• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a fool-proof way to tell if a proof/mint set has been opened?

36 posts in this topic

Short of throwing them on the floor and listening carefully how could you tell?

Simple, easy method. Take the set out of the box and lay a single layer of tissue paper paper over the set. (Kleenex or toilet paper. Paper towel is too thick.) Copper-nickel clad coins will appear as gray circles. Silver coins will appear as white circles. If you wish, use another set with known clad proofs as a control. Once you see it you will be shocked at the difference in the color.

That's a pretty neat trick there Condor. I just tried that with my 99 proof sets and tada, the silver set was whiter than the clad! Thanks!

Simple, easy method. Take the set out of the box and lay a single layer of tissue paper paper over the set. (Kleenex or toilet paper. Paper towel is too thick.) Copper-nickel clad coins will appear as gray circles. Silver coins will appear as white circles. If you wish, use another set with known clad proofs as a control. Once you see it you will be shocked at the difference in the color.

Wow ,simple as going to the "Throne" Thanks Condor 27_laughing.gifbumpit.gif

That's a pretty neat trick there Condor. I just tried that with my 99 proof sets and tada, the silver set was whiter than the clad! Thanks!

now you gotta hope they don't 'milk spot' after the experiment.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now for the question, who can explain why it works? (I already know. And I've even explained it before but it might not have been on this forum.)