• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach Show Report

21 posts in this topic

It sucked.
Greg, I agree completely - your Long Breach show report "sucked". Not to mention, it was terribly verbose. bumpit.gif

It's a coin show. It really can't be that bad, can it?

Here are a couple of quantifiying questions; say if these activities are more or less preferable Long Beach:

Finding a needle in a haystack

Finding hay in a needlestack

Trying to catch a fish with an anchor

Trying to eat a really big pile of arsenic

Forced to make your next thousand posts in "Comics General"

Locking TomB and Hoot in the same room with some silverware and not being able to watch

It's not always about the money... confused-smiley-013.gif

I got a cheap flight so I went there just on Saturday to drop off my coins with NGC, about 40 of them. I also picked up the lot a won in the Thursday night world coin auction, a 1938 South Africa NGC PR-64 2 1/2 Shillings (mintage is 44 pieces).

As for the bourse, I cannot say whether it was good or bad because none of these shows seem to carry much of what I collect. I did find a few items that I bought but it would be nice if the selection was a little better. But I've only been able to go on the weekends in the past and it seems like the best material (even that not sold dealer to dealer) is already gone. I'm going to try to make it during the week next time. One day should still be enough.

Is this poor nature of this show a local issue or reflective of the current market for coins?

This show has been going down for years now.

That was funny 27_laughing.gif but can you expand at all… Not many transactions, not many good coins, not many folks showed up… 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OK, I can give you more detail. The highlight of the show was me having lunch with Jom. Does that tell you how bad the show was! devil.gif

The cases were filled with garbage. Usually there are a few gems mixed along with generic stuff. This time I saw a lot of blah stuff that should trade at Bluesheet. I did see more raw stuff than usual, but they were collector coins.

Lot of chatter about the auctions not doing too well. Consignors (dealers) were complaining about the prices realized. A lot of slop was in the auctions so that's probably why prices realized were soft.

Dealers seemed willing to deal - at least more willing than in the past. The aisles were fairly empty. Usually on Saturday at the opening there is a line to buy badges. This time there was NO LINE WHATSOEVER.

Most dealers were reporting a so-so to slow show. OK wholesale, but poor retail. Considering this is an extremely retail unfriendly show, this is not a surprise. A person attending the show needs to spend $8 for parking and $6 for admission. If they dare eat lunch inside the show they're in for a $10-$15 disappointment. For a smaller collector looking to spend a couple hundred at the show, this is a large chunk of money. They might as well order a coin over the internet.

OK, I can give you more detail. The highlight of the show was me having lunch with Jom. Does that tell you how bad the show was! devil.gif

Sweet Jesus, that's a bad show. foreheadslap.gif

Greg, thanks for the more detailed report. Either this was a bad year or this show is on the decline as Bruce said.

What I am taking from the various coin market reports is that attractive, high quality coins are moving well and drawing premiums, IF they even hit the market. Average or below coinage is not moving quickly, or might require discounting by the dealer to sell.

Would this be a fair assessment?

Of course some segments, such as CBH's seem to have increased rapidly over the past 6-12 months regardless of quality. This goes back to the question Mark Feld raised recently.

Sweet Jesus, that's a bad show. foreheadslap.gif

Not that bad...you could have been there. poke2.gif

Plus, the last I saw Greg he was raping that foreign coin dealer of his wares so he can sell it on eBay at a huge premiums. I mean, how bad can that be?

jom