• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Dansco Additions – Opinion on coins and images welcome

23 posts in this topic

Type 1 Buffalo (My troubles imaging Nickels continue shakehead.gif)

TY1Buffalo.jpg

Three Cent Nickel

18683Cent.jpg

1962 Franklin Half. This one was freed from a PCGS MS64 holder. Thick skin for such a recent coin.

1962Franklin.jpg

2006 SAE. I bought this coin from jtyka. Thanks again thumbsup2.gif

2006SAE.jpg

1878S Trade dollar. I freed this one from an NGC AU55 holder. Tom was kind enough to approve of it before I purchased it. Thanks Tom thumbsup2.gif. Hope you still like it with the new images.

1878STrade.jpg

I’ll just throw this one in for good measure. This is my father’s day present to my dad

Dad1883o.jpg

Like the coins, all of them. However, the photographs seem to have white balance problems...Mike

The images are consistent with Winston since he, too, seems to have balance problems. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gifsmile.gif

I was wondering about the Franklin as well, was it really in a 64 holder?

Nice coins Winston, also watched the DVD today on toning, great and thank you. Now perhaps I can contribute more on the NT/AT threads.

Rey

Winstonware, I really like that 78-S Trade Dollar...it has everything I look for in a coin, be proud of that one!

The rest of your 7070 entries are also nice.

I cannot comment on your imaging skills since I cannot perform very well in this arena myself.

Like the coins, all of them. However, the photographs seem to have white balance problems...Mike

The images are consistent with Winston since he, too, seems to have balance problems. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gifsmile.gif

Tom, you’ve been quiet for months and the only wisdom you share with us here is something that everyone already knew confused-smiley-013.giftongue.gif

Mike, thanks. A white balance check is a good idea thumbsup2.gif

Glad you enjoyed the toning DVD Rey thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the other comments guys...

Nice additions Winston. The Franklin threw me off also. I have to agree with others, that trade dollar is very nice. I also think your dad will enjoy that Morgan very much!! thumbsup2.gif

Yeah the Franklin is a bit unusual. I like it because I value original surfaces, however the coin didn’t seem to get much attention. I was the only one who bid on it. Franklin

Great price on that Winston. With as much fraud on ebay lately, some may have thought a little trick photography not understanding the thick patina. I'd have been one of them!!

I don't know that I have been quiet for months, though I have posted less for at least a few weeks. The Franklin half does not strike me as that oddly toned for an MS piece. It simply appears to have been stored somewhere conducive to toning and acquired a thick layer of oxidation. I like the Trade dollar. thumbsup2.gif

great additions to your dansco, Winston

I absolutely love the Morgan-I am sure your father will treasure that gift. Obviously, the Trade $ is beautiful. I am just not an admirer of Ben's coin. I have owned quite a few but never a favorite. Great luck on the buy though.

great additions Winston. The Frankie, I think, makes some people see a lower grade, because of how it was photographed. Yes, I think adjusting the white balance and not using a pink background will help, but also, lighting is everything.

surely as a 64, there is luster bursting through that mint toning that can be captured and the detail brought out better with the angle of the lighting.

That Trade Dollar is fantastic! Great look. The 3CN looks great for it's grade. Out of curiosity, how come you didn't go for an AU/BU? They're relatively inexpensive (especially when compared with that Trade Dollar).

That Trade Dollar is fantastic! Great look. The 3CN looks great for it's grade. Out of curiosity, how come you didn't go for an AU/BU? They're relatively inexpensive (especially when compared with that Trade Dollar).

Actually it’s the Trade dollar that’s a bit higher grade for my type set. I’ve been trying to stay in the VF/XF range and the 3 cent Nickel fit that criteria as well as having an original look. I couldn’t find a Trade dollar that I liked in the VF/XF range. The one I purchased sold a little low for original coin, so I just had to buy it.

not using a pink background

Those were the seller's picks you knucklehead sumo.giftongue.gif

Nice looking coins Winston! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Regarding the Frankie, that would be quite normal toning for a lot of mint set years... however 1962 mintsets were in cellophane flatpacks, so they didn't aquire that dark gray toning that a lot of the earlier mint set Frankies picked up. Clearly it was stored in some sort of paper product.