• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another grade this Capped Bust Half...........**UPDATED**

20 posts in this topic

I believe NGC would grade this coin at least AU50 and probably AU55. I do not think it should be BB'd but who knows for sure. They are sometimes too tough on the oldies. Nice coin, Nice condition.

I am not sure of the grade I think high XF to low AU. Be careful with sending it to NGC as it might be BB'd.

I am not sure of the grade I think high XF to low AU. Be careful with sending it to NGC as it might be BB'd.

It was sent about 6 months ago.

JJ

It was BB for improper cleaning...........I really think the coin is market acceptable. It does not show any cleaning hairlines, it does have a couple hairlines as seen in the photo, but what 175 year old circulated coin doesn't and these hairlines about 10 total are more of the kind from opening a slide on an album. It's in my 7070 now, but I really would like to stay away from "problem coins" in my 7070, so I'm not sure what I will do with it.

I’d take my losses and sell it. You can find later date CBHs like this one problem free. They absolutely exist. It’s more difficult to find the pre-1815 original problem-free CBH but this can also be done. It just requires a little more patience.

I'd have to see the surfaces in hand to know whether to agree with the BB or not.

I agree with Mike here. Knowing what TPGs do slab, I would have expected to see something more egregious get the BB.

I am giving it an XF-40 due to the obverse which brings it down a little. The reverse is Au-50 but some may call it XF-45. thumbsup2.gif

Now that I have read it was BB'd, that is so disappointing. Could it be another TPG would not BB it? Like ICG or ANACS? I'm with you, it is still a sellable coin.

It was BB for improper cleaning...........I really think the coin is market acceptable. It does not show any cleaning hairlines, it does have a couple hairlines as seen in the photo, but what 175 year old circulated coin doesn't and these hairlines about 10 total are more of the kind from opening a slide on an album. It's in my 7070 now, but I really would like to stay away from "problem coins" in my 7070, so I'm not sure what I will do with it.

I thought the coin might body-bag. The problem is that in addition to being cleaned, the toning doesn't look quite right - accelerated perhaps? This might be a case where the coin could be dipped and then album-ized for natural retoning.