking system is so bogus. I'm talking about the advanced thing that 5-star rates your description accuracy, communication, shipping time and shipping rates.

I send an invoice within a half-hour of an auctions end. When you pay me, I send an wmail to thank you and let you know when your item will ship. This shipment date is ALWAYS the next morning. I almost always lose money on the shipping charges. I low-ball because I don't like to be gouged on shipping rates. I dislike the word, or the practiice of charging 'handling', as believe the practice of running your business is just that, your business. I shouldn't have to pay you to handle your own product, absurd.

Well, anyway, the bottom line......My shipping couldn't be any cheaper, that is, without losing more money, my rating-4.5/5.0.....Communication can't be any clearer without me spamming my customer, my rating-4.7/5.0......and my shipping time can't be any faster than next morning, my rating-4.7/5.0.....Either this system is a joke, or people can't possibly be pleased.

Paul

Hello all,

This newer feedback ranking system is so bogus. I'm talking about the advanced thing that 5-star rates your description accuracy, communication, shipping time and shipping rates.

I send an invoice within a half-hour of an auctions end. When you pay me, I send an wmail to thank you and let you know when your item will ship. This shipment date is ALWAYS the next morning. I almost always lose money on the shipping charges. I low-ball because I don't like to be gouged on shipping rates. I dislike the word, or the practiice of charging 'handling', as believe the practice of running your business is just that, your business. I shouldn't have to pay you to handle your own product, absurd.

Well, anyway, the bottom line......My shipping couldn't be any cheaper, that is, without losing more money, my rating-4.5/5.0.....Communication can't be any clearer without me spamming my customer, my rating-4.7/5.0......and my shipping time can't be any faster than next morning, my rating-4.7/5.0.....Either this system is a joke, or people can't possibly be pleased.

Paul

There are alot of people out there that do not believe in perfection!

I have entered data from thousands of medical and recreation surveys into databases (it's a little sideline I do to pick up a few bucks). I think I can safely say I'm something of an expert on how people respond to surveys.

My experience has been that when people are asked to rate something on a scale of 1 to 5, some will simply circle all the 5s without reading the question, some will go for all 3s, a few will go for all 1s, thinking it means good instead of bad, some absolutely refuse to ever give a 5, and a moderate percentage will actually read the questions and give thought-out answers.

I knew from the beginning that this new eBay thing was going to be a problem, even for the good sellers. It's hard enough to just get positives when the only options are neg, neutral, and positive. Most sellers, I think, would have lower scores without the implied threat of retaliatory negs for neutrals/negs. Since this new system is anonymous on top of already being a useless survey-type assessment of the seller, I predict that nobody is going to have a perfect 'advanced' feedback record. The big sellers will complain and the new system will eventually disappear (hopefully).

Beav,

As I'm a low volume buyer (<100) on eBay, I don't have the relationships with sellers as some of you may have so I rely a lot on feedback and length of time on ebay.

A "perfect" score makes me check into the feedback/return policies etc, I doubt perfect scores. To me a 99% or a 4.7/5 is an experienced seller who has gone out of his way to do the right thing.

A better way to improve the eBay feedback system MIGHT be to increase the length of the comments you can leave.

On the current system, I think a lot of coin sellers deserve ratings below a 5 for a proper description. Many or most descriptions are limited to nonexistant and leaves a bidder guessing on the coin. You can always ask the seller a question which I do regularly but more information, at least on coins that are worth a decent anount of money (subjective I know) would be helpful.

My main disatisfier is with coins that have obviously been mishandled and are not eligible for grading. How many sellers will tell you that the coin has been cleaned or is corroded? Almost none in my experience.

Partly this may be due to the large number of sales for some sellers. I'm not going to name any names, but there are some sellers who have almost perfect ratings with large feedback numbers who consistently offer absolutely awful coins. Many of them are also absurdly overpriced.

Hello all,

Paul

Paul, you sound as if you know you're doing a great job and your scores are high enough so as not to discourage anyone from dealing with you. Accordingly, it's a waste of your time to let this issue bother you. So I ask you, are you going to let the silliness of the system defeat you or are you going to ignore it? wink.gif

So I ask you, are you going to let the silliness of the system defeat you or are you going to ignore it? wink.gif

You're right, of course. Consider this issue ignored.

Thank you for your input folks.

Paul