• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions please

15 posts in this topic

I'm wanting a nice Oregon Trail (date makes no difference to me) and everything being equal, including the images and grade, which coin would you prefer for the price?

This one or this one ?

I know you can't tell until you have the coin in hand, but the price difference has me wondering.

Ray

Ray, I think you will have to decide for yourself. I will just tell you Numismedia Wholesale for this coin is $264.00 and most of the time you can find a nice one for less than this wholesale price.

The second one sold very cheaply (I'd pay more than it went for, even on a sight-unseen basis) and looks OK, though somewhat subdued. The first one looks more lustrous and shows a number of minor contact marks. It sold for what I believe to be a fair price. Somewhere in the back of my mind I hear a little voice telling me that I have read and/or witnessed negative things about the seller.

The first coin appears to have a bit more luster (through well done imaging) and in the second auction coin, the images may not be doing the holdered coin justice. Even the NGC holder seems to be pretty scratched up...it is obvious that the first auction is the way to go, then you know for sure what your getting into.

Do not only look at the coin and the catalog prices, look at the sellers feedback, return privleges, shipping, etc. compare, compare, compare

Looks to me like you are backing into a future transaction with some good information at hand.

This is the way to go...pay attention, ask questions, learn and good luck!

Somewhere in the back of my mind I hear a little voice telling me that I have read and/or witnessed negative things about the seller.

Given their scant feedback of 12 and time of eBay of less than a month, I bet you're thinking of another seller with a very close name that used to sell AT coins and not accept returns. I'm pretty sure I know exactly who you are thinking of, but can't remember their exact ID.

The second one sold very cheaply (I'd pay more than it went for, even on a sight-unseen basis) and looks OK, though somewhat subdued. The first one looks more lustrous and shows a number of minor contact marks. It sold for what I believe to be a fair price. Somewhere in the back of my mind I hear a little voice telling me that I have read and/or witnessed negative things about the seller.

Mark,

The images are what throw me off, one seems to bright and the other seems a little subdued.

Let's just say you will get either coin for the price, I see more marks on the brighter more expensive coin.

I wish there was some kinda Ebay imager that showed all coins with the same format.

screwy.gif

Ray

Well I missed this post. All the bids ended already. I did like the first one tho'.

How can you tell by the imaging???

Different lighting and camera, and the plastic on the older holder is scratched to heck...this is my dilema.

I guess I have to start finding some coin shows, but it's not like the olden days.

poke2.gif

Ray

Somewhere in the back of my mind I hear a little voice telling me that I have read and/or witnessed negative things about the seller.

Given their scant feedback of 12 and time of eBay of less than a month, I bet you're thinking of another seller with a very close name that used to sell AT coins and not accept returns. I'm pretty sure I know exactly who you are thinking of, but can't remember their exact ID.

Greg, based upon the very limited feedback, you must be right - thanks for catching that. There is also a "greatsoutherncoins" (as opposed to "greatsoutherncoin") with lots of feedback, but the score seems too high to be the bad seller I was thinking of.

Mark,

The images are what throw me off, one seems to bright and the other seems a little subdued.

Let's just say you will get either coin for the price, I see more marks on the brighter more expensive coin.

I wish there was some kinda Ebay imager that showed all coins with the same format.

screwy.gif

Ray

Ray, if at all possible, please avoid buying based only upon images. Even if there is a full return privilege it can be a royal pain and expense to conduct business that way.

Well I missed this post. All the bids ended already. I did like the first one tho'.

How can you tell by the imaging???

Different lighting and camera, and the plastic on the older holder is scratched to heck...this is my dilema.

I guess I have to start finding some coin shows, but it's not like the olden days.

poke2.gif

Ray

Well I did see some scuff on the holder itself so I took that away. From the image, I thought it looked good. Minor nics especially on the indian legs on the Obv which is a critical point for grading. I figure the golden tone may have been more lighting than coin. Low feedback maybe, but the coin looked nice to me. JMO

Mark, if i am not mistaken greatsoutherncoins has moved from Covington, La to San Antonio. I get a e-mail flyer from them ever so often. thumbsup2.gif

Mark, if i am not mistaken greatsoutherncoins has moved from Covington, La to San Antonio. I get a e-mail flyer from them ever so often. thumbsup2.gif

I believe your right, Katrina took them out...I used to take loooong looks at thier offerings and they did mention on their website after the storm that they would be back in business somewhere.

They were very reliable then and I'm sure they will be now.

Good call.

Based only upon the very limited data of the single sets of disparate images, I much prefer the second coin, which sold for significantly less, than the first coin. There is no doubt in my mind about it based upon the images.

I agree with Tom. #2 is the one I would have purchased, not only because it sold for less, but it appears to be a superior coin.

From the photos provided,I truly liked the #1 coin the best mainly due to the lack of nicks the #2 coin had. The color could be photo lighting(which looked good) for #1 but what stopped me dead in my tracks on #1 was the two brown spots at 9 o'clock on the obverse. Spots scare the heck out of me. Lost money every time because of these and other discolorations. So besides the price #2 would have been my pick.